Jerry Cans On A Nissan Hardbody - Please Help

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
Werner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D 4x4

Jerry Cans On A Nissan Hardbody - Please Help

Post by Werner »

Hi All,

My brother has a Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD with a canopy and wants to mount something that can hold up to 4 jerry cans.

He does not know where to mount it or how to mount it.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
Werner
Werner Goosen

'94 80 Series Land Cruiser

I don't know.....I don't care.....I just don't
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Jerry Cans On A Nissan Hardbody - Please Help

Post by Scooter »

The best bet is to fit load bars and 2 double jerry can brackets above the cab roof.
You could do it over the canopy but you must check the load rating of the canopy.

4 full jerry cans on the cab would be about all it could carry. +- 80KG load rating on most vehicles I think.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Werner, point him to http://www.nissan4x4.co.za where he can speak to the Hardbody guys and get pictures of what they have done and the pitfalls of getting it wrong..
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Werner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Werner »

Bfreesani wrote:Werner, point him to http://www.nissan4x4.co.za where he can speak to the Hardbody guys and get pictures of what they have done and the pitfalls of getting it wrong..
Thanks Bfreesani....will do that.
Scooter wrote:The best bet is to fit load bars and 2 double jerry can brackets above the cab roof.
You could do it over the canopy but you must check the load rating of the canopy.

4 full jerry cans on the cab would be about all it could carry. +- 80KG load rating on most vehicles I think.
He wanted to fit it on those rack things on top of the cab but some fitment centre told him they can only take 50KG....not sure what they recommended...think it was to put it on the back of the canopy over the axels.
Werner Goosen

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Werner wrote:Hi All,

My brother has a Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD...............................
My deepest and most sincere heart felt condolences :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My deepest and most sincere heart felt condolences
:lol: :lol: Naughty, naughty, Richard ... have some pity on the man! :twisted:

Werner, alternatives are long range tank or have tail mounted brackets made up or adapted for jerry-cans. If he fits a spare wheel swing-arm. he can adapt a jerry holder to bolt on in place of the spare. That way the swing arm can be used for either, or. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Rather mount the jerry cans on something stronger... like a hilux...

:silent:
Werner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Werner »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Werner wrote:Hi All,

My brother has a Nissan Hardbody 3.0 TD...............................
My deepest and most sincere heart felt condolences :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
snipes wrote:Rather mount the jerry cans on something stronger... like a hilux...

:silent:
My thought exactly!! :clap: :clap:
Werner Goosen

Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I've got a set of Front runner load bars which I got when I was buying a roof rack.
I wasn't sure how much weight they could hold so I fitted the feet to one of them and put all 96kg of me in the centre. The load bar bearly bowed.

Now if that is a point load, when it is spread over two bars and four jerry cans, it will be fine, at least the load bars will.

It is more likely that the fitment centre gave him the allowable load rating for the rails/gutters on his car. This differs to the load rating of the load bars.

Anyone with any sense will tell you to put the weight over the rear axle, but that is not always possible as as long as you are careful while driving you will be fine.
Rememeber that putting 80kgs on your roof will make it top heavy and any major fast cornering could be disastrous.

The only difference between makes of cars in this instance is the rating of the rails/gutters and then of course the canopy if you wanted to go that route.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Scooter wrote: Anyone with any sense will tell you to put the weight over the rear axle, but that is not always possible as as long as you are careful while driving you will be fine.
Rememeber that putting 80kgs on your roof will make it top heavy and any major fast cornering could be disastrous.
100's bru 100's :thumbup:

I can't believe how some of the Landy's get loaded, then they are shocked when puncture and flip over :roll: :roll:

Return to “Other Vehicles”