yowiie
Town: Glen Innes nsw
Vehicle: RA rodeo

Lexus getting hot

Post by yowiie »

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and seeking some answers
This was the only forum I could find that is relative to my problem
I purchased and RA rodeo today that has a Lexus conversion 4lt V8
Problem is I noticed that on my return trip home with the vehicle the temp gauge rose into the red
After 80klms, pulling over I couldn't here any strange noises, steam or loss of water, the car didn't appear to be getting hot all though the temp gauge read otherwise
I proceeded home which was another 80k
And it was then that the temp got at its highest, went totally into the red while idling
I came home and let the car cool down for a while and removed the rad cap, end result was a lot of hissing and steam,
Started the car again and filled with water while the car was running, water shot out of the radiator at a height of about a metres I turned the car of and filled the radiator again and let it idle, temp got to over halfway, took it for a drive temp got higher but not in the red
Any help would be appreciated
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Lexus getting hot

Post by Donkey »

Welcome to the forum. Was the cooling system properly bled prior, and all air bubbles removed?
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
yowiie
Town: Glen Innes nsw
Vehicle: RA rodeo

Post by yowiie »

Conversion was done 3 years ago, the guy I purchased it from never had any drama with it, so he said. I presume that all was OK
scunick
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: FJ45 & 2004 DC 3,0 KZTE

Post by scunick »

Bad news is that these motors don't like getting hot and regularly blow a gasket if they run hot. Good news is it's more economical to put another motor in than to repair an existing one.

Overheating can be a couple of things:
Check the intake manifold is firmly on and sealed- they run very hot if they lean out;
Check the thermostat for proper operation;
Do a water system pressure check to make sure it is all intact;
Replace water pump - we always replace these when we put a motor in as they are a pain to do with the motor in.
We have migrated to original hydraulic fan setups as they are much much more efficient than the electric or viscous fan - but this is probably not your issue as the car was traveling at speed when it happened.

The other more exotic causes of hot 1UZ-FE's is a motor that is massively out of level (front to rear) and fouled injectors that under deliver fuel.

Hope this helps... They are great motors if you understand their inherent limitations.

Cheers
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
larry007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Pajero Lexus

Post by larry007 »

scunick wrote:Bad news is that these motors don't like getting hot and regularly blow a gasket if they run hot. Good news is it's more economical to put another motor in than to repair an existing one.

Overheating can be a couple of things:
Check the intake manifold is firmly on and sealed- they run very hot if they lean out;
Check the thermostat for proper operation;
Do a water system pressure check to make sure it is all intact;
Replace water pump - we always replace these when we put a motor in as they are a pain to do with the motor in.
We have migrated to original hydraulic fan setups as they are much much more efficient than the electric or viscous fan - but this is probably not your issue as the car was traveling at speed when it happened.

The other more exotic causes of hot 1UZ-FE's is a motor that is massively out of level (front to rear) and fouled injectors that under deliver fuel.

Hope this helps... They are great motors if you understand their inherent limitations.

Cheers
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Some valuable information posted here!! I kept my EGT gauge from my TDi in tact and had it tapped for the Lexus conversion. What would you guestimate to be normal EGT's for cruising at 100km/h without load? The 2.8TDi did about 350-450'C, and when pushing uphill with load, to about 600-680'C. My perception is that the lexus is running approx 100'C hotter. :shock2:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I understood the is a whole science to fill a Lexus V8 with coolant?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1990 DC V8

Post by DANIELK »

Since I had the Spitronics on my truck I can now see what my coolant is doing, I installed a android pad with RealDash My Lexus Hilux 83-93c in SA temps.
This was the reading when I got back from work after driving in traffic, parked idling at the house
This was the reading when I got back from work after driving in traffic, parked idling at the house
Regards
Karl

Trucks
1990 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V8 1UZ-FE (Current)
1998 Ford Courier SC 4x4 3.4 V6
2001 Ford Ranger DC 4x4 2.5 TD
1996 Ford Courier DC 4x4 3.4 V6

Return to “Meet the People”