Digital Two-Way Radios Audio Clip

Discuss all kind of nice gadgets and two way radios here.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Digital Two-Way Radios Audio Clip

Post by Family_Dog »

Two-way radios are going Digital in a big way, while Analog models are slowly being phased out. The advantages of Digital Radios are numerous but most strikingly is the difference in voice messges received compared to the older Analog system. The actual reception range is pretty much still the same, but the voice quality of a Digital radio system by far outperforms a conventional Analog two-way radio system.

We have installed several thousand Digital radios to the various Mines and also the Farming Communities in the North West and Northern Cape, as well as to 4x4 users on the national VHF frequencies and the feedback is very positive!

Attached is an actual live demonstration between Junior at Repcom offices and Marius, a farm worker some 25km distant. Marius was using a Kenwood TK-D240 Digital portable radio while Junior was using a Hytera radio. The radios were communicating via a Hytera Digital Repeater, capable of operating in both Digital and Analog modes. Although both Kenwood & Hytera radios embrace Digital technology, they are perfectly capable of operating in dual mode, i.e. either Digital or Analog modes by the flick of a switch.

Listen to this and let's hear your comments!

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/Digital-vs-Analog.mp3

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Digital Two-Way Radios

Post by Stef »

Hi Uncle Eric,

Was that digital on VHF or UHF? We have been using the Motorola SL4010's on UHF for the last few years with automated job ticketing. The Digital radios do have a bit of a lag though in my experience but clarity much better. Can also do private "calls" and SMS type messaging between radios. Just expensive though.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Stef, those are on conventional VHF channels. We do have a number of UHF Digital radios in use by a couple of Security companies... they love them because no-one can eavesdrop on them ;)

These specific radios in use by the Security companies incorporate a GPS and tracking, which means they can be tracked at all times on a central Office computer.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Besides better voice quality there is no static on the digital communication. Sounds good. (I didn't hear the "beep" of the repeater .... is that something of the past?).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

No more 'beep', but the radios do give an audio indication when the operator can talk. The Digital radios have so many other features, for example the ability to hold two separate, independent, conversations simultaneously - in private- over the same repeater. This is a huge advantage for Institutions, Mines, etc. Then, Digital radios are more economical in their battery usage as well when operating in Digital mode. In Analogue mode, they are as power-greedy as other Analog radios.

-F_D

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Digital Two-Way Radios Audio Clip

Post by Thabogrobler »

Bl!ksem!

Dis 2 werelde uitmekaar!!!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thabogrobler wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm Bl!ksem!

Dis 2 werelde uitmekaar!!!

I just love seeing people's faces at work when we do this demo! It really makes a HUGE difference to voice communications :mrgreen:

-F_D

Cinco
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Marloth Park
Vehicle: Hilux Vigo
Club VHF Licence: HC243

Post by Cinco »

I can vouch for the digital clarity, it is really good.
I bought two radios from a Eric for a recent trip and really enjoyed the clear voice communication we had.
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly so, that the range would be better than my old analogue but it was similar.
Wishing my life away till the next trip!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the kind words ;)

Range is always 'line of sight' with VHF two-way radios, the real difference is the fringe area reception where Analog starts to get choppy and noisy, as heard in the audio clip above. But the digital audio retains clarity before dropping off, due to the line of sight interruption which could be a hill or building obstructing the RF path. The curvature of the Earth would also have this effect, hence we always recommend siting the antennas as high as possible, rooftop vs anywhere else results in a compromise.

-F_D

Return to “Electronic Gadgets and Radios”