Front Runner roof rack bracket failure

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
salmonj
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hoedspruit
Vehicle: Landcruiser Prado,Rav, Hilux. 1995 Toyota Hilux d/c SFA, 2008 To Hilux SRX D/C

Front Runner roof rack bracket failure

Post by salmonj »

We did a trip up Ruacana and back through Etosha
Corrugations were bad in some patches
Front Runner brackets failed
Near Camp Synchro my brackets on the roof rack - 3 broke off on the bend in a straight line. (corner of the L shape).
I managed to bolt Aluminuim angle iron to the bracket to ensure it was reinforced so we could get home

Once we were home, I went to lift the Bundutec Tent off the canopy with a Fredlin hoist and found that 4 of the six brackets had sheared in the same way. How scary is that as I had been driving around our town at 120 km/h....a good bump and it would have flown off and could have catastrophic results

Has anybody else had problems of a similar nature

There are 2 pictures showing the top edge break. Then there is a roof bar upon which the tent rested showing one bracket whole and the other broken off at the corner. Then there is a picture of the bracket reinforced with a piece of aluminium angle iron bolted together

I am concerned that other people could have the same problems and could cause serious accidents

Sphinx_88
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1981 Hilux 4WD

Re: Front Runner roof rack bracket failure

Post by Sphinx_88 »

Hi John, have you sent the pictures to Front Runner for feedback?
"One Life - Drive It!!"
salmonj
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hoedspruit
Vehicle: Landcruiser Prado,Rav, Hilux. 1995 Toyota Hilux d/c SFA, 2008 To Hilux SRX D/C

Post by salmonj »

I have sent them all the detail. They say they have redesigned the brackets. However they are slightly smaller but made in the same way and no additional support. This was my concern..... the guys in the Landcruiser club have had plenty of problems as well. I don't believe the problem has been addressed sufficiently
Sphinx_88
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1981 Hilux 4WD

Post by Sphinx_88 »

can you add pictures of what the feet bolts onto on the vehicle side such as an aluminium canopy or track mount etc, because if the mounting surface where it mounts onto is flat, then I have got an affordable S/S bracket solution for you.
"One Life - Drive It!!"

Return to “Open Discussion”