Emergency 12V Solar Panel

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Emergency 12V Solar Panel

Post by Tim86 »

Hi Chaps

I am looking for a 12V solar panel for use mostly in emergencies.
This entails recharging of my single standard Hilux battery when the alternator packs up or the tunes are played for too long whilst camped at the bottom of a hill.
If the panel could provide enough current to keep only the ignition system running whilst driving this would be great (in the unlikely event of both the alternator and battery giving up).
Budget is around R500.00
It must be compact to stash behind the back seat (foldable?).
Simple - no fancy inverters etc. just two connector wires with alligator clips.
Good quality, reliable brand.

I have no experience with solar panels so if you guys could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Emergency 12V Solar Panel

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Tim. Sadly that budget just ain't gonna cut it. Typically the foldable panels are more pricey than the rigid ones and you'd also need a controller unit ..... depending on the light intensity, the voltage from the panel differs from 0V to somewhere around 22 / 23V on the smaller panels. So you can't just connect it directly .... the controller will smooth it out to around 14V and also cut off when the charge voltage gets too low.

Speak to Pieter ... maybe an 80W panel and a basic Phocos controller.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Have a look here what I did to leave my panel permanently and safely secured.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24935&p=291003

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

One of my main aims (and biggest power draw) is to get one that can run the ignition system (coil and dash) whilst driving. This would need to supply about 3 amps (thumb suck) for a simple vehicle like the 22R SFA. So even one of the 4x4Direct 50W panels would cut it - 50/14=3.6amps. I think I am correct?? I understand that a voltage regulator is also required so as to not pop the battery.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tim86 »

Even a 50W fixed panel looks a little too large - I may have to look at building a flexi panel from components.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure I understand your reasoning ... while driving the alternator will be supplying more than enough power .... is it not working?

If not, then how are you going to start the vehicle without enough battery power, besides a run start ...(you might not always be in a position to run-start / push-start like in a parking area etc.).

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”