Prado S95 VX Bumper question

Discussion form for the Toyota Prado
MusicMan
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado VX 95 series 3.4l V6

Prado S95 VX Bumper question

Post by MusicMan »

Re my "new" Prado S95 VX: here is my biggest question:

The Prado's plastic front bumper looks fine, and is firmly in place and looks well-aligned with the rest of the bodywork.
However, "inside" the plastic bumper, along the top part, is a metal "bar" (more like a U-shaped piece of steel) that is bolted to the car on the right and left sides. This piece of metal runs "inside" the red rectangle in Pic1.
On the left side (passenger side) the "bar" is still attached to the car. (Pic 2).
However, on the right (driver's) side, the "bracket" that holds it to the body is broken, and the metal "bar" can be moved up and down, and just rests on the lip inside the plastic bumper. (Pic 3).

This worries me a little: what is this "bar" - just a stronger metal bumper inside the plastic bumper?
How do I fix this - remove the plastic bumper, then this metal bar, and have the bracket welded?
But, most importantly - how in the world could this have broken off on the one side, without the outer plastic bumper smashed to pieces?

Any ideas, please?

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Prado S95 VX Bumper question

Post by Mud Dog »

I think that it's more like a structural support for the front of the body as well as added protection for the radiator in the event of a bump. It certainly should not be loose and the reasons for the bracket being broken could be varied.

I would as you suggest, remove the plastic bumper and have the broken piece repaired. You might also at the same time get a better idea as to why it is broken. Hopefully it's not accident damage (front grille and bumper could have been replaced in such an event).

Let us know what you find.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Can't help you here Johan, PraDog was attired like such when he & I became best buddies.
P1020075_1.jpg

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Johan

Mine was also broken off at the one end.IIRC it was corrosion and what I could see it was only spot welded.I removed mine. Because I was going to fit a steel replacement bull bar.
This was a couple of years ago,but I still remember when I looked at it , I could not really see that it really protected anything
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Thanks guys, I was at JB this morning, and he says it is a "bumper stiffener". Could have gotten broken in a fender bender, but he saw nothing of concern behind it. I will get it welded up and refit it behind the bumper.

In other news: I got sent away from RW test for a red triangle and a new rear wiper blade. All is done now, and she even had a little pre-RWC service from JB! More good news is that she does not need new brake pads yet - the wear indicator clip had been bent out of position, and triggered the worn pad warning. Bent back, they are still good for a while.

I like her more every day...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Was thinking on the lines of a "bumper Support" as well.
You ill be amazed at what vibration can break, especially if only spot welded...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Haboob wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 am Was thinking on the lines of a "bumper Support" as well.
You ill be amazed at what vibration can break, especially if only spot welded...
Yes, JB said it was only spot welded. I see it is Toyota part 52021-60010.

Return to “Toyota Prado 4x4 Forum”