LED Bars in Namibia

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
smokintyres
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6, relatively standard; for now...

LED Bars in Namibia

Post by smokintyres »

Seeing that quite a few fellow Hiluxers have chosen Namibia as their Holiday destination; a heads up (or should I say lights down?):
A couple of 4x4 owners have been fined for having fitted LED bars to their vehicles. The fines were reportedly in the region of N$2000! Not sure what the legislation is in SA, but the LED bars are in contravention with the law in terms of number of lights fitted and brightness of the lights. Don't try to argue with the officers, it will only get you into deeper trouble.

Apparently some were allowed to remove the LED bars then and there in order to avoid the hefty fine, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: LED Bars in Namibia

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

smokintyres wrote:Seeing that quite a few fellow Hiluxers have chosen Namibia as their Holiday destination; a heads up (or should I say lights down?):
A couple of 4x4 owners have been fined for having fitted LED bars to their vehicles. The fines were reportedly in the region of N$2000! Not sure what the legislation is in SA, but the LED bars are in contravention with the law in terms of number of lights fitted and brightness of the lights. Don't try to argue with the officers, it will only get you into deeper trouble.

Apparently some were allowed to remove the LED bars then and there in order to avoid the hefty fine, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
They are too bright in my opinion, which could lead to fatalities if you accidently leave them on and someone comes from the front...... just my 2cw
Sent from my iPhone
ahgee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: BAYAN LEPAS
Vehicle: HILUX

Post by ahgee »

does it goes same for roof mount spotlight.?
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

South African Legislation..

1) The head lamps of a motor vehicle shall be fitted –
a) at a height of not less than 450 millimetres and not more than one comma four metres above ground level, measured to the centre of the lamp; and
b) not more than 500 millimetres behind the front-end of the vehicle.

2) The head lamps and fog lamps of a motor vehicle shall, unless the design of the lamps incorporates some other means of preventing a dangerous glare to oncoming traffic, not be fitted with lenses of clear glass or other like material.

3) When two or more of the same lamps are fitted to a vehicle they shall –
a) be placed symmetrically in relation to the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle; and
b) except in the case of side marker lamps and direction-indicator lamps, be so placed that any lamp on the side of the vehicle concerned shall have a corresponding lamp at the same height on the other side of such vehicle.

4) Every lamp required to be fitted to a vehicle shall be securely fixed.

5) The lens and reflector of every lamp required to be fitted to or used in connection with any vehicle shall be maintained in an effective and reasonably clean condition.

6) No lamp required to be fitted to or displayed in connection with a vehicle shall be totally or partially obscured by any fitting or object on the vehicle.

7) The provisions of subregulation (1) shall not apply to main beam lamps that comply with the requirements of standard specification SABS 1046 "Motor vehicle safety specification for lights and light signaling devices installed on motor vehicle and trailers", and standard specification SABS 1376 "Lights for motor vehicles", Part 2:Head lights" and which is homologated as such by the Inspectorate of Manufacturers, Importers and Builders.
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ja ons kry boetes vir die LED bar ligte, meeste van my vriende het ook gekry en daarom het ek besluit om maar by my Hellas te bly. Spotlights bo op die rollbar is ook 'n groot nee-nee, daar voor het ek ook boete betaal
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

die LED's word nie omskryf of beskryf of is nie gemagtig in die regulasies nie, hier is die reuglasie wat die LED's verbied en hierdie regulasies moet gewysig word om voorsiening vir dit te maak. Lamps not prescribed or authorised are prohibited

203. No lamp, other than a lamp prescribed or authorised in terms of these regulations, may at any time be fitted to any vehicle operated on a public road
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Is dié dan ook onwettig omdat dit LED's is?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1399402228378.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399402228378.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Last edited by louis fourie on Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

LED LIGHTS USED ON VEHICLES – LEGAL, OR ILLEGAL??

Dave Viljoen 'n voertuig moet van twee hooflampe voorsien wees wat 'n domplig en rylig uitstraal, dan gaan die regulasie voort en se dat 'n voertuig mag 4 hooflampe he waarvan die vier ryligte moet uitstraal en as dit gedomp word moet die twee binneste ligte uitgedoof word en die buitenste ligte moet dompligte uitstraal en dan praat die regulasie verder en se dat daar twee mislampe aangebring mag word wat of geel of 'n wit lig uitstraal en dit moet 'n domplig uitstraal en mag net gedurende ongure weer gebruik word. Hierdie lampe moet aan die sterkte voldoen wat voorgeskryf word en aangebring word soos ek reeds verduidelik het volgens die hoogte, diepte. Wanneer daar na die LED ligte se sterkte kyk is dit te skerp en sterk, en soos reeds gese word dit nie volgens die SANS kode omskryf nie. Wanneer daar na die sterkte van 'n gloeilamp gekyk word sal dit opgemerk word dat agter op die plaatjie van die lamp staan die sterkte 55/75 en dit is wat goedgekeur is. Daar is lampe beskikbaar wat 'n sterkte van tot 200/225 aandui, maar dit is te sterk. Ek verstaan die beamptes is besig om streng op te tree en skort die voertuie se gebruik op as die lampe nie voldoen nie, wees asb versigtig
203. No lamp, other than a lamp prescribed or authorised in terms of these regulations, may at any time be fitted to any vehicle operated on a public road.
Hierdie regulasie maak dit onwettig

A vehicle must be fitted with two main lamps that must be able to radiate a dimmed-light and main-light. The regulation further stipulates that a vehicle MAY be fitted with 4 head lamps radiating four driving lights, and the two inner lights, when dimmed, must automatically extinguish and the two outer lights must the emit dimmed-lights.
The regulation further states that two fog lamps may be fitted and may radiate only a yellow or white light, but must radiate only a dimmed-light and further must only be used and emit light during inclement weather.
These lamps must comply with the strength that is prescribed, and fitted as I have already explained, according to the height and depth.
Looking at the LED light’s intensity, it is too sharp and strong, and is not included in the definition of the SANS codes.
To determine the strength of a light bulb, look at the back plate of the lamp … the intensity is indicated as 55/75 and this is approved. There are lights available of up to 200/225, but this is too strong. I understand the traffic-officers are busy with firm action and suspending the use of vehicles with lamps that do not comply, please be careful

203 . No. lamp, other than a lamp prescribed or authorized in terms of these regulations, at Any Time May be Fitted to Any vehicle operated on a public road .

This regulation makes it illegal
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

louis fourie wrote:Is dié dan ook onwettig omdat dit LED's is?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Hier by ons, Ja. Maar die ouens wat die meeste boetes kry is die met die bars op. Hulle is nog bietjie dom om te besef die rondes is ook LEDs.
Jagmeester
Vehicle: 3.0 d4d 4x2

Post by Jagmeester »

All Led fitted lights will be treated as illegal in Namibia unlest it is Factory fitted and will be fined accordingly.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

ahgee wrote:does it goes same for roof mount spotlight.?
Roof mounted spots are stricly speaking, illegal in RSA. However, some provincial authorities or principalities may choose to turn a blind eye as long as they're connected with a completely independent switch - some will also ask that the lights have covers when the vehicle is operated on any public road.

Better to leave them off and be safe - furthermore, they might look 'cool' but they serve no real purpose other than for night game viewing and how often do you do that. They also get snagged in the bush and sometimes don't fit under a standard garage door height.

I'd rather fit some decent driving lights up front than on the roof. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
luxman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: SFA 2.4
Club VHF Licence: HC194

Post by luxman »

Jagmeester wrote:All Led fitted lights will be treated as illegal in Namibia unlest it is Factory fitted and will be fined accordingly.
Jagmeester, kan jy of enige iemand dalk laat weet of die regulasies intussen al verander het ivm die LED ligte, is hulle al wettig of nognie? Ons is immers amper 2 jaar later tussen die "posts" en ek beplan om Desember in julle geweste te kom rondry.
Luxman
ImageImage
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Daar was onlangs iets weer oor LEDs maar ek het ophou lees aan al die nonsense wat geskryf word.

Die LED bar is nog steeds onwettig en sal seker so bly dink ek. Die regulasie verwys na watts as max sterkte per gloeilamp maar LED met daai watts raak baie skerp. Die LED bar maak die voertuig onpadwaarding tov die regulasie omdat dit nie twee kol ligte is nie. Baie GRN voertuie ry met die LED bars rond en kom weg daarmee, maar toeriste is sagte teikens. Om daai ronde LED spotligts onpadwaardig te bewys in die hof kan seker ingewikkeld raak.

N LED is n gloeilamp net soos n enige ander gloeilamp. Ek praat onder korreksie maar ek dink hulle het dit nou so aanvaar.

Indien werklik nodig sit daai ronde LEDs op maar hou n cover oor dit.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Lots of articles are available on the matter.
I find this one to be the more comprehensive one:

http://www.mccarthy4x4.co.za/images/fil ... Letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Legislation governing the installation and use of Auxiliary lights on vehicles have not yet been amended to include LED lights of any kind. Thus, it is not legal to use on public roads, or even to be mounted on a vehicle using a public road. Not even when covered or disconnected. :shock2:

Regulating the importers and re-sellers of LED bars is not the answer. Nothing wrong with selling a farmer a LED bar to fit on a vehicle he will only be using on his farm... :thumbup:

The only answer is to amend current legislation to include LED lights will do the trick. Until that has been done, LED's will remain illegal, and you will be at the mercy of the traffic official who pulls you over on a dark night in some rural town. :surrender: :surrender:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
luxman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by luxman »

Baie dankie vir al die inligting. Ten minste weet ons waar ons staan met die Led bars.
Luxman
ImageImage
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ons sal die 31ste Augustus finaal weet in Nam
luxman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by luxman »

Dankie Trevor, sal jy ons op hoogte hou as jy gehoor het seblief.
Luxman
ImageImage
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

This is what I have done..
Got a 50mm low compression PVC off-cut (1m) for 10 bucks.
Cut the 1m length to size.
Cut away a 12mm strip..
..fits nicely over and it sits lekker tight.

The knights of the shady trees...they leave me alone now.
:thumbup:

I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

Post by Alex2539 »

I had an officer here in NAM threatening to remove my licence disc for having an LED bar on. They say it should be removed,
Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:

Return to “Open Discussion”