New to the forum - Timberman

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Timberman
Town: Hogsback Eastern Cape
Vehicle: Fortuner d4d 4x4

New to the forum - Timberman

Post by Timberman »

Hi there Guys my name is Peter Schenk and have been around 4x4 ing for years and have finally taken the plunge to join the forum and club.I have attended a couple of local outings with The Geer family and Muddog a fews years back.I will attempt to join any local outings when ever possible.Thanks for having me on the forum.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: New to the forum - Timberman

Post by Mars »

Welcome Peter.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard Peter! :thumbup: Nice to have you join up. :winkx:

P.S. Four wheels are better than 2 for the older guys. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Welcome, Peter.

If you guys can advise please, what are the advantages and/or benifits of joining the club?
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

As a club member you get the benefit of discount deals that the club is able to negotiate from time to time with suppliers of spares, camping & outdoor goods and 4x4 equipment. You also get the benefit of reduced costs on outings where the club has got a deal or provided sponsorship for members. Arguably the biggest benefit is that if you make use of VHF 2way radios, you don't need to licence them through ORRA (Off Road Radio Assoc) but can register your radio/s with the club and benefit from the club's blanket VHF radio licence without any cost to you (you get all the ORRA frequencies plus two additional ones that are club specific).

Last time I checked (admittedly some time ago) ORRA was charging R180 for the first radio and then R 60 per additional one thereafter. The club fees are only R160 per annum so there is already a massive saving. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Hi Mud Dog
Please excuse my ignorance!
When you say “outings where the club has got a deal or provided sponsorship for members”
Is it that where all club members go out on a convoy?
What is the use of the VHF 2 way radios?
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Welcome Peter!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

@ Ricky .... you are not ignorant. A person who asks questions is better informed at the end of the day. Please never refrain from asking because you think it's mundane or that you think you are expected to know. We are all here to help and learn from each other, no matter the level of our experience.

When an outing is arranged some guys will meet at a point along the way and then travel in a group otherwise they just make their own way and meet at the venue.

The VHF 2 way radios put you into communication with all other persons / vehicles that have radios on the same frequency in your immediate area which might be a radius of anything between zero and 10km radius depending on your installation, aerial type and surrounding terrain and even weather conditions .... line of sight will give the best IRO terrain conditions.

Communications can be really beneficial in so many different scenarios / situations .... leading vehicle can warn the convoy of dangers ahead, hazards like sharp edged rocks to avoid, which line to take, a 'spotter' can help guide you through a obstacle more easily than with hand signals and although the protocol on a trail is that each vehicle ensures that the following vehicle remains in sight (so as not to allow the group to split), densely bushy terrain often makes this almost impossible. Then radios are most helpful.

To give you an example, a couple years ago on a steep trail down a mountain side I was taking up the rear (as I often do to ensure there are no stragglers left behind) when I had a complete brake failure. The pedal just flopped all the way to the floor and I thought I had torn a brake line. The area was very scenic and guys would often just pull up and stop to take pics so I was able to warn the convoy ahead of my problem and that they must not stop. Even in 4L 1st gear the vehicle was wanting to run away from me because of the steep gradient and I just had the handbrake to hold me back. Had anyone stopped for any reason there could have been a disaster. Thankfully everyone was in radio communication. Additionally, the guy directly ahead offered his vehicle as a buffer in case I needed it (thanks again Tony).

The benefits are endless .... I will never go without radio comms if I can help it and always take a spare just in case someone doesn't have.

Hope that answers your questions :winkx:

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Thanks alot, it certainly does. I will be joining the club now that I have a better understanding. I don't have exessories as yet though, winch, recovery equipment, recovery points, ect. My vehicle is OME just like the day it stepped out the factory. I have a factory 100 litre fuel tank, factory bull bars, roll bar and tow bar. The only add on are the canopy, the spot and bar lights. Thanks.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Apologies Peter for hijacking your introduction. I try not to open new threads unnecessarily and since you spoke of joining the club I questioned a few things on it.
Welcome again Peter, back to you now.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and welcome Peter

Return to “Meet the People”