"Eco Friendly" Fire Lighters

A pozie for recipes, drinks, braai tricks, boererate & all that delicious things...
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

"Eco Friendly" Fire Lighters

Post by pietpetoors »

I have been using these fire lighters for many years but recently added a "eco friendly" end to it.

Whenever I use pressed wood to build something I keep the off cuts and cut it in little blocks or when the strip is thin enough I sommer break it into blocks.

I used to put these blocks in a can filled with paraffin and then use it as firelighters.

Funny enough, if water comes close to pressed wood it will swell up. But if you put it in a oil based liquid like paraffin or turps it does not swell at all.

When painting I never know what to do with the thinners and turps after you washed the brushes. SO I just started to put it in an empty thinners can. But now I use the pressed wood blocks and fill the can with this second hand thinners and turps to be used as firelighters.

This way I do not have to spill the used turps and thinners and I have a use for all the cut-off pieces of pressed wood.

If you do not use pressed wood every now and then, just go to somebody who is building kitchen cupboards, they normally have stacks of cut off pieces which they do not know what to do with.

This soaked pressed wood fire lighter burns longer than the normal white fire lighters.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: "Eco Friendly" Fire Lighters

Post by CasKru »

I am in-pressed-wood this idea :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

EEeish this People it 2 cleva :clap: :!: :clap:
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Another idee ............. after making TEA, take the old used teabags, dry them out and then place them in a can / bottle with either diesel or parafien.
Use one or two everytime when making a fire instead of firelighters :thumbup:
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

My late farer told me to use dried out tea-bags. At both my and swambo's workplace used teabags are not thrown away, but left to dry, and then chucked into a large bottel of parafien/thinners/whatever is flamable & available.

Takes about 6-8 teabags to light a lekka fire....
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
0000DS
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

warthog wrote:My late farer told me to use dried out tea-bags. At both my and swambo's workplace used teabags are not thrown away, but left to dry, and then chucked into a large bottel of parafien/thinners/whatever is flamable & available.

Takes about 6-8 teabags to light a lekka fire....
Snap :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

But is it not dangerous to braai with them wood?
last time we went to witsands, We ran short of coals for the Sat night braai, shop closed, so we headed to the beach where alot of driftwood from the rivers washed ashore. We collected wood, but inbetween there was alot of processed wood like square and round battons etc.
Buddy told me not to use that, as when burnt, gives off poison from checmicals added to wood during manufacture? So we only used the tree branches washed ashore. Saved our bacon that night though, else it was raw chicken and meat for the crew
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

0000DS wrote:Another idee ............. after making TEA, take the old used teabags, dry them out and then place them in a can / bottle with either diesel or parafien.
Use one or two everytime when making a fire instead of firelighters :thumbup:
Will this work with coffee as well? :twisted: :twisted: :shh: :shh:
To God be the glory
0000DS

Post by 0000DS »

CasKru wrote: Will this work with coffee as well? :twisted: :twisted: :shh: :shh:
Cassie, haven't tried the coffee bags yet :think: since we have coffee bags, will have some now and try :thumbup: :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

dalkill wrote:But is it not dangerous to braai with them wood? Buddy told me not to use that, as when burnt, gives off poison from checmicals added to wood during manufacture?
Not with pressed board, and besides, by the time you get to braaing there is nothing left of the pressed board blocks to give off poisonous gas. The dangerous stuff is the treated wood used for roof trusses etc that gets soaked in chemicals to prevent bugs from boring into them. :oops: :oops:

I have also been using this pressed board blocks and paraffin fire starters for years now and I am still here... I would just be careful with thinners though, it is very volatile so make sure the can is closed and put away before lighting the fire. :shock: :shock: I have singed my eyebrows more than a few times like that.. :crazy: :crazy: Mixed with enough turpentine it should be okay though.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

0000DS wrote:
CasKru wrote: Will this work with coffee as well? :twisted: :twisted: :shh: :shh:
Cassie, haven't tried the coffee bags yet :think: since we have coffee bags, will have some now and try :thumbup: :thumbup:
Was actually referring to percolator coffee.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Just ignore me... I'm not making any sense... nor am I
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

The nice thing about the wooden block is that I need only one to light the fire. (always use wood to braai, no donkie stools)

About the toxins, I agree with Kaspaas by the time the it is time to braai there won't be any left. I've been using this for 8 years now and I am still fat, healthy and fit.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

I use Charcoal that soaks in a tin of paraffin till I need it, when you take it out to use, just replace it with a new one. It burns as good as blitz, if not better. I don't think briquettes will work, it will disolve :wth:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

pietpetoors wrote:The nice thing about the wooden block is that I need only one to light the fire. (always use wood to braai, no donkie stools)

About the toxins, I agree with Kaspaas by the time the it is time to braai there won't be any left. I've been using this for 8 years now and I am still fat, healthy and fit.
Maar jy sien... dan moet jy die topic heading verander want dan is dit nie Eco Friendly nie :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory

Return to “Braai and recipes”