Home CCTV.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Home CCTV.

Post by zepplin »

Researching this is like swimming in quicksand - analog, digital, bullet, dome, covert, AHT, IP.........blah blah blah.....

Has anyone recently installed a system at home or work who can give some advice?

Thanks
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Home CCTV.

Post by zepplin »

OK...stand by with the above. Like a chop I only did a search AFTER I posted the above.

Let me sift through the results and see if some light is shed. :surrender:

Note to self: SEARCH FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

If you have the funds.. head for digital and NVR. Much better quality video etc.

Analog is cheap and alright quality. You will be able to see if someone / something is there but not to much detail unless they get right up to the camera
To God be the glory
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

I've got a swan make. 500g hard drive 4 channel and option to view via an app on your phone. Works very well for me.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Ismail, analogue/digital? Colour/b&W, infra red? Where did you get it from?
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

I see Samsung have a nice 4 camera digital kit for around R8.5k. Price suits my budget too.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

CasKru wrote:If you have the funds.. head for digital andNVR. Much better quality video etc.

Analog is cheap and alright quality. You will be able to see if someone / something is there but not to much detail unless they get right up to the camera
Cassie, NVR vs DVR........what's the difference?
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Steve I'll check the specs tonight but it's colour and very good black and white and night my one went for around 7k but paid a good 3k on one day only. Has infrared and all that fancy stuff. Makro also sells the swann brand from my research it was the better than samsung
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Digital Video Recorder (Analog) & Network Video Recorder (Digital).

Hikvision is one of the better brands out there. They have protection against incorrect polarity etc. If you go with Digital (NVR) try and get 3 mega pixel cameras instead of 1.3 mp. They are more pricey but the quality is superior.

With the digital version you can use only the cameras as they can function without the NVR but if you are wanting to record the action you will need the NVR.

Also try and get POE cameras and NVR witch save you a lot of effort as the power for the cameras is fed through the network cable (Cat-5).
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

PS: With DVR system cameras you work with TVL as the quality indicator and the best (where you can actually see a difference is 720 TVL)

With NVR cameras you work with Mega Pixels
To God be the glory
rood
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 4LT V6 Prado 120, 3L Extra cab D4d 4x4, Suzuki SJ413

Post by rood »

Zepplin, please send me you email, i can assist you, my email is rood@rscctv.co.za

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks Cassie.

After bumbling my way around different sites it looks like Hikvision is the one to go for. You get what you pay for is the old saying so happy to spend more now.

Thanks for the explanations. :clap: :clap:

Rood - mail address is stevesara65(at)gmail(dot)com.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Steve, YES, ratherr pay more now.

NOTHING as frustrating as capturing "outlines" and not being able to use the video .....

two things to check for:
- quality of the video in low light
- how does it record number plates at night ? (a flash will cause the plate to over expose ....)
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Hi Zeppelin

There is a 3rd option which has grown tremendously in popularity - HDCCTV or SDi or a number of other trade names. Difference here is that you get HD over conventional RG59 coax cable so there is no need for network switch and networking knowledge (well a little is needed if you want to hook the DVR up to the internet so you can access remotely on phone or tablet). Hikvision, the company mentioned earlier, make these HD systems too. Google youtube hikvision hdcctv. Standard definition is cheaper but I would suggest that you pay the difference and go for HD.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Mervyn, I know it's possible (what I know about these systems is dangerous) to hook up to internet. I have two blocks of flats and for some time have toyed with the idea of fitting CCTV at both locations that I can access separately from home at any given time. The system you mention would be suitable for this? How many channels / cameras can be connected per unit? Can any of these cameras be rotated / panned via internet?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Andy you can do this with any of the above type systems. The PTZ (pan tilt zoom) cameras are just really expensive. And with you thinking along these lines I'm sure the quality of the images is quite important to you. So I think the only descent version for you to go for would be NVR system.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks Cassie. The pan type could end up saving me in respect of the number of cameras that I would require - I could in some instances substitute 3 fixed ones with one pan type. That'll not only offset the cost of the fixed units but also the number of channels required. And yes image quality good enough for facial recognition at about 15 - 20 metres.

I would also like to operate the complete installation off solar - completely independent of the grid (24 x 7), so either I would need a 12V / 24V system or make use of an inverter.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Just keep in mind that if you use a PTZ camera it can only see a sections at a time whereas 3 cameras can check three sections at a time as well as recording it.

You will also probably be able to buy 3 descent fixed cameras for the same price as a PTZ.
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks, I have considered this and it is definitely a disadvantage with PTZ units. Will see what's more suitable when I get that far. :winkx:

Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

For home use I would go with a mid range DVR and analog cameras use cat 5 with baluns so you can see what is going on as for the recording you can see what happened but cant do much with it.Easy to maintain and cheep.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks for the advice Scott.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Scott wrote:For home use I would go with a mid range DVR and analog cameras use cat 5 with baluns so you can see what is going on as for the recording you can see what happened but cant do much with it.Easy to maintain and cheep.
therein lies the big question - WHY do "you" want a camera ?

NO use getting the outlines of people doing the deed, even getting the brand of the vehicle, but you cant read the number plate (due to crappy video quality), nor can you identify the purps .....

if you are going to spend money on cameras you might as well get a system that works .... OR, just use the money for a decent holiday ....

I have seen too many instances where you get to the point of NEEDING that video footage, and you actually DID get the "act", and it is recorded .... but due to bad quality video it is less than useless !!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ChrisF wrote:
Scott wrote:For home use I would go with a mid range DVR and analog cameras use cat 5 with baluns so you can see what is going on as for the recording you can see what happened but cant do much with it.Easy to maintain and cheep.
therein lies the big question - WHY do "you" want a camera ?

NO use getting the outlines of people doing the deed, even getting the brand of the vehicle, but you cant read the number plate (due to crappy video quality), nor can you identify the purps .....

if you are going to spend money on cameras you might as well get a system that works .... OR, just use the money for a decent holiday ....

I have seen too many instances where you get to the point of NEEDING that video footage, and you actually DID get the "act", and it is recorded .... but due to bad quality video it is less than useless !!
+10
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Friend got a perfect clip of the crow-bar-thieves : breaking into the house across from his.

The FULL break-in, from circling the block, reversing back, actually using the crow-bars to brake open the safety gate. Even got a nice pic of the beemer they were driving in, with the rear plate aimed straight at the camera.

It was a low cost installation .....

Only thing he could confirm to the cops - number of people and brand of vehicle.

Okay, we know they change the reg numbers frequently. But on the day it is very handy if you know what you are looking for ... not like you can pull over each and every single beemer. And even if they caught the guys, no way you could identify anybody from that footage !!

to add insult to injury - this was late afternoon, NOT dark
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

The lesser quality cameras is also more susceptible to light conditions. If it's a cloudy day they tend to fair better (the clouds act as a defuser for the sunlight) and you get fairly good quality images. When the sun is out you sometimes get over exposed areas especially if you have lots of contrasts in your view.

Then also when the cloud cover is to thick there is not enough light for proper footage.
To God be the glory
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

I beginning to think a 4x4 system is the way to go.....4 x pitbulls for outside and 4 x pythons for inside. :frustrated:
rood
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Polokwane
Vehicle: 4LT V6 Prado 120, 3L Extra cab D4d 4x4, Suzuki SJ413

Post by rood »

Zepplin

Please send me your cel number, i want to give you a call if it is in order.

thanks

Return to “Open Discussion”