Rust prevention advice please.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Rust prevention advice please.

Post by zepplin »

Erecting a carport with Colourbond IBR roof sheeting but since the longer sides of the carport are not parallel (far end narrower by 600 over a distance of 7m), I need to trim the sheets at an angle to allow for this.

What product would the boffins here recommend to treat the newly cut edges to prevent rusting?

Thanks in advance gents.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rust prevention advice please.

Post by Mud Dog »

What colour is the sheeting? If its terra cotta or red you could just touch up the cut ends with two coats of red-oxide.

The rust converter is not necessary of newly cut metal and IMO the oxide works better even though it is essentially an etch primer.

If it were me, I would use the oxide (the automotive one) and forget about it. Just don't apply too thickly at a time since it's thinner based which might attack the existing epoxy coating if too thickly applied. Then if the colour is not reddish, I'd coat it with a similar colour enamel afterwards. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

will the cut-ends be out in the open ?

OR is it possible to keep the cut ends on the side where you flash against a wall ?
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Sheeting is white and the cut ends will be slid in under an existing IBR roof with a 50mm overlap so colour of treatment is not an issue.
Will go with Andy's suggestion then.

Thanks Oompies. :clap:
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

50 mm is not enough. At what angle will the Ibr be installed at? If the over lap is not enough you will get leaking, you will be surprised what a gentle wind can do to water . If at all possible try increase the overlap to at least 250mm and give a good dose of silicon sealant between the two. If you have the angle pm it to me and I can check what the building regulations say with regards to the overlap required.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Dowe Koos
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

+1
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

50mm is nowhere near enough, even 250mm as Quentin suggested is borderline depending on the pitch of the roof.

Treat the edges as suggested to prevent premature rust and then flash the overlap area with ABE Super Lacryl + membrane so as to seal it .... unless of course you don't mind water getting in through the overlap almost every time it rains. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

My experience is that only red oxide is not enough, you need to seal the red oxide, best is to do 2 layers of red oxide or Duram NS5 (which also comes in red) and then paint top coat like a white enamel paint. But I am like 200m from the sea so rust far worse by me.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The automotive red oxide works OK. I have had many items out in the weather (some for 15 - 20 yrs) with just the oxide coating without any rust to this day. (I'm also close to the sea, but probably not as harsh as the W/Cape).

If you start with a clean, rust-free surface and there is no subsequent abrasion / chipping of the coating, it lasts.
Something else that works well (but relatively expensive) is cold galvanising (Plascon PolyZinc).
:winkx:

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

You okes really know how to spoil a weekend né/ :cooldude:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Pietpetoors: >> "But I am like 200m from the sea"

Mud Dog: >> "I'm also close to the sea"

Family_Dog: >> "Ahh Shuddup you two! I'm 700km from the sea..." :scratch: :blackeye:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Obelix and Dogmatix
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

+ 1000 Mr mud dog
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Eric, you can always come and visit or even retire here. :D:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

question to those in the know -

what is your opinion on the practice of bending up the lip of the sheet to assist in preventing the rain being blown into and over the overlap section ? I have seen guys bending about 5 to 10mm of the edge up at 45 degrees ....
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Chris, it obviously does help a little but I have to wonder how much actual benefit is achieved. A driving wind could push the water over that 'tip-up'.

I think that most guys these days just fit the 'closures' under the capping or flashing, It's a sectional strip of flat sheet that already has the roofing profile cut out and bent down and when fitted only leaves small gaps that break the force of strong winds preventing water to be driven up under the capping / flashing by more than a few centimetres.

Return to “Open Discussion”