newbie and SFA nut!

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: '88 2200 hilux D/C SFA, '14 6.2L Ford Raptor, Suzuki Jimmy (all the bells and whistles)

newbie and SFA nut!

Post by Keilux »

Good evening fellow Hiluxiars!I recently acquired an '88 2200 Hilux D/C from my brothers god parents who own a toyota dealership up north (she is a beauty), it took alot of persuading and haggling (being "family") and all but, i managed to get him too part with his favourite bakkie after a quarter of a decade, much too his sons disgust :yahoo: :boss:
After having spent alot of time on google i stumbled upon this forum, and have read every topic in the SFA section over the past few weeks :subscribed:
All i can say is what a bunch of top class ouens! from all the advice and knowledge that gets shared on here im suprised that the chaps at toyota havent printed this all off and created an "advanced users manual for fantics" from it! i have aleady recieved an enormous amount of help just by reading through the various topics.
Thank you all and keep it up! to the regular noise makers i feel like we are old mates already! :cooldude:
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: '88 2200 hilux D/C SFA, '14 6.2L Ford Raptor, Suzuki Jimmy (all the bells and whistles)

Re: newbie and SFA nut!

Post by Keilux »

image.jpg
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

I'm sure Andy will say hello pretty soon (Mud Dog). He's from your neck of the woods.
Welcome here!

And post some pics of that Raptor...
So we can see a real Raptor, instead of a Ranger with plastic Raptor bits stuck on.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Oh, by the way, that SFA looks like a beaut!
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Thanks Oupa Stig, still trying to get my head around this forum business and posting pics.. I'll see what I can do from my phone tho
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Luke!! :thumbup:

Yep, indeed a nice old SFA! Arguably the best 4x4 bakkie ever produced (not even Clarkson could kill one), and if it's not glaringly obvious, I'm partial to the old SFA's - so maybe we share that as well as home towns.

We have a small but loyal following in this area and have get-togethers every now and so often so please feel more than welcome to join us on the next one (we'll let you know when).

Enjoy this forum as a 'home from home'. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

The day I made a mistake
The day I made a mistake
Attachments
In it's natural environment
In it's natural environment
Having a bath
Having a bath
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Thanks Mud Dog! It will most definately be my home away from home as I'm currently based in the Middle East... I'm excited to hear there is a following down in the land of milk and honey! Haha I'm going to need loads of help with this beauty... To get her right...
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Enough of that raptor nonsense though... Another view of my new found love :yahoo:
Attachments
image.jpg
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Luke, May your passion bring you many fond memories...
Andy will let you know when we have the next outing when the weather down here warms up a bit...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

Hi Luke
I couldn't help but notice the camo wet suit..
Do you spear fish? :drinks:
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Welcome Luke, fortunately you saw the light....nice Hilux!!
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Awesome Haboob I'm definitely keen! Haha yes tarquin I do spear and anything else that has anything to do with the ocean as well! :cooldude:
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Luke, hope you enjoy it here on the forum. :thumbup: :thumbup:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Hi Luke
Welcome to the forum and the SFA family.

Good looking Hilux. :thumbup:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Thank you Roger and Tiaan!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit and very welcome Luke.Great to see another member from our neck of the woods.We are a small group of members from the local area but our outings and get togethers are not to be missed.Really a great bunch of okes with a common passion.It will be great for you to meet the guys and for us to get to know you.
Kaspaas
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1998 Land Cruiser 105series GX

Post by Kaspaas »

Welcome Luke!

Nice looking SFA!
Enjoy
1998 Toyota land Cruiser 105 series. 4.2 D

"I am human, I make mistakes, and that is okay, I have my own permission."
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Luke, are you back in SA? Just asking because the weather is warming up and we're planning something again. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Unfortunately not Andy, I'll be back in October for a few days tho....
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Let's have those dates then luke. Perhaps we can work around them - nothing is written in stone yet. :winkx:

Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

I'll have to confirm the dates, I'm heading to Botswana to tangle with tigers for a week or so and then back to east london, unfortunately won't be taking the hilux tho...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

A couple of us met last night to discuss this and the suggested dates would be the weekend of 25 / 26 /27 Sept.

Let us know when you're available anyway because there are other outings in the pipeline as well. :winkx:

Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Thanks for keeping me in the loop Andy! I'm only getting back from Botswana on the 27th... Buggerit! I will be in EL till the 5th after that and am planning on pulling out the front axel to do a Saddle correction before I get an OME setup... Got quotes for it and winches etc. do you think it's wise to pop the quote on here? I want to make sure they not going to sell me the wrong parts..
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You can post for comparative purposes, no problem. :winkx:

Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

1st quote
Attachments
Quote from a well known 4x4 supplier
Quote from a well known 4x4 supplier
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

From what I've read in other threads it seems as tho this chap is trying to sell me two passenger side leaf packs... And these saddle correction plates?!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

So, a problem with the SFA is that the spring perches on the front axle get bent downwards, giving the springs a W-shape. To correct this you can either fit "saddle correction plates" or remove the springs, beat the perches flat with a hammer, reinforce the perches by welding in flat bar and then fit the new springs.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2162&p=22017&hilit= ... rch#p22017

Here is the discussion thread on saddle correction:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7412&hilit=saddle+correction
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Ok mooi, I did read those threads... I didn't however know that there was just a "correction plate" that you can fit... Would these plates not just distort after the first corrugated road you hit? I'd imagine the best method would be to haul out the axle and beat it flat and weld in the flat bar to permanently prevent any repeat of the issue...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Keilux wrote:Ok mooi, I did read those threads... I didn't however know that there was just a "correction plate" that you can fit... Would these plates not just distort after the first corrugated road you hit? I'd imagine the best method would be to haul out the axle and beat it flat and weld in the flat bar to permanently prevent any repeat of the issue...
That's what I would do. :winkx:

Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

I think Andy just offered to help :dance1:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sheesh! Wishful thinking! :D:

If I had the spare time on my hands that I thought I would have after retiring, I would give you a hand - as it is, I don't seem to be getting around to my own projects.

It's an easy job, just time consuming, but if you really come unstuck and need help, let me know - will make a plan. :wnkx:

Keilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Keilux »

Hahaha no worries, Im definately going to go the route of correcting those perches properly, even if it is a case of oil sweat and tears! :thumbup:

Return to “Meet the People”