What are you doing during Lockdown? Show your projects.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

What are you doing during Lockdown? Show your projects.

Post by dax021 »

Hi Forumites,

All of a sudden this forum has just died a sudden death. I am wondering if it because no one is at work and Hiluxers are maybe just too cheapskate to use their private internet connections, or is that they are so community minded that they have no time left to post? Other forums that I partake in are spiking, presumably as people have more time on their hands. Me, I am looking forward to the opportunity to catch up on plenty of home projects that I have been putting off for ages. Cleaning up and organising my workshop, for one
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Forum come to a standstill

Post by The Legend »

Hi Peter , i am also worried why the forum is so quiet.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Yep, also thought that there would be more traffic here since everyone sitting at home .......
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja Nee. Is dead quiet., not even somebody splitting on his neighbour for not staying inside.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Ah, good to see some of us are still alive. Thanks for the responses, and let's hope everything gets back to normal soon. Stay safe
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

People are busy with other tasks at home. Yesterday - before the damn WACS snapped yet again - I updated my old workshop computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I figured this would be a case in futility, as the PC was built in 2011 and features only 4GB RAM and a dual-core CPU. Yet it worked perfectly, took a while to do with all the updates (as it always does).

Today I installed Foxit, Free Office, Avast, Networx, and tried to install Malwarebytes but the internet problem reared its ugly head and my download conked out. Internet is working fine now though, will continue tomorrow.

This computer is only used for anything technical where I might require a schematic or other servicing information. The graphics display is by means on a 32" TV via HDMI.

Why the upgrade to Win10? Figured I might as well try it although I am a fan of Windows 7, by far one of the best OS's that MS had ever released. But I was keen to see whether the upgrade would still be free - it was! But I imagine this only applies if your previous versions of Windows OS was legal as well, mine was.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Ja wel,

What I have seen/experienced, Friday everybody was just sleeping in, relaxing, knowing there is another 20 days ahead to work on the honey-do list.

Saturday there was a bit more movement but still very quiet.

Today I heard more movement and saw a car or 2 pass. I reinstalled the reconditioned idler arm on the new old Hilux, installed a new speedo drive gear and new oil in the transfer case - although it is not the recommended 85w-140, since I only had 80w-90. Will change this as soon as I can smuggle the correct oil from somewhere.

Tomorrow, I guess some might mow the lawn, wash cars, etc.

I will attend to 2 plumbing emergencies - one is at an abattoir where there main water supply pipe has a nasty crack that has forced shut their operation until fixed. Then off to a pressure valve that is spraying water all over the property.

Somewhere in the next 19 days I have a mess of a garage to sort out, install shelves, reorganize, etc.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

O ja, I did make use of the forums search function to see the oil capacity.

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

And Peter,

I was on holiday in Wittedrift during December 2018/2019. If only I knew...

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Family_Dog wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 pm People are busy with other tasks at home. Yesterday - before the damn WACS snapped yet again - I updated my old workshop computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I figured this would be a case in futility, as the PC was built in 2011 and features only 4GB RAM and a dual-core CPU. Yet it worked perfectly, took a while to do with all the updates (as it always does).

Today I installed Foxit, Free Office, Avast, Networx, and tried to install Malwarebytes but the internet problem reared its ugly head and my download conked out. Internet is working fine now though, will continue tomorrow.

This computer is only used for anything technical where I might require a schematic or other servicing information. The graphics display is by means on a 32" TV via HDMI.

Why the upgrade to Win10? Figured I might as well try it although I am a fan of Windows 7, by far one of the best OS's that MS had ever released. But I was keen to see whether the upgrade would still be free - it was! But I imagine this only applies if your previous versions of Windows OS was legal as well, mine was.

-F_D
Family Dog, you should install an SSD harddrive,, expensive but so worth it. Makes an old machine feel faster then the new machines you can buy.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Luke, this particular PC is not mission critical, only for workshop use so not a consideration.

I have considered it with my main PC at home, but somehow I always have that nagging doubt about reliability issues with a SSD. Hard drives on average do me 7 years before I replace them and in all this time I have only had one HD die on me by itself. I do believe SSDs are more reliable now than the early ones, but still...?

Remember, I still own old Hiluxes, my newest model is a 2000 model while Bulldog is a 1987 model, yet it just keeps plodding on... See where I'm going here? :wave:

If ever I decide on a new Home Desktop, I figure I will then more than likely give it a go.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thabogrobler wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 pm And Peter,

I was on holiday in Wittedrift during December 2018/2019. If only I knew...
Hi Thabo, bummer, if we survive this crisis, maybe I'll see you at the end of this year.

Ditto on the SSD story. I have a tablet running windows. It can only accept a maximum of 2Gb RAM and came out with Win 7. Lately I tried to upgrade to Win 10, but just wouldn't accept it. My local computer shop swapped out the old hard drive for a 512Gb SSD, and viola, working like a dream
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

So far the lux has got a full valet.
Next up is service time (bought all the consumables the day before shutdown), fix choke, paint shocks black, and install some lekker diff breathers.
This puppy is going to be glowing by the time three weeks are up!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

My list is so long I think 3 weeks will be too short.
Today I sprayed down the whole house with high pressure washer.
Tomorrow will start painting. Will paint outside, inside, boundry walls, etc.
Have two balconies to chop off the tiles, re seal and put new tiles.

Been finding excuses not to do it for the past 2 years, now I have to do it.

Told myself that if I can finish this before the 3 weeks are over I can then play with my toys.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Pieter,

Maybe change this threads name to 'My 3 week working holiday' or something?

Today was a buggerup of note. Only some of my suplliers is open and only certain hours.

One from 08:00 to 09:00 and again 14:00 to 15:00

The other, Monday, Wednesday and Friday 08:00 to 10:00.

And the biggest 09:00 to 12:00.

Small domestic spares are plenty all over but the bigger commercial stuff is pretty scares now.

Now imagine I have to check stock with the guys who only open at 09:00 but can get it as the guy who closes at 09:00.... and then when.on site figuring out it is the wrong size!

Today I drove more than 250km just to get the correct parts(even the client went to fetch spares at one point) and still.could not finish tje job. Hopefull tomorrow will be more productive.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Peter, is it OK with you if we change your thread's name?
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/cab 3.0KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: HC355

Post by Matewis007 »

Dink die manne is almal besig om aan hulle Hilux'e te werk! Verander, verbeter etc
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

pietpetoors wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:04 pm Peter, is it OK with you if we change your thread's name?
Pieter, absolutely, I think it is a good idea. I always find it difficult deciding on a topic name and this one was just the 1st to come to mind, so please, go ahead
pietpetoors

Re: What are you doing during Lockdown? Show your projects.

Post by pietpetoors »

Done.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

:think: :think:

cleaned the 1st garage, found a lot of electrical stuff I didn't know I had...got bored with that so carried on building my new sliding gate but ran out of steel.
IMG_20200330_205845_381_338x600.jpg
IMG_20200330_210101_839_800x450.jpg
IMG_20200404_155321_091_800x450.jpg
Took a chainsaw to a real pain in the behind tree, that was kinda fun...lots of frustration vented there. :tickedoff: Completely cut down it's little brother pushing out my lime tree....and nearly got arrested for stacking the aftermath outside, the SOB had his 9mm service pistol unclipped and one hand on it, so I decided not to pick a fight, damn idiot...common sense really isn't that common it seems...
IMG_20200407_152724_417_800x450.jpg
The chainsaw worked such a treat that 8 shrubs also met an early demise :boss: 4 of them scratched my Hilux so they had to go.... :mrgreen:

Today the neighbor's frangipani tree that is lurking over the wall lost half its foliage , washing line is now getting sun from 2 directions :o:

Cleaned out the back garage; discovered enough material to start 5 projects but not enough to complete one.
Built a rocket stove..
Got the pool pump going with a temporary McGuyver fix, pipe between the weir and pump is sucking air somewhere, but with everything closed....bushfix
Killed at least 2 rats that I'm aware of.
Replaced a faulty solenoid valve on the irrigation system
Sanded the rubberising on the hilux level so that the canopy rubber seals better
IMG_20200402_144123_500_800x450.jpg
Still to come:
Re-route the conduit to meet up with new gate motor anchor /track
Put a WiFi node in the garage and hook up all the outside lights to my server
Build some extra poles for the patio roof with leftover steel (part of an upcoming winter project)
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Sheesh! You've been busy boet! :D:

Also had to get out one of the three chain saws ..... decided on the electric one ..... quieter and no starting issues after lying dormant for so long. Reason was an old loquat tree that had two large branches break and fall into the neighbour's yard after some strong winds. The tree should come out altogether but I just never had the heart to deprive the large variety of birds, fruit bats and dassies that come to feed.

No great shakes other than that, besides the regular stuff like cutting grass, walking around with a leaf-vac, a little pool cleaning and picking up the dog crap. :D:

Just been feeling too lazy to tackle any of the projects on my list, so the most notable achievement over the past 3 weeks is probably the new depression in the sofa .... blame Netflix and YouTube. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

My Solar panels has been fitted. Orienatation is Nort West because I attached it to the wall. I made it adjustable so I can change the angle.
I used a 150 watt panel which is way too big to charge my 105Ah battery for the house's lights, but the extra size makes up for the imperfect orientation. Actually Nort West is not so bad by us because we have this sunset which lasts for ever. When I fitted the cable from garage to the roof about 8 months back I only had 2.5mm cable with me and fitted it. It is about 8 meters long and my voltage drop is only 0.5 volts. Having a 22 volt panel, I still get more than enough volts downstairs. O ja and at the moment i use a LiFePo battery. The LiFePo worked great while I was charging it with the normal battery charger on mains as I only had to charge it on average once in 5 days. But now that the panel will keep it fully charged during the day and it only slightly discharge during the evening I am not sure if the constant charging will damage the battery. If I see it doesn't work well I will rather revert back to my old Lead Acid. At least the lead acid will discharge more during the evening's use and the panel can fully charge it during the day.

The stoep has been tiled. The original tiles were too high and leaked between the tiles and wall. So I had to remove the tiles and the original screet. I first sealed between the wall and floor with Sika's Cemflex and then did the tiling

Roof painted - Some of you handymen will find this interresting. My roof is a concrete slab which has those bituman sheets on. Normally they paint those with that terrible aluminium paint which always gives off and which is very expensive and time consuming to paint. The house has these little pillars sticking out on the roof and the top of those pillars are also seald with the sheets. Since the first time I painted the house I sommer paintdr those sealed tops with the same paint as the walls and I painted on top of the shiny paint. At some stage I had to repaint the roof with the shiny stuff and it was damn expensive and a mess.

By the time the roof needed repainting again I realised that the wall paint I've put on the pillar tops are lasting longer than the shiny stuff. So the next time the roof needed repainting I used wall paint. It lasted very long and all of the sudden the roof was always clean so that you can actually walk on the roof and go back into the house without getting scolded. So during the lock down I repainted the whole roof again and this time with pure white which is far cooler the previous cream colour and even cooler than the shiny stuff used to be.

Also revamped and replanted by roof top veggie garden.

Solar
Solar
Solar
Solar
tiles
tiles
Stoep
Stoep
Roof
Roof
Plante
Plante
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Pieter, seems you are living permanently in Paradise! If I lived there, I would never leave my house :)

-F_D

Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

I like your tiling Pieter, very neat!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice work! :thumbup:

ABE (African Bitumen Emulsions) used to make the old "Malthoid" sheeting that was used on flat roofs as well as the primer for both wood and concrete substrates (BituSeal), in addition they made numerous other bituminous products to maintain the Mallhoid sheeting including that silver paint you mention. Actually there were two silver paints that they made, "Silvakote Bituminous Aluminium" and "Silvershine". Silvershine was not meant for Malthoid maintenance but was often used by unscrupulous contractors because it was cheaper and the result over time was disastrous.

So much for the history lesson but I am 99.9% sure that what you have there is not Malthoid but rather either a product called "TorchOn" or "ABE Unigum" which are far hardier and much more forgiving. Silvakote (not Silvershine) is a good product for "TorchOn" but not if you're going to be walking over it all the time. I understand why the PVA has lasted well by comparison in your case and it certainly is an option for you. Heat reflection is important, hence the silver and also why the white works well too. Something else you might want to consider in future is either ABE Super Lacryl which is now available in white as well or alternatively Sika Raincoat which is also available in white. Not overly expensive either. Better quality Sika products would be "BlackSeal" but only available in black and then Sikalastic 601 BC available in white but these are more pricey products. :winkx:

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:37 pm Sheesh! You've been busy boet! :D:
Yeah with all the extra sleep my mind is active again...my body is just battling to keep up, LOL!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Hell, you guys have been far too busy. Just reading this post has exhausted me. I'm going back to bed.
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East london
Vehicle: Toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC359

Post by Tristin »

Evening gents
Since I bought this hilux this bull bar has been a eye sore. I have been playing around with a few idea's and this is where I am at now
Attachments
20200422_183844.jpg
20200415_184711.jpg
20200412_192002.jpg
20200412_192518.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Tristin. As I said on our local watsapp group, that bumper is too bulky and looks like it belongs on a big-rig. Probably weighs a ton as well. Glad to see that you're progressing with the replacement. You got your winch box done, now maybe just finish it off with pipes. Something like this .......

4wheeling051.jpg
1994 Truck.jpg
Tubingbumper1.jpg

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Agreed definitely for a bigger rig,I'm working towards something similar to this. The roller for the winch cable will be recessed, or else it will stick out to far and will be hit
Attachments
images.jpeg-2.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If you recess the fairlead rollers it means that you will have to enlarge the winch box further forward .... then the whole bumper protrudes further forward. Not ideal as it will significantly impact the approach angle. I would still mount the fairlead outside with a narrower winch box .... those fairleads are tough enough to take a huge whack, ask me, I know. :D: (You'll bend the bumper before damaging the fairlead.)

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

I'm not worried about bending the bumper😆 it's going to be solid
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Small update to the bumber...the angle iron underneath took forever , as you have to line up the holes and still be able to take the bumber out in one piece
Attachments
20200425_163829.jpg
20200425_163822.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:shock: Tristin, why are you using such heavy gauge material? That looks like 5 or 6 mm plate .... way too heavy .... 2.1mm would be more than sufficient. That would be OK for the winch base plate .... you must minimise any extra weight possible. Remember that any weight addition beyond the axle has a downward leverage factor that, besides the weight itself, is negatively affected the further forward it is. This is right in front and is compounded by the weight of the winch itself. I think you're creating a problem for yourself. :naah:

Not too late to turn around now. :winkx:

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Hi Andy yes I do agree with what you said,I mite have gone a little over board.That is the main structure and everything else will be skinned in 2mm or 3mm plate
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

If memory serves the main mounts and winch box on the LTD bumper is 8 mm plate...
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Small update after yesterday afternoon
Attachments
20200427_173548.jpg
20200426_162915.jpg
Harm JR.
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Hilux

Post by Harm JR. »

I thought it was just me noticing how awfully quiet the forum has gotten. Good to see everyone awake again, even tho I am finding this thread a bit late.

Being an apprenticing knifemaker with my father and our workshop being built into the house, we've got work as usual thankfully but we are hindered by the fact that international shipments are closed completely. (Hopefully that should ease up now)

That aside, I have been working on some side projects. Started off neatening up the outside of the house and throwing away all the unnecessary garbage (which is currently in a pile hidden away waiting to go to the dump) followed by random stuff around the house and finally, work on the Thunderbolt (my 1uz powered 89 D/C)

I have mentioned on another thread that I have been having issues with the diff so that's going to be my next big fix second to building a bracket for my fairlead where the bumper was cut away to fit the winch (done by previous owner.) I'll post pics of that hopefully this weekend when I get down to it. I'm not too fond of the overall design of the bumper so I'm planning on either chopping most of it away and rebuilding it or just starting from scratch. For now its fine so I'm not too concerned with that

I have built a bracket to mount my spotlights to the roof rack which I know might not be completely legal but i do have the covers for them so I'm hoping I won't have any issues. Then again it doesn't see much normal road so that should be okay. They haven't been wired up yet as I'm waiting my switch panel and wiring harnesses to be delivered. Also meaning to mount the other two rear facing and two mini light bars on either side. Don't have the ones for the side yet but everything else I had acquired pretty easily so they'll do for now. They are pretty ancient but I've bought some newer bulbs which I hope will make things better. The reflectors are pretty mint as well. Haven't taken any pics of that. Can you tell I'm obsessed with lighting? Image

Original plan was to weld the bracket to the rack but then I realized it was aluminium so that plan went out the window and now it's bolted on. The bracket is overkill but we love overbuilding and that's the steel I had. Started by drilling out the holes, cut out the shape on the bandsaw and ground everything neat on one of our belt grinders. Sprayed hammerite as a base coat waiting to get some black paint but I couldn't wait to see how it turned out.

The next plan for the roof rack is to mount it to the gutters above the body. Right now it's bolted to the canopy.

Apart from the mods, I've got a lot of work to do because from what I can tell, the entire build wasn't done very well so there's a lot of things I need to address. Don't want to bore anyone just yet (but I'm sure I have already)

I must apologise for the long stories but in my defence, I joined this forum as a very young kid admiring the builds of everyone here, asking stupid questions and longing to have a magically built SFA of my own which mostly stemmed from my dads love for them. I've always loved his 97 22r but it never got modded in any way and only now do I actually appreciate that. I'm finally living my dream and it feels good to be able to share that with a community with the same interests as myself.

Thanks for the read Image
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Update on the bull bar
After many hours later, I finally had to accept that the fiberglass cab is not built down to the last millimeter. :blink:
Attachments
20200503_125653.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Looking good. :winkx:

Keanelec7
Town: Port louis
Vehicle: Toyota hilux vigo 2010

Post by Keanelec7 »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44548
Sorry to intrude i asked a question about central lock . Can anyone help please. Thank you
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Wasn't going to post this and it's a bit late now but seeing as the forum is so quiet .......

Was buggering about in my workshop over lock-down with some menial stuff and then decided replace my old buggered weather vane with a new one and a completely different concept.

Rummaged through my off-cuts and scrap iron. Pulled out these rusty bits and cleaned them off
20200517_142530.jpg
The round bar is 8mm, the pieces of round tubing are 13mm i/d and 16mm o/d the square tubing is 20mm.

I split the sq tube from corner to corner to give me a thin walled, light weight angle iron and cut the now 4 pieces to equal lengths (longest that I could get out of those pieces) and treated with rust converter.
20200517_142658.jpg
I cut 4 pieces of the 8mm round bar, each exactly 90mm long and marked back 12mm on one end of each. These were welded to the inside of the angle iron with the internal overlap up to the 12mm mark. This would be my four "vanes" which I then trimmed ever so slightly to get back to exactly equal weights on each of them.
20200517_142828.jpg
From there I cut an 80mm length of the 16mm tubing and welded a 6mm thick end cap over one end. That gave me a sleeve of 13mm i/d with one end closed. I ran a 13mm drill bit down the inside on a drill press, just enough to create a small depression on the inside of that end cap. A drill press is not a lathe or milling machine, but the depression should be very close to centre. I then followed that with a 6mm drill bit to clean up the depression and give it a sharper "V" point.

I welded the four "vanes" perpendicular to the 80mm sleeve at 90° apart and 70mm off the open end.

Open end
20200517_142845.jpg
Capped end
20200517_142855.jpg
This 'rotor' is very close to perfect balance (I used a long nail with cleaned sharp point to check it's balance point).

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I then took a piece of 12mm round bar and cut a 45° tapered point on one end. Again, I have no lathe, so I used the drill press with a make-shift end "guide" to get the taper as true as I could.
The pic shows it already greased as I had tested it for functionality.
20200517_143004.jpg
Here is where I checked the rotor on the pointed shaft .... It turned so easily that just by blowing lightly on it would get it to turn.
20200517_143034.jpg

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

weather vane?

So if it turns it means the wind is blowing?

If water drips from it, it means it is raining?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

With that part complete, I took an off-cut of 114 x 38 meranti rafter wood (a scrap from when I built my porch awning about 18 yrs ago .... can you believe it! :shock2: ). Cut it to the shape I wanted ...... (my band-saw blade had snapped prior to lock-down, so I used a jigsaw).
20200517_143048.jpg
I used meranti because it would last much better than pine out in the elements and I was looking for another adequately sized piece of meranti scrap wood from which to fashion the tail arm when I came across this old piece of an old broom handle ... it was sapele, also a hard wood, so I thought it would do.
20200517_143121.jpg
It wasn't perfectly round but more or less 23mm diameter. Drilled a 24mm at a slight angle and 100mm deep into the one end of the meranti piece with a spade bit ....
20200517_143149.jpg
.... and rather than glue it, I set the broom stick into the hole with Sikaflex. It ain't coming apart ever.
20200517_143201.jpg

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Update on the Bullbar
Got all the lights in place and drilled holes for the winch
Attachments
20200606_220629.jpg
20200510_194448.jpg
20200509_173727.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

pietpetoors wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 pm weather vane?

So if it turns it means the wind is blowing?

If water drips from it, it means it is raining?

Pretty much. :laugh2:

With the angle iron sections all pointed in the same rotational direction it behaves like the rotor of an anemometer in the breeze / wind with the air being separated over the pointed front edges (less drag) and trapped in the "V" shape of the rear edges (more drag). It works pretty well. :winkx:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Tristin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:25 pm Update on the Bullbar
Got all the lights in place and drilled holes for the winch
Looking good so far Tristin! :thumbup:
Proud of you! :winkx:

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Thanks Andy😋
I took your advice about the weight of the bull bar previously mentioned.I used 2mm steel for the inserts and fog light surrounds.The bullbars dry weight meaning (no lights and no winch) stand at 42kgs,where the previous bullbar was 38.2kgs.
If all goes to plan, I am fitting the bull bar completed this weekend.😀
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice going Tristin! But you see how quickly the weight builds up! :winkx:

Whenever I cut a 45° end off a piece of flat steel I throw the off cut into a tub and use those as gussets when I need one. In this case I welded a small one to the end of a piece of 8mm round bar and the shank of an 8mm coach bolt (some folk call then carriage bolts) to the the other end.
20200518_121242.jpg
Screwed it into the other end of the meranti block (also with Sikaflex to seal and set it).
20200518_121531.jpg
I never took any pics of the next steps but I cut a vane fin from some old bits of sheet metal and set it into a groove which I cut into the end of the broomstick tail arm. Again I used Sikaflex to set it in place.
I used some more 8mm bar to make a set of skegs. Before positioning and fitting the skegs I checked the weight distribution so that the COG of the overall unit would still be in the wide portion of the meranti body.
20200521_155855.jpg
There is a piece of that 16mm tube running through the main body at the exact COG. Again, perfectly balanced.

I set up a temporary post and slipped the two parts onto the sharpened 12mm bar ....
20200521_160414.jpg
The weather vane turns nice and freely / smoothly, pointing into the wind with even a very light breeze. I was chuffed that it worked so well. :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Next was painting .....
20200525_155818.jpg
20200527_174420.jpg
Made a bracket for the post and after all the painting / sealing was done, I mounted it.
20200604_144419.jpg
Klaar gelag ... all done. :D:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Maybe not .... that gable end looks like it could also use a touch of paint on the fascia and a lick of 'varnish' on the wood.

pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

That is very cool Andy.

Tristan I like your bumper. Going to look awesome when done.
Gert Greeff
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melkbosstrand
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 3L D4D, 4x4

Post by Gert Greeff »

Over and above stripping my vehicle completely inside for a propper deep clean, I have decided it is nou time to build a new shower/toilet cubical for the camping trips. This is now my 3rd design and I trust it will be the last.

Luckily I could still source the gazebo sides that I have usesed for the project. It fits onto my roofrack and it slides out and away from the vehicle. Size, 1.2m x 1.2m, complete with roof cover for the rainy days or fog along the west coast. What makes this material awesome is the fact that I have used a standard household machine for the stitching. The material is light, dries quicly and is not see through with a light inside in the evening, [IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... 02cdf7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... f911da.jpg[/IMG]ImageImageImage[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... e951e9.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... a3f6ba.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... 7918a5.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202006 ... d6e6f8.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:05 pm Next was painting .....
20200525_155818.jpg
20200527_174420.jpg

Made a bracket for the post and after all the painting / sealing was done, I mounted it.
20200604_144419.jpg

Klaar gelag ... all done. :D:
That is a completely different outcome to what I had expected and oh so awesome! :thumbup: Must resist the urge to show the wive, else it just gets added to my honey do list :blink:
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

Post by smokintyres »

Speaking of the "honey-do" list; this one had been on said list for two years.
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 16.15.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-16 at 11.42.04.jpeg
Turned out ok, could have made it deeper, DVD player, or rather the cables barely fit... Shutterply and 32 and 25mm steel square tubing came to less than R500. Rollers, guides and tracks for the sliding doors were more than twice that :blackeye: Oh, and the TV is on a swing-out bracket that would normally be wall mounted. But the wife likes to move furniture around frequently, soooo the TV is fixed to the cupboard instead.
Gert Greeff
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melkbosstrand
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 3L D4D, 4x4

Post by Gert Greeff »

smokintyres wrote:Speaking of the "honey-do" list; this one had been on said list for two years.
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-02 at 16.15.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-16 at 11.42.04.jpeg
Turned out ok, could have made it deeper, DVD player, or rather the cables barely fit... Shutterply and 32 and 25mm steel square tubing came to less than R500. Rollers, guides and tracks for the sliding doors were more than twice that :blackeye: Oh, and the TV is on a swing-out bracket that would normally be wall mounted. But the wife likes to move furniture around frequently, soooo the TV is fixed to the cupboard instead.
Your cabinet looks good... Image

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Tristin
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tristin »

Update on the bull
Slowly coming together :cooldude: need to sort out the paint work where the original parks and indicators should sit.
Attachments
20200614_172332.jpg
20200614_172342.jpg
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

smokintyres wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:31 pm Speaking of the "honey-do" list; this one had been on said list for two years. .......... But the wife likes to move furniture around frequently, soooo the TV is fixed to the cupboard instead.
Turned out good. :thumbup:
Such a pity that one cannot get decent solid timber board any more unless you do special orders and are prepared to pay through the nose. Glue-lam was trash in my day, but then became more acceptable as the industry moved to chip board / composition board. Personally I preferred using the untreated shutter ply like you did .... no ugly mismatched grain / timber colour and the unsightly lightning joints. I suppose the glue-lam is ok for internal bases and shelves.

Fibre board is not too bad an option either but can give a very "busy" appearance. I recall a job many years ago where I panelled out a restaurant / bar from floor to ceiling with the stuff after remodelling all the internal walls (it had been a bakery before). Even the face panels on the bar counter and cabinet door panels were made using the stuff. I didn't like the busy result but the customer wanted it and was happy with it.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Tristin wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:02 pm Update on the bull
Slowly coming together :cooldude: need to sort out the paint work where the original parks and indicators should sit.
Nice, Tristin! How are you going to access the change lever on the winch?

Return to “Open Discussion”