Greetings from new Hilux Owner

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
npod
Town: Vancouver
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux KZTE

Greetings from new Hilux Owner

Post by npod »

Hello everyone - I have been enjoying the forum and found it very useful when deciding whether to break the habit of a lifetime and buy a Hilux and not a Land Rover! Hopefully, it will at least be more reliable than a Land Rover..that's not a very high hurdle to clear!

So I am buying a 2005 Hilux KZTE dual cab already fully, and well equipped for overlanding, which is my objective, full specs below. It has 200k on the clock but with all service records so hopefully no horrors in store but even if there are it seems as though there are plenty of suppliers and parts around to get things fixed.

I am from Canada but know Africa pretty well, I travelled extensively overland back in the 80s and have recently been working in the Congo, so not really expecting any huge culture shocks. My plans are to go from Cape Town pretty much directly to Joburg, since I already know the Cape area and then a more leisurely trip through Kruger to Mozambique up along the coast and cut across to Malawi and Zimbabwe before ending up in Joburg. I will then store the vehicle for 6 months before leaving fro Europe via Cairo in 2016.

On to practical matters:

1. I need some basic work done in Cape Town, timing belt, water pump and clutch (maybe) replaced, fluids and oils flushed and replaced, wheel bearings checked and general checkup by a Hilux expert, I see Allan at Hilux Parts in CT is the go to guy. I will probably get the injectors and pump overhauled in Joburg when it is laid up. Any other suggestions for things to do before the first trip, which is through relatively civilised areas.

2. Any recommendations for a tools and kit, it's all metric? Any useful tools that might not be standard?

Nice to meet you all and thanks for any advice now and in advance for more questions that I will doubtless have.

Neil

Toyota Double Cab
KZTE
3L Turbo Diesel 4X4
Old Man Emu Suspension with ARB Safari kit and high rise chassis
Specs:AluCab
Howling Moon 1.4 Roof Top Tent
Frontrunner roof rack
Frontrunner jerry cans and brackets
2 spare wheel tyre
Front runner Stainless Steel table
50L water tank
Frontrunner Stainless Steel long range tank
Safari Snorkel
Frontrunner champ chairs
ARB Bumper
ARB T Max winch (2.5 ton) – front
IPF Extreme spotlights
Outback Console
GME VHF Radio
Hi Lift Jack
Engel 40L fridge / freezer
Cadac 2 burner cooker
3 kg gas bottle
Bosch C7 battery charger
ARB Compressor
120 Ah alternators
Battery bank with 2 x new AC Delcor deep cycle marine (105Ah)
3 KVA (3000 watts) Invertor
1 x Solar Controller
Brakes modified for additional load bearing capacity
Mileage about 200,000km
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Greetings from new Hilux Owner

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum as a member! :thumbup:

Yes, Allan (AEW Auto) is the guy to go to in the Cape, but from the sound of it there won't be too much for him to do to the vehicle - 200,000 km is not a lot for that vehicle, especially if it's been well cared for as the service history might suggest.

A pretty impressive asenal of overlanding extras you have listed there - I see solar controller but not solar panels?? - you will need about 120w depending on how well the alternator keeps the secondary batteries charged (your planned itinerary might not allow for enough driving every day).

I also don't see any mention of a high-lift jack - a very useful piece of equipment, especially if travelling alone (vehicle must have high-lift jacking points). A spade is another useful must, as well as an axe or decent machete - sand tracks are also another useful item. You will just have to pay attention to how much extra weight it all adds up to when you include your supplies.

Yes, bolts are all metric and a basic tool roll of spanners from 8mm to 21mm should be all you need along with some screwdrivers, pliers and side-cutter. One can so easily go overboard with what you carry along ... again, weight and space are key when defining your needs.

It would be great if you can post some pics of the vehicle, I'm certain you will enjoy it and it's reliability over the LR. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Welcome to the enlightened side Neil
To God be the glory
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Welcome Neil
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Neil & enjoy your African travels...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
npod
Town: Vancouver
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux KZTE

Post by npod »

Thanks Mud Dog. I have attached a couple of pictures to this post.

Luckily it has a hi-lift, sand mats and a shovel, so I am pretty much hoping it's a turn key project....but life seldom works like that. Yes, it has a solar controller but no panel so I will try and track down a 120W panel as you suggest. I was reflecting on whether to switch the RTT to the front of the vehicle...does anyone have any ideas on that? I also don't like the 50L water tank on the roof rack, or the second spare tyre for that matter, would like to keep the centre of gravity lower, not that I want to get into a situation where it's that critical.

Any tips on registering a vehicle as a foreigner in SA, I know that I will need a TRN, RWC and then registration papers. I will be doing all this in Cape Town which I am hoping may be more foreigner friendly.

Neil
Attachments
Lux.jpg
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome Neil, :wave:

From another Neil :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Welcome Neil !! :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

ROOFER wrote:Welcome Neil !! :thumbup:
Which "Neil"? :tongue:

Best prices for Solar panels (and almost anything else that you need), is here ..... and they're right there in Cape Town. :winkx:

I'm open to correction, but AFAIK there is no problem registering with 'foreign' credentials. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Welcome Neil

Congrats on your purchase and hope you have safe travels with your KZ.
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Niel.
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Mud Dog wrote:
ROOFER wrote:Welcome Neil !! :thumbup:
Which "Neil"? :tongue:

Best prices for Solar panels (and almost anything else that you need), is here ..... and they're right there in Cape Town. :winkx:

I'm open to correction, but AFAIK there is no problem registering with 'foreign' credentials. :think:
Hi Mud dog only noticed this now ,that was for the new Neil ,not that the old Neil is old :naah: :mocking: :mocking:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hehe! It was just a feeble attempt at humour on my part. :winkx:

stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

Welcome Niel. Enjoy that Toy of yours.
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Meet the People”