DIY Biltong Maker!!!

A pozie for recipes, drinks, braai tricks, boererate & all that delicious things...
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

DIY Biltong Maker!!!

Post by Numbnut »

HI Guys

My dad and I built our own DIY biltong maker today, about 95% finished. I must say, it came out
good taking into account it is our 1st one ever! I got about 10 12v power supply fans from my
brother-in-law, enough spare fans seeing we only need about 4 of them! :thumbup:

Just one qeustion, should the fans blow into the box or suck air out of the box?? :think:
Currently this is a big debate between us! :roll:

If you guys want I'l post peekchas and dimensions?? The biltong maker is as big as about 3
filing cabinets next to each other. We even mounted it to the wall to prevent it from falling
over! I'm not quite sure, but I geuss we will be able to do about 25kg - 40kg at a time. Will see
when we do the first batch! Total costs so far for material = R600!

Cheers
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Re: DIY Biltong Maker!!!

Post by Gertc »

Must blow over the meat. but you must make sure that the air that is being sucked in by the fan is sucked through something that can block insects. (FLY`s)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I no longer bother with something like this, the vinegar and spices keep the flies away ... (I have never seen a fly on the meat yet). I now just hang the stuff in the garage with a fan going for air circulation and I have biltong in 4 days.

A number of years ago, I built a drier that also worked very well. Used 3 x 12v fans and found that it's better to draw the air out, not blow it in. The reason is that you can place your fans on top and intake vents on the sides with fly screen on the inside. On the outside you fit a flap that swivels on a screw so that you can block off any vents you like so as to control exactly where you want the air-flow. If you adjust that screw so that the flap moves stiffly, you don't need a catch and you can also open the vent ½ way or ¼ way as you like.

I got rid of my unit some time back because it just took up too much space and wasn't being used anymore. The only thing I miss it for is making dried wors, but I will build another one on the same principle that is much smaller and collapsible for easy storage.

So, mount you fans to draw air out ... it's a far better option ... one other thing that I had considered but never got around to doing, was fitting individual, removable screens on the inside of each vent hole and fitting muslin cloth instead of fly screen mesh. The muslin cloth will allow decent airflow but also trap dust which fly mesh doesn't, and then being removable, can be washed.

Good luck! :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gollum
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Ford Bantam

Post by Gollum »

one blow and one suck... keeps the air circulating and cuts drying time
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

My cabinets the fans draw air in on the left and out on the right. 4 days for droewors and 7-8 days for biltong.

Return to “Braai and recipes”