LJ70 Shorty 2LT vs LJ72/3L and engine swap options

Discuss Land Cruiser related subjects here
SFARI
Town: fort portal
Vehicle: jimny

LJ70 Shorty 2LT vs LJ72/3L and engine swap options

Post by SFARI »

Good morning all ,I have been a lurker on this forum for years and thanks to you all I have got a huge amount of value.
I work up in Uganda where there is a large selection of 1980's and 1990's Toyota 4x4s of all shapes and size.

Cars and spares are easy to come by and fairly well priced ,you would all be like kids in a candy store !

Here is the question ....I have found two shorty land cruisers for sale the first is an LJ73 with a 2LT turbo diesel and an R151f transmission in good nick.

the second is a rare LJ72 with a 3L motor and the four speed G40 gearbox with the prado grille.

if I was to by the LJ72/4speed I would most likely just leave sleeping dogs lie and put up with the slow reliability of that combo.

if I was to go the LJ73 /2LT route I am nervous of this engines head cracking and (even though it looks ok and the body is light)

what would the collective wisdom be on an engine replacement be on this car if I was to swap ?

as I see it the options would be as follows.

3RZ FE-strong .reliable available and small enough for the engine bay .Questions on the gearbox fitting without modification and fuel consumption.

Kzte-some people are afraid of the heads ,lots of power, easily available .Gearbox compatibility?

1HZ-overkill on size and weight on the front axle .non turbo reliability is good

1PZ -may bolt straight onto the gearbox and will be shorter and a little lighter than the 1HZ.easy spares and non turbo reliability but relatively unknown.

1KD- sexy as hell ,lots of power ,electronics complications, expensive?

ideally i would like to use the car mostly for overland and it will continue to live in the third world.
I am leaning to the 1PZ as it is not popular in the large cruisers and I could potentially pick one up for cheap. I also suspect that the conversion may be the simplest option and give me good, long ,reliable service.(i may have to change the fly wheel from the Dual Mass standard on the 1PZ)

i have not spoken about the LJ72/3L car much but it was owned by an aircraft mechanic and although it has 350k on the clock it is in relatively good condition .if anyone has a rush of blood to the head and has swap suggestions for it ,feel free to go for it!

I am leaning toward the LJ72 ,its a great little car and it looks ok for its age.

Your Thoughts?
Last edited by SFARI on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
SFARI
Town: fort portal
Vehicle: jimny

Re: LJ70 Shorty 2LT vs LJ73/3L and engine swap options

Post by SFARI »

Apologies to the Lexus fans ,the 1UZ-FE would fit the engine bay ,not sure about the gearbox fitting but i think it would stand up to the power of the v8..that would be a Brute!!
sprinterguy
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1986 landcruiser lj70 swb, 1993 toyota 4runner v6

Re: LJ70 Shorty 2LT vs LJ72/3L and engine swap options

Post by sprinterguy »

Hi. I have a lj70 2lt bundera here in cape town. I've owned it for 20 years. The 2lt gets a bad rep but I've wheeled that everywhere. Spent 6 years just towing a 21 footer boat, it's not the most powerful but I have never had a days hassle. Embarresed many a Fortuner and hilux with this little beast. I have also thought about the Lexus route but it's not a safe option due to the 4x power. I was looking into a kztd motor so as not to bother with the problematic electronic pump, but spending 30k on a engine mod on a 50k vehicle not feasible. Enjoy your new ride which ever you decide.

Return to “Land Cruiser”