LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES...as a camper van...4.2L straight 6

Discuss Land Cruiser related subjects here
LANDCRUISER
Town: SYDNEY
Vehicle: HILUX

LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES...as a camper van...4.2L straight 6

Post by LANDCRUISER »

Hi bloggers

anyone had the experience of driving a landcruiser with 4.2L in a camper orientation???

Not sure why Toyota now make a 4.5L in V8 diesel double cab.....I need a double cab with a camper attached.

Any suggestions?

Rick
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES...as a camper van...4.2L straight

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Tom. Welcome to the forum! :thumbup: :thumbup:

A DC in a camper configuration!? A DC doesn't leave a lot of space in the load body area .... not enough for a camper unless you were to extend the rear overhang quite a bit, but that seriously affects an already poor departure angle. And then where would you pack all your kit? I think the main problem is where you're going to sleep. What the guys do here is one of three options;

• Utilize a ground tent or two with perhaps an awning or gazebo
• Fit a RTT .... possibly in conjunction with one or more of the above
• Use an off-road camping trailer .... also possibly in conjunction with one or more of the above.

I've seen SC's fitted out as campers, and that seems to work fairly well depending on your needs.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S.

Have a look at this topic, Tom. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LANDCRUISER
Town: SYDNEY
Vehicle: HILUX

Post by LANDCRUISER »

Hi Muddog

whats an RTT?

yep i was thinking about extending the rear chassis.

here in nz you can extend it out 4meters from the rear axle. That's alot, and your right the departure angle would be even worst.

I have experience in the hilux in a 4runner version. good vehicles but under powered in the 2.8D. also light clutch.

so the landcruiser sounded good (possibly modify a troop carrier type which already has 4 doors, and hence 4 seat capacity , extend the chassis by 2m, and add a lightweight fibreglass canopy onto it, with access from the inside cab.

see this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Landc ... 699wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still am looking, but need a 4x4 diesel which has a ADR plate (australain design rules) with date of 2007 , before i can buy and import it into nz.

are there any pictures of what this would look like as a camper?

Rick
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Extending the rear often leads to chassis snapping in the middle .... ouch !!

The other option is a custom camper canopy that extend over the cab section, then pops up when you are in camp. You actually sleep above the double cab section, with the back part being available for other purposes.

In SA there are a number of people manufacturing these, this gent definately being one of the more inventive:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... 792&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; see post 33

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... 67&page=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; see post 138
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rick / Tom ...... RTT = Roof top tent.

Chris, the 1st link (Landy) is very similar to Edge's setup. I never read through the thread, just looked at the pics but the only criticism I have there is that the overhang above the cab is too long and although he has it supported by a strut into the gutter rail, my questions would be;

• Is that support going to be sufficient over time, especially in light of the next point
• The cab and load body are separate and flex independently, so a roof support is going to suffer unless it has swivel joints top and bottom.
• Is then one support each side enough.

Otherwise I like the idea.

The second link / idea I don't like simply because of the extended overhang ...... departure angle and chassis integrity.

;-)

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Rick.
In Tanzania they use these ones for Safari's. I like the configuration. If I had to do a camper thing I would go for something like this.It has a pop up roof. They use it for game viewing but I will put a net around it and when you stop you have plenty of room.
I met a guy with a camper V8 diesel and man o man I would not mind the V8
IMG_5332.JPG
PS-I need to upgrade my Zoom lens :twisted:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Land Cruiser”