4runner info

Modification to your Toyota Surf or 4Runner
Neg006
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

4runner info

Post by Neg006 »

Hi guys,
I’m totally new here and I am looking at getting a 1994 4runner with 160k on the clock. The 3VZ motor. (3ltr V6) I test drove her yesterday and she felt sluggish and didn’t like hills to much. She left like my current 1989 FJ62 land cruiser with 3F motor. I expected allot more from the V6 and much lighter body??? I have a few questions-
1. What problems do these 4runners tend to have/get on the motor? I’ve been reading and blown head gaskets and valves comes up allot? How true is this?
2. What fuel consumption can I expect; I do not drive fast at all- between 90-110km/ph.
3. How capable off road are these 4runners?
4. And if I decide/had to swap motors, what would be the best choice? Other than the 1UZ Lexus motor. I would like the KZ-TE motor in there? Where could I source one and what cost would I be looking at? Assuming I also fit the G-Box and T-case from the KZ-TE.
Also, any other info you could volunteer would be much appreciated as I really do not want to burn my fingers here.

Kindest regards.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 4runner info

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Neal and welcome! :thumbup:
I've also heard a bit about the 3lit giving problems and that the 3.4lit (Prado) was a better motor. The vehicles are very capable, but as for the engine conversions, one of the KZ guys can tell you more. Not a diesel fan myself. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

A while back I copied a post to this forum from an American Forum where the owner (Mark) had problems with a V6, not sure whether it is the same engine though. I tried to find it again but no luck. In the post, he gave an interesting breakdown of what actually happened to his engine.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I remember the article .... something about the guy had oil circulation problems and siezed the motor, but it had just been overhauled a short time before ..... can't remember which V6 it was though.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Neg006
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Land Cruiser

Post by Neg006 »

See, this kind of info is what i need. so it is true that there are issues with this motor?? hmmm... i have been reading around and i do like the idea of the 1KD-FTV motor. the current 3ltr D4D motor. (127kw and 380Nm) i have recently done a trip in a hilux KZ-TE 4x4 (96kw and 280Nm) was very very impressed. so the D4D can only be more impressive.
where would i be able to source this kind of motor? the other option is the 4lt V6 from the Fortuner.

what would i need for this conversion? will the 4runners Gearbox and clutch handle the power from these engines? (my plan is to source a Engine and gearbox so i dont have to mess around with bell housings and such.) but in the event i cant find this is the $$ is to much, i just want a easy conversion. would i need the the computer box's etc....

thanks guys, much appreciated.

Return to “Surf & 4Runner”