Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: MISGUND WESTERN CAPE
Vehicle: 1993 2.4d Hilux 4x4 SC

Hilux 2.4d 4x4 Rev counter buggering around

Post by DELILA »

1993 Hilux 2.4 diesel sometimes rev counter is workong and then not working. What can the problem be??
Last edited by DELILA on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TertiusK
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Oudtshoorn
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 2.4D 4x4 DC Full MIKEM Suspension front and back + 2007 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI 4WD

Re: Hilux 2.4d 4x4 Reccounter buggering around

Post by TertiusK »

I have a 1990 2.4D 4x4 and mine is not working at all.

Will be watching this page for advice from the guys with knowledge of this as well.
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Heating of diesel before filter

Post by DELILA »

Do you think I will get any improvement in performance and economy by installing a inline heater to heat the diesel before entering filter and injection system
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Hilux 2.4d 4x4 Rev counter buggering around

Post by niclemaitre »

Mine does the same, generally works when the engine is cold and the stops after a bit. I'm inclined to think that it is the sender on the diesel pump rather than a loose connection. Problem is it is a signal that it sends rather than a varying voltage or current, so you need an oscilloscope to check it properly and I don't have one of those
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

The rev counter in my Hilux also has a problem and is sometimes dead and will only come to life after about 20 km on a cold morning. I run a lexus motor with a conversion chip to make the old rev counter work. That chip works perfectly so I suspect the instrument has a problem. It happens very sporadic so not too worried. I did notice that when it starts to work then it will start working around left hand bends and die around right hand bends. This happens for a minute or two while driving and then suddenly works 100%. My wiring is 100% , I checked twice so the gauge it must be :twisted:
Image Link Broken
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DELILA »

Hi Guys
I changed the voltage regulator on a 1993 2.4d Hilux. After the change my rev counter is correct on idle 700 rpm when i rev it a little bit on the ear about 3000 rpm the counter runs to 6500 rpm and if i switch on flickers rev counter goes up and down. What do you think, poor earth or bad connection in regulator plug. Please help.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a poor earth. At low revs 700rpm is too low and probably not accurate. It could be piggy-backing on the earth of the flicker lights. However the problem only started when you replaced the regulator so I would go back and check all the connections there first, also that you haven't crossed or bridged anything in error.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DELILA
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DELILA »

Thanks for the reply Andy. I did check and cleaned the earth connections that i could find last night after work. Was a bit dark but it seems to me that the cleaning helped. I did not went for a drive will do that on the weekend to see if everything is ok. Will come back with a post when i checked everything.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
I hope it worked.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

I had the same problem years ago on my 2,4. Turns out there was a loose wire/plug I think it was on the back of the alternator. If I remember correctly the rev counter somehow works with the alternator.. don't bite my head of if I'm wrong..this was about 20 years ago.
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

On petrol luxes the signal for the revcounter comes from the altenator , I think it must be a differant signal than diesel. That is why one have to do adjustment on the cluster when going from diesel to petrol engine.
On diesels there is a sending unit , close to where the injector pump bolts to the timing cover and right in between the pump and the engine block. On the injetor pump just above the flange mounting stud and nut.
I recently fitted a colt 2.8 injector pump to my 2L2T.
Because I knew there are issues with the rev counter when a Colt pump is put in a Hilux I took the senders of both out and saw that there are 1 mm differance in length between the two. I took 1 mm off the Hilux sender so it would penetrate 1 mm deeper or as deep as the Colt sender into the Colt pump.
The sender modification worked fine, but......
I some how got the wires the wrong way round. The revcounter only registered half the actual revs and the batery died within two or three hours of being switched off. ( Auto electrition one explained that getting the wires crossed would not be able to let that happen , and auto electrition no two send me straight onto that)
On reversing the wires the rev counter still did not work right , so I thaught that I have damaged the sender.
The revs would only show after rinning engine for a bit and erratic at first and then settle after mabe 15 to 20 minutes of driving , not idling.
Inspection of the sender plugg en wiring harness showed black terminals , cleaned them and bent them a bit for better connection. A1

PS does that hilux go with the Colt pump.

Return to “Meet the People”