5L engine needing replacing

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Pith Helmet
Town: Xai-Xai
Vehicle: Hilux

5L engine needing replacing

Post by Pith Helmet »

Greetings to the group.
Thanks to the admins for the vote of approval.

To introduce ourselves...the wife n I live in Moz and love it. 21 years in "paradise". We serve with an organisation called Pro-Vision, mentoring leaders who serve their communities. We work in very rural areas and love it.

We recently took over an old 1996 Hilux 3 liter D-E to facilitate our work. It did not take me long to discover that the DE stands for Donkey Edition. However we like the old girl as she has a great ride, handles the terrain easily and has a few new add-ons.
BUT we are also stranded in Nelspruit with this "gutless"5L engine that has a serious Piston slap and probably has had it for a while. No power and a huge blow by/back. Sooooo we are looking at replacing the engine. Cost is always a factor in our line of work so the Lexus dream is not going to happen.

From what I read on line and from gleanings from this Forum it seams that the 2L and the 3L engines will bolt right in and be the easiest solution. A Turbo would be a nice. So my request to the members .... can anyone direct me to where I can purchase a reliable (guaranteed) engine and which of the two would be preferable.

Many thanks in advance.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: 5L engine needing replacing

Post by The Legend »

The Mazda 2.5WL engine with turbo is also a very good choice and easy to install.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

The man is looking for a bolt in solution. Go to Izuco, just outside Nelspruit on the Barberton rd. If you dont come right there then ask them to pint you to the next place.
Image Link Broken
Pith Helmet

Post by Pith Helmet »

Thank you Dawie and Marius.
Advice is greatly appreciated. Yes the bolt in solution is definitely the extent of my mechanical abilities and workshop limitations. I will give Izuco a call.
M
Pith Helmet

Post by Pith Helmet »

Just wondering... can anyone suggest which bolt in engine would be the best the 2L or the 3L apparently both are compatible. Which will give the best fuel efficiency and power?
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Personally i hate the 3l engine and would prefer the 2l
Image Link Broken

Return to “Meet the People”