22r 4x4 gear shifting problem

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Team Dakar
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota 22r 4x4

22r 4x4 gear shifting problem

Post by Team Dakar »

Hi mates. Great meeting you. I've been reading all your comments and suggestions. Thank you for all the information. I have a problem with my gear shifting. I recently replace a clutch kit aftet my truck started making scratching noise everytime I step on the clutch. After doing a complete clutch overall, I started having other issue. Sometimes when I had stopped at a traffic lights after driving on a highway , my truck take any gears. The clutch would be there but no gears until I switch off and start it on gear than it will drive and eventually take gears again. Now every morning I will start the truck but won't get any gears until I start it on gear, drive it outside my gate and all of a sudden, BOOOM the gears are changing. I've done both slave and master cylinders but no change. Hope you guys can help. I checked for fluid leaks but nothing. The clutch is always there.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 22r 4x4 gear shifting problem

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Wandile!

Did you replace the spigot bearing at the same time that you did the clutch? Could be that it's dragging and the syncro rings in the box may be a bit too worn to cope.

Another possibility is the gearbox oil ... did you replace it by any chance?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Farmerbrown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Mooi River KZN
Vehicle: 96 SFA D/C 4x4 2.4

Re: 22r 4x4 gear shifting problem

Post by Farmerbrown »

Hi Wandile . I have the exact same problem with my 22R . I am taking it for a few repairs this or next wek Will let you know if I find anything , I am starting with the master slave cylinder .
2.4 1996 SFA D/C
2.5 2015 hardbody 4x4 S/C
2013 Everest 4x2
2.5 2012 AWD Kuga(SOLD)
yz250 2 stroke
tw 200 farm bike

Return to “Meet the People”