Another Successful 4x4 Drivers Course

Proper 4x4 training is important for all 4x4 owners.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Another Successful 4x4 Drivers Course

Post by ThysdJ »

African Offroad Academy (Western Cape) presented another successful training course this past weekend at Klein Tafelberg in the Sandveld near Redelinghuis. This was a corporate training event and the attendents are all employees of the Nature Conservation Corporation (NCC). Last weekend Anton and Dirk were up in Mabalingwe to train the Gauteng ouens of NCC there. Attending that training course was our own Jonno (Toybox) of mean green Legendary Lexus fame. Also a successful course if I understand Anton and Dirk correctly. Judging by the photographs and video-clips you guys had a proper jol up there Jonno. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, Back to the WC training.

Kaspaas was packed and ready on Wednesday already, and at the stroke of noon on Friday we left CT all along the N7 towards Piketberg. After a fuel stop at Swartland 1-stop we drove fairly slowly (100km/h) compared to last Saturday when Coenie and I were doing low flying to get to Citrusdal.

Once we hit Piketberg we stopped for a quick wildspastei (driving slowly makes me hungy, and you) and there I saw, to my horror, that the fuel cap was missing. Bummer, because after searching high and low through all the shop in Piketberg no replacement of any description could be found. I ended up buying an Isuzu fuel cap and duct taped it over the hole, just so that no gunk gets into the tank. Luckily my AOA colleague Paul Weskus, who was also attending the training, could organise an emergency replacement from Velddrif.

After setting up camp and a field kitchen class started at about 18:00 and went through to about 21:00. In this time we covered all the environmental topics and some of the more technical modules. Dinner was served and after a few liquid refreshments and some marshmallows in the fire everybody turned in ready for an early start on Saturday morning.

Saturday morning kicked off with coffee and rusks at 07:00 and class continued at 7:30 until about 11:00 when brunch was served. After brunch we tackled some high speed braking demonstrations and then the guys and girls got to show the stuff on the trail. It was a lot of fun with learners having a go in Kaspaas and RooiKoos (Paul Weskus's very neat red Hilux LTD) up the challenging sand tracks and some scary rocky ascents and descents. It is VERY scary sitting in the passenger seat of Kaspaas with somebody else at the wheel and I experienced some "life flashing before my eyes" moments. We concluded the practical driving with a recovery demo with Anton digging his Hilux in deep and Kaspaas doing a perfect kinetic recovery demonstraing the proper use of recovery points, bridals, lanyards, kinetic strap and shackles.

That evening everybody was chattering away about their experiences of the day and wathcing a slide show of their performances. Sunday morning I had tro break up camp early as we had a lunchtime appointment in Durbanville to attend at 12:00, so Anton and Paul completed the last formalities like the formal exam and a few practical assignments with the learners.

Kaspaas was flying home again, and at 11:00 we arrived in Durbanville with plenty time for a quick cup of coffee before our appointment for lunch. The training weekend was a roaring success and I think everybody who attended had a great deal of fun and learned a lot. :thumbup:

Here are a few pictures. I know Paul and Anton took more, so asseblief Paultjie, laai joune ook hier op, toe? :wave: :wave:
Paul doing some tyre deflation
Paul doing some tyre deflation
Kaspaas taking a rest
Kaspaas taking a rest
The scenery
The scenery
Snacks on the mountain
Snacks on the mountain
Some more snacks
Some more snacks
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Vehicle: Toyota

Re: Another Successful 4x4 Drivers Course

Post by Gysie »

Thys,

lyk my julle het net die landy se tyres af geblaas en toe geeet en geeet nou waar is die fotos van wat die mense leer daar! :lol:
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Good work! I look forward to hearing from the guys down there. I'm sure they had a jol. :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx for the feedback Thys, good to see you guys are actively training :thumbup:
Paul Weskus
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Dwarskersbos
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Paul Weskus »

Hi
Ek was maar eintlik min agter die kamera gewees :alvarin: , maar het darm n paar fotos geneem saam met kaspaas!!! :dance1:
Attachments
PA095837 (Small).JPG
kaspaas en sy jonger boetie!!
kaspaas en sy jonger boetie!!
PA095836 (Small).JPG
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Baie geluk en baie nice fodies...
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dankie Paul.. daai Rooikoos bakkie lyk baie mooi... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Kelvin Sparks
Town: Pietermaritzburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Kelvin Sparks »

Hi, Do you know where i can atend a training course her in KZN? I am in Pietermaritzburg.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Kelvin I sent you a PM. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Return to “Off-road Training”