Knife Sharpners

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Knife Sharpners

Post by george »

I am busy eating some nice springbok biltong :cool: and my Kershaw does not feel so sharp anymore.
I know there is a couple of knife fundie's here. So I would like to know what do you guys use for sharpening your blades?

I used to use the Lanzky set and currently is using th CRKT set(the one with the pole).But I am not to impressed.It takes for ever and really struggle with the Kersaw knife. I think they use carbon steel or something that make the blade tuff to sharpen.

i have been looking on the net and one thing that I looked at was the Warthog V shaped.Have anyone used this before?

The other option is to used a good old fashioned sharpening stone. Obviously I will have to practice with some cheap blades.Maybe not a bad hobby to start with.

Anyhows,what do you guys use?

O Ja.
Vir ou Jaco daai in die sand :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
lekka.JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Knife Sharpners

Post by Mud Dog »

George, I don't use a stone ... they're too rough IMO and they tend to wear "bowed". I use some P500 water paper placed on a piece of glass .... hones it like a razor blade! (Wet sharpening of course) :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

George, I don't use a stone ... they're too rough IMO and they tend to wear "bowed". I use some 900 or 1000 grit water paper placed on a piece of glass .... hones it like a razor blade! (Wet sharpening of course)
Never thought of that.Will give it a go.Do you put the paper and glass in a vice or something or do you hold it down with one hand and then one hand on the knife.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

george wrote:
George, I don't use a stone ... they're too rough IMO and they tend to wear "bowed". I use some 900 or 1000 grit water paper placed on a piece of glass .... hones it like a razor blade! (Wet sharpening of course)
Never thought of that.Will give it a go.Do you put the paper and glass in a vice or something or do you hold it down with one hand and then one hand on the knife.
When the paper is wet it will cling to the glass
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

When the paper is wet it will cling to the glass
Correct! I sharpen my tungsten planer blades and wood chisels in the same way.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CHOMPFS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: BLOEMFONTEIN
Vehicle: HILUX DC 1996 MET N 7MGE ENGINE OME SUSSPENSION CANOPY VAN TYD TOT TYD

Post by CHOMPFS »

Sies George
Dus nie net Jaco wat sonder springbokke sit nie hier by ons het hulle maar baie sleg aangeteel die jaar , en die manne wat het om te skiet is belaglik duur . So ons eet maar Vrystaat donkie (blesbok) .
Cheers
Corrie
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Na my mening maak Blesbok beter biltong as Springbok. :winkx:

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

george wrote:Vir ou Jaco daai in die sand
Thanks George
george wrote:i have been looking on the net and one thing that I looked at was the Warthog V shaped.Have anyone used this before?
Bly maar weg van dit af, klomp drêk, n Pal van my het een gekoop en wat n teleurstelling, nou sê van die ouens, wat self nie een het nie ja maar jy moet hom reg stel en en en, TWAK dit is DRêk.
george wrote:I used to use the Lanzky set
Ek het ook n Lansky maar is glad nie over impressed met hom nie slyp die messe hol maar wat wel werk maar wat bietjie duur is is die Edge pro, werk soos n droom. Hier is n link.
http://www.edgeproinc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

it looks like the sand paper is working :thumbup:
It goes a lot quicker and the blade feels sharper.Will have to practice before it can shave hair.

Andy are you using circular motions or long strokes and at what angle do you keep the blade. :?:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

These are the ones that I use, but each has a different use:

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com//LCSTC.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.lanskysharpeners.com//LKDMD.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.lanskysharpeners.com//LSTCN.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is excellent (do not own one):

http://www.eze-lap.com/product/ezefold.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My brother who makes knives uses the Warthog V-Sharp and Warthog Diamond stone set.

Andy, your solution is very, very interesting. I'll try and test that on my Opinel.

Know what you don't know.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

My brother who makes knives uses the Warthog V-Sharp and Warthog Diamond stone set.

Andy, your solution is very, very interesting. I'll try and test that on my Opinel.
Ek het juis getoets op die Opinel.Ek weet nie of jy ook die probleem het nie, maar my opinel se lem is geneig om aan te slaan.Ek het nou sommer met die fyn skuur papier sy lem weer begin blink kry.

Wat se tiepe messe maak jou broer?
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

George, gaan loer so bietjie na die jagmes thread. Hy het messe wat reg oor die wereld gebruik word.
Op die oomblik is sy mesmaak so bietjie gestop. Hy het sy werk verloor so paar jaar gelede, en meeste van wat hy besit is weg saam sy ex-vrou wat weggeloop het (insluitende sy gereedskap) of die "inbraak" twee weke later wat hom gelos het met 1 onderbroek en dit wat hy by die skietbaan gehad het; buiten dit het hy niks besit nie.

Hy herbou nou weer alles, en hoop om weer teen die einde van hierdie jaar weer te begin messemaak.

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

george wrote:it looks like the sand paper is working :thumbup:
It goes a lot quicker and the blade feels sharper.Will have to practice before it can shave hair.

Andy are you using circular motions or long strokes and at what angle do you keep the blade. :?:
Circular motions George .... it sharpens quicker that way, but if I want to achieve just that little extra smooth sharpness I finish off with a few good strokes in a shallow diagonal movement (into the blade. Off the blade leaves tiny microscopic burrs). The angle that I hold the blade is roughly about 25 to 30° ... (for planer blades / chisels etc. I try keep as close to the original angles as I can). :winkx:

Note that you can also use oil with the water paper instead of water, but it doesn't cling to the glass so nicely and it's a bit messy.

LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Post by LoneRanger »

Sandpaper on glass that is wet - good idea then the hands won't slip holding the BEER glass :lol: - circular motion is only for the last bit :beach:

Go down to Awesome Tools in Durbanville - they are Auth dealers for leatherman and get yourself their sharpners. :thumbup:
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

just an update on the thread.
I got myself a small diamond stone.I now keep the knife still and then work the stone.This way I manged to keep a more consistent edge.When I get to the point where I can shave the hair I put the knife on a polishing pad connected to my drill with some rubbing compound.It works great for me. To be honest i struggled a bit with the sandpaper.I could not keep my edge constant.Now my favorite knife is sharp sharp :yahoo:
IMG_3386 (Small).JPG
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Traveler »

George, is daai 'n Eze Lap?

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Traveler wrote:George, is daai 'n Eze Lap?
Jip :thumbup:
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Here is what I do when my biltong knife or kitchen knife's needs a little sharpening.

- Take one good ceramic type coffee cup.
- Turn it upside down and place on flat table.
- Use the edge of the coffee cup the sharpen the blade.
- Keep the blade at a steady angle and sharpen away.
- Turn the cup every now and then to ensure even sharpening

Have been doing it this way for years and works like a charm.
There is no need to wet the bottom surface of the cup.

Not anything fancy, but it works!
My 2CW...!
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Kan mens "cerrated" lemme ook so skerpmaak?

Ek neem aan dit word aan die "verkeerde" kant geslyp?
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Hi

Ek het nog nie n cerrated mes so probeer skerp maak nie. Sal vanaand probeer en terugvoering gee.

Ek het daai trick geleer by n baie bekende chef hier by ons op Langebaan, Froggy is sy naam. Ek dink Piet Petoors
behoort te weet van wie ek praat.

Thx
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!

Return to “Open Discussion”