Hilux 2.8diesel water pump housing

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Stretch154
Town: Calliope
Vehicle: 1993 Toyota Hilux

Hilux 2.8diesel water pump housing

Post by Stretch154 »

So have had a look at this 2.8 diesel water pump problem and found half of the housing (part of the block) eaten away it’s always had coolant in it and has been changed regularly bit mystified as to why it’s eaten away like that but number 1burning question is is it replaceable or do I have to get it welded
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux 2.8diesel water pump housing

Post by Mud Dog »

The 2.8 is an old motor so you might well have some difficulty getting spares. I would try agents first just in case you get lucky and find someone that still has stock. Then you can try scrap yards / breaker's yards for used parts but make sure it isn't corroded as well. last resort would be to have it welded up.

The thing with coolant / anti-freeze is that although it prevents rust and corrosion, it isn't indefinitely effective and needs to be replaced, ideally every year.

Good luck with your problem. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

As Mud Dog stated but it also depends on which antifreeze was used. Most of the ones sold at Midas / Auto zone does not have rust inhibitors in them. It is just an antifreeze. Use agent’s antifreeze as they are of good quality. I usually use the Mercedes antifreeze, it is so potent that if poured undiluted onto corrosion it eats it up. Always dilute first if dilutable then use. The Toyota one is just as good.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I got one from the agents, but you can also buy a replacement from Terrain Tamer I think.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure if Terrain Tamer will have outlets in Italy / Europe, but I'm sure you can order on line ..... just the shipping that will make it expensive.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Mud Dog wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:28 pm Not sure if Terrain Tamer will have outlets in Italy / Europe, but I'm sure you can order on line ..... just the shipping that will make it expensive.
Missed that, I assumed he was in SA
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

We all make that mistake sometimes. :D:

Return to “Open Discussion”