best all purpose vehicle ??????

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Nice hypothetical question for the weekend readers .... :subscribed:

what is your idea of the ideal "all purpose" vehicle

If a platkar is dedicated to the daily drive, but not suitable for a holiday including some gravel roads ...

If the Hilux is one big smile on holiday but just too big and bulky in town as a daily driver ....

but then the height of the Hilux in traffic is just SO much better than sitting low down in a platkar ....

and the fuel economy of a daily driver ....

the extra space one sometimes need, without making it too bulky as a daily driver ....

let's spice up the recipe - let's say it should at least be able to tow 1ton ....

for many the answer to these may well be a Fortuner. though it may just be a tad thirsty (as are most of the larger SUV's)

The Daihtasu Terios certainly may be the answer for others - pity it is no longer imported to SA ... (also not sure of its towing capacity)

The size of the 2nd generation RAV certainly fitted the bill. Personally I struggle to see the difference between the new RAV and the Fortuner .... it has grown just too large (for my taste)

Ford Ecosport ??

FJ certainly fits the bill, in all except the fuel bill ....

would love to hear your thoughts. :subscribed: :subscribed:
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: best all purpose vehicle ??????

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I think the Renault Duster is a great little allrounder but not sure of it's towing capacity is.I have only heard only positive feedback about the Duster.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Freelander 2!!

120kw and 400Nm in the older TD4's and 140kw, 440Nm in the SD4.

Decent economy, around 10-11km/L in town and 13-14 open road.

2 Ton tow rating, smooth 6 speed auto box, nippy in traffic; superb ride, decent ground clearance, AND it is available colours other than white!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

FJ's have very little packing space........I enjoyed my Subaru Foresters back in the day. :cooldude:
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

T5 vw 1.9 tdi crew cab not as big as it seems feul consumption good and and lots of space.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

swartvark wrote:FJ's have very little packing space........I enjoyed my Subaru Foresters back in the day. :cooldude:
bit of a challange to find 4 seats, packing space and still have a compact town vehicle .... thus the question about towing capability.

Not a big fan of towing. But the reality is we spend 97% of our time around town, and maybe two or three trips a year if we are very lucky - due to my leave structure not more than one proper out of town trip a year. Thus silly to have a large truck for those two weeks, then parking issues for the rest of the year ....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

thanks guys.

keep the ideas coming
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

ChrisF wrote:thanks guys.

keep the ideas coming
Chris ek vind die FJ redelike pakspasie, 4 sitplekke (almal sit gemaklik) en redelik lig op petrol (sien my grafiek). Fantastiese voertuig. :thumbup:
Attachments
fj consumption6.jpg
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Black Sam
Town: Mtunzini
Vehicle: Nissan Navara Pro 4x

Post by Black Sam »

I agree with Hugo
everyone is scared of the FJ's fuel consumption
I drove a 4.0 V6 Fortuner and I can say the fuel consumption of the FJ is far better

I travelled over a 1000 km with the FJ and it was atleast 2L/100km lighter than the fortuner
I will say the FJ is the Best all purpose vehicle. :thumbup:
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

I'm not so sure.
FJ only has 2 doors so eventually becomes a pain for rear passengers. also heard it can get claustrophobic in the back.
also it is already discontinued overseas so how long is it still going to be sold here ?
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

I far as i am aware it is also discontinued in SA
this year is the last manufactoring year.

The FJ is a nice vehicle for a couple who's children is out of the house
with small children not a good choice as outside viewing is very limited and kids get bored easily.

For my use certainly the best choice.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by rigardt »

so a 4 seater with 2 doors and 2 people ?
what's the rear seats used for ? packing stuff ? make sense
we do the same. we are only 2 and use the rear seats on our double cab for packing space but we can open the rear doors to pack.
how does it work on the 2 door FJ ?
Black Sam

Post by Black Sam »

With both doors open the space isn't to bad :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG-20150829-WA0007.jpg
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

what is your idea of the ideal "all purpose" vehicle

The space of my Hilux
Fuel consumption and maneuverability of the Aygo
Power, sound and ride comfort of the Chev Constantia.

That would be my ideal daily commuter
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I agree the Terios is not a bad option especially in 4x4 variant. Friends of mine towed their Caravette 6B with it on short weekend trips (although legally over the capacity of the Terios which is 1140kg). It's definitely not a rocket but nippy enough in town. Ride also not too bad. Consumption on commuting 11km/l.

The Jimny I suppose for an entry level 4x4 is an option, but they are expensive IMO and you are not going to legally tow more than a suped-up venter I think. Again a 2 person car I believe.

Maybe the Hyundai IX35? Can tow an Echo 6...not sure about consumption though and it is rather on the larger side although not Fortuner large...

I don't think there is a perfect all rounder in existence, for me anyway. Partly the reason why I'm keeping the SFA as it was always meant to be a 3rd vehicle for maybe 6 weekend trips a year and day outings (fishing, GTGs) every other weekend as time/money permit, and I can tow up to 1570kg whilst the offroad trailer I have comes in @ 1400kg max .
Since I've lost the Polo I'm using the bike to commute @ 13.9km/l...if you buy an adventure type bike one could get up to 30km/l depending what you buy. Swambo still has her Polo so that's my all round solution for now.

I'm a tad allergic to making R500k's worth of debt for a new Hilux when 97% of it's use will be for commuting
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stefan your reply resonates ....

Pieter en jy beskryf die drie-ledige probleem GOED. En jy HET mos al gestoei met die spasie vs ekonomie storie ...

iets wat kan (mag) tou is net nie lig op brandstof nie - okay, aanvaarbaar vir n trip, maar te swaar vir die dag-tot-dag gebruik

en dit wat brandstof ruik ... die is weer te flimsy vir grond paaie .... en kan nie wettig tou nie ....

en na my operasie kon ek nog nie die platkar gebruik nie ... ek kan nie lank so dubbel gevou sit nie. So nou sit ek maar heelwat kilos op die Hilux :lmao: :cooldude:

langtermyn ... wie weet, miskien, dalk ....
- hou die hilux vir die behoorlike bos kampe ... maar dan is dit net ek en die vrou ... peetkind kan nie saam nie :naah:
- volgende padkar dalk iets soos die Terios of Ecosport (of wat dan ookal oor n paar jaar die tipe pakket aanbied) omdat die ook die dag kar is tel die kilos vinnig op ....
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Weet jy wat is eintlik die mees praktiese voertuig volgens my?............Caddy Life (kombi) TDi.
Jy sit regop en gemaklik, jy kan sitplekke uithaal en insit sonder tools, lig op juice, oor genoeg krag. :thumbup:

http://www.vwcommercial.co.za/en/models ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek voel lus vir 'n Jeep Rubicon Unlimited... Hy voel vir my baie multi-purpose all rounder vandag... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:Ek voel lus vir 'n Jeep Rubicon Unlimited... Hy voel vir my baie multi-purpose all rounder vandag... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
all round right over taxis ... met crawler gears en 37'' tekkies ....

en dan die motor so bietjie toor om daai groot tekkies te draai :twisted:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Tiaan beslis n interessante opsie.

My buurman het twee Caddy's, so ek het al n paar kilos gedoen in die hulle.

Prys lyk self nie sleg nie - http://www.vwcommercial.co.za/en/models ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAAR, hoekom gee VW altyd n prys sonder helfte van die goed .... Hoe gee mens n prys vir n kombi sonder die tweede ry sitplekke ...

Die Suzuki Vitara is self n handige opsie - maar meer aldag gebruik gemik, met die 1600cc gaan mens seker nie n ton sleep nie.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

ChrisF wrote:Tiaan beslis n interessante opsie.

My buurman het twee Caddy's, so ek het al n paar kilos gedoen in die hulle.

Prys lyk self nie sleg nie - http://www.vwcommercial.co.za/en/models ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MAAR, hoekom gee VW altyd n prys sonder helfte van die goed .... Hoe gee mens n prys vir n kombi sonder die tweede ry sitplekke ...

Die Suzuki Vitara is self n handige opsie - maar meer aldag gebruik gemik, met die 1600cc gaan mens seker nie n ton sleep nie.

Die Maxi is die seven seater standaard. Die gewone (korter) trendline is 'n 5 seater. Indien jy jou spaarwiel wil verloor in ruil vir 'n 7 seater opsie in die kortgat caddy is daar 'n prys aan gekoppel.

Ek hou nogal van 'n Caddy Crewbus ook. Dis meer panelvanerig, maar met 'n agterste ry sitplekke.......amper soos double cab bakkie maw. Hy het egter minder soundproofing, maar kos ook minder.

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

O, ek kan dalk net noem dat een van my kliente sy Caddy Kombi gebruik om mee te boer. hy het al meer as 500 000kms op sy 1.9TDi

Dis die ideale Soccer Mom's car.....en eintlik wat ek moes aanskaf vir Yolande en die 3 kidz..............maar toe kry ek vir haar 'n Golf 3.5 Cabriolette :cooldude: ..............want dis hoe prakties ek dinge doen.

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Boer met blomme seker...

:twisted:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

ChrisF wrote:
The size of the 2nd generation RAV certainly fitted the bill. Personally I struggle to see the difference between the new RAV and the Fortuner .... it has grown just too large (for my taste)

Ford Ecosport ??
Chris,

I would like to just mention here that I have been able to say that I have spent over 15000 in the new shape RAV4 Diesel VX Auto. Yes it is my retired parents vehicle but I tend to drive them around a lot on longer distances and on weekends.

Size wise it is actually a lot more compact than the fortuner but just much better packaged. ( I can park the Prado & Rav in the same tandem garage, where as the Fortuner & Volvo just made it fit tightly) Rear leg room is of the best in this size and even bigger SUV's. I can comfotable stretch out in front behind the steering and again repeat the same in the rear seat behind me and I'm 1.94 tall. Boot space it good for weekends away.

The motor is lively enough and quite a lot of fun in sport mode and also in manual. normal it is relaxed and smooth. Fuel economy averages 6.5 - 7/0 L/ 100 km doing 120 - 140 highway loaded driving.

The auto boot is a bit slow for my liking but it actaully works brilliant. By the time you get in the seat it is closed. So no really fault, just my liking to have things done quickly.

The electronics work really well, DAC, STC and yes it still has the manual centre diff lock and is a great gravel and soft roader. Parks really well and with rear view camera and PDC it is a easy town car to drive. Versatile yes it is all round a great drive.

The Eco sport is a more compact alternative and Yes i like the look of it and the TDCI motor is very well packed with power and driveability. Size wise it is a lot more cramped in the rear and even the driver seat feels quite packed it. Not my liking to be feeling boxed in to much but it is a personal taste thing. Will be a great town drive for me, but not long distance, feels a bit loose in crosswinds.

I would buy both vehicles comfortably, but I would prefer the RAV on longer drives. Just have the much more stable and surefooted handling on dirt roads, very wet tar roads, muddy roads and corrugated roads.

The Freelander is an alternative, however I have spoken to few owners and all mentioned one thing that stood out and that is they are expensive to maintain at the dealers with services ranging from 4K minor to 20K for a major with cambelt and waterpump done. I cannot justify that costs to an oil burner that is discontinued. Maybe 20K on a service for a sportscar.
Johan Marais
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Baie dankie Johan

Will try to "measure" the Fortuner and RAV side by side. You certainly sound very impressed with the RAV :)

Certainly agree on your Freelander comments. Surely a nice vehicle, but low volume and discontinued the new owner may just regret the purchase .... exact reason I am staying clear of the Terios, which would be the perfect town car for us !

Sat in the EcoSport and got off that idea quick enough .... the wrap around dash makes me feel claustraphobic !

Had a look at the options at Opel .... The Mokka would be their compact SUV ... previous bad experiences with Opel/Chev has left a bitter taste - our last three Chev Corsa bakkies were duds, with the worst possible service from the dealers. My bos was on the N1 when the rear brakes locked up - after he had reported issues with it at the previous two services.

Walked across and looked at Honda. H-RV is their compact SUV ..... you have to SIT in that thing to understand the term claustraphobic !! Fastest I ever walked out of a showroom !!

Went to the local VW agent and again got the same lack-luster service. I ASK about the Caddy Life, and walk out with a quote for Caddy Crewcab 7 seater .... (friend bought the CC, Passat R line, and an A3 ... drives right past the local VW dealer to get proper service 30km down the road)

If I had to buy today - Suzuki Vitara 1600. Nice high seating position, proper back support (okay, only the long road can confirm that). Enough space, boot space etc while keeping the outer dimensions in check.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

should add - the Caddy Crewcab 7 seater is a very interesting vehicle ....

as a commercial vehicle it is very basic - the wind-down windows will be a pain for me, as I am entering multiple sites a day and each time need to lower the window to tag in or to speak to security.

Comes standard with hard core rubber mats ... with my mud boots this is certainly a plus.

the second and third rows of seats unclip easily. Thus one could very easily turn this into a little camper, and Sunday night the seats go back in for work on Monday .... certainly has some drawing power ....

BUT, this means living with a vehicle that is barely finished off on the inside .... OR paying a serious premium to upgrade to the Caddy Life (now if only the salesman bothered to give me an exact price for the vehicle I was enquiring about)

On paper the Caddy is also much thirstier than the Vitara.
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

ChrisF wrote:should add - the Caddy Crewcab 7 seater is a very interesting vehicle ....

as a commercial vehicle it is very basic - the wind-down windows will be a pain for me, as I am entering multiple sites a day and each time need to lower the window to tag in or to speak to security.

Comes standard with hard core rubber mats ... with my mud boots this is certainly a plus.

the second and third rows of seats unclip easily. Thus one could very easily turn this into a little camper, and Sunday night the seats go back in for work on Monday .... certainly has some drawing power ....

BUT, this means living with a vehicle that is barely finished off on the inside .... OR paying a serious premium to upgrade to the Caddy Life (now if only the salesman bothered to give me an exact price for the vehicle I was enquiring about)

On paper the Caddy is also much thirstier than the Vitara.

Praat gerus met my as jy 'n VW quote soek. Ek is wel "afgetree" maar kan nog dinge laat gebeur. :cooldude:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
X-Dors
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2

Post by X-Dors »

Don't forget the Pajero Sport 2.5 .Best in safety can engage 4 High on 120 km on any road very capable 4x4 light on fuel , full house 7 seats and the price cheaper new than a second hand Fortuner lots off space
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

X-Dors wrote:Don't forget the Pajero Sport 2.5 .Best in safety can engage 4 High on 120 km on any road very capable 4x4 light on fuel , full house 7 seats and the price cheaper new than a second hand Fortuner lots off space
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: EK LAAIK HOM OOK!!!.................shucks....hoe kon ek van hom vergeet het?

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

X-Dors wrote:Don't forget the Pajero Sport 2.5 .Best in safety can engage 4 High on 120 km on any road very capable 4x4 light on fuel , full house 7 seats and the price cheaper new than a second hand Fortuner lots off space
Paar van hulle hier in Bellville. Selfs een "PA JERO - WP".

waar is hul verspreiders ?
X-Dors
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by X-Dors »

hulle is in Kuilsrivier
X-Dors
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by X-Dors »

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/mits ... rt-shogun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Verseker die Pajero Sport!

BAIE goeie waarde vir jou geld, veral tweedehands!

En capable!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Ek sal se n Audi Q5... Moerse lekker karre daai en die 2l tdi is lig op sous ook.
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I am not in any hurry .... but for some reason the motor industry thinks Easter means price increases ..... :naah:

Looking at the RAV4 :thumbup: :cooldude:

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=40953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guys thanks for all the stunning advise and feedback !! also thank you for the PM's and emails.

Some excellent vehicles in the posts above. Sadly some outside my price range ...

The RAV4 certainly offers all we want, at slightly more than I wanted to spend .... :siffler: :twisted:

should start a separate thread about dealers and stealers .....

I DO want to say thank you to Noreen Logan at Imperial Toyota Cape Gate !! She does not have stock, but checked the system, made two calls, and told me where to find stock. The other dealer would not swop out the stock, but knowing she is loosing out on a sale she handed over all the details. :thumbup: :thumbup: Only spent a few minutes with her, but she left a lasting impression !!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

THANKS to JohanM :thumbup:

Picking this beaut up later today -
20160323_061155_002_resized.jpg
"EXCITED" just does not describe my feelings, :yahoo: :celebrate:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Baie Geluk.............julle gaan hom geniet!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by rigardt »

are you getting the diesel ?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Rigardt I am getting the 2,0 manual petrol.
Chops
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C

Post by Chops »

I had a 2013 RAV 4 2.2 Diesel GX. Fantastic vehicle, but gave it back to the dealer due to non-disclosure of certain mechanical issues on the service record, which was picked up by my local dealer. Toyota Automark. Slightly too big as a daily drive. Excellent family and tow vehicle. AWD 6 speed manual. Seem to be various issues with these diesel motors.

Had a 2009 1.5 Terios Auto AWD before the RAV. With the full Brospeed system a pleasure to drive in town. I wouldn't tow with it though, except a small Venter.

Have a 2010 RAV 4 2.0 petrol auto as my daily drive now. Size in between the Terios and latest RAV 4. Consumption just short of 10km/l in town. If you can get a low km 2.2 diesel, it ticks most boxes.

Have bought my wife a new VW Golf 7 SV 2.0 TDi 5 speed. The SV stands for Sportsvan, and is a slightly bigger/streched version of the Golf 7, and classified as a MPV. Spacious vehicle, with a higher than normal seat height. Smaller than the Touran. 5 Seater.

I agee with the Caddy, but my wife hates them.

She had a 1.6 TDi Cross Polo, and she's over the moon with the SV.

The SV has 16" mags, it's perfect for a good gravel road, slightly more ground clearance than a normal Golf. It's much more luxurious than a Caddy. My choice, if you don't have to 4x4.

The discount price, with leather and panoramic sunroof was R 344k.

I would also throw the Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB in here. Not cheap though, either new or second hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

FIRST trip - Bellville to Gordonsbay, visit the in-laws. Around the coast route to Kleinmond, visit friends. Then on to Onrus (Hermanus) in the dark of night.

Idles along so nicely between 2 and 3 thousand rpm. Low fuel consumption (about 13 km/l) and stays with the other traffic. Along the coast route there was the one chap that would drive way too slow in the twisties and then slightly accelrate on the straight bits .... you know the type. Third straight section back to third, UP the revs, floor it, fourth, and then on to the brakes as I am way past him and the straight is done. So docile at low revs, but wake it up and there are plenty horses. Night time these modern new lights are a veritable sun rise !! :clap:

handling around the coast road was very good ! One would expect such a high vehicle to sway or lean in the bends ... nope. Just keeps asking for more .... :celebrate:

Overall fuel economy for this short trip is about 12,5 km/l

Okay, also noting the minute tell tale signs this is the entry level - no light in the boot for unloading at night ... cell light came to the rescue. No gear indicator on the dash, one actually have to look down at the stick ... (sarcastic smile) .... uhm ja, after 2 decades of 5 gears I have not put many kilos on 6th gear just yet ... :mocking: :crazy:

The interaction between the phone and car radio is just at a different level !! I have been using bluetooth / hands free for a good few years already. This system is just SO much better !! People on the other side simply did not know I was driving. Making a quick call is easier than changing the radio channel !
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Chris.. I'm quite jealous seeing the picture of your new van. I've been doing some window shopping and this new RAV has been really speaking to me since I saw the first one. I'm not currently in the market for a new vehicle but if I were, this would definitely have been one of the top contenders
To God be the glory
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Nice soft Cape Town drizzle this morning ... excellent opportunity to play with the camera.
RAV4-11.jpg
RAV4-17.jpg
RAV4-20.jpg
RAV4-25.jpg
RAV4-19.jpg
RAV4-22.jpg
RAV4-23.jpg
RAV4-26.jpg
RAV4-30.jpg
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Best plat kar you will ever drive, congrats :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Avis?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Borntofish wrote:Avis?
That is the best 4x4 ... :twisted: :twisted:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

ChrisF wrote:THANKS to JohanM :thumbup:

Picking this beaut up later today -
20160323_061155_002_resized.jpg
"EXCITED" just does not describe my feelings, :yahoo: :celebrate:
Chris I am glad to read about your new RAV4 and that you are happy with it. May it only give you the best possible adventures and service from it like I have gotten to know them.. :thumbup: :cooldude:

Like the new one's lights very much and the styling update.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming.
Johan Marais
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

With the rainy weather I have had some time to play a bit -
RAV4 .jpg

Slowly getting to know the RAV. :thumbup: :cooldude:

VERY nice vehicle !!!!

Yes it is the entry level, and when you page through the owners manual you pick up the bits missing from this model
- gear indicator on the dash
- light in the boot
- rear fog light (only has the front set)
- auto rain sensor wiper system
- auto lights on system (but it does have the permanent running lights)
- cruise control (having this added by Toyota)

Frankly the list of "do-haves" is just sooo much longer !! :cooldude: :celebrate:

More to the point - this entry level from Toyota DO outpace the entry level models from the competition !!

Things like park-distance control and reverse camera and full size spare etc are real benefits to me. These are missing from the competition, or only available in the top models, which comes at a substantial premium.

Engine .... At 107kW for a 2 liter this motor was never meant for robot to robot races. :twisted:

BUT, use the right foot, let the engine breath a bit, and she aint no slouch !! :siffler: :siffler:

That said, in town she purs along happily between 2 and 3 ooo rpm. Coming in at UNDER 9 l/100km for TOWN driving.

Due to the Easter weekend traffic I have not been able to keep a consistant speed for any length of time over 110km/h. Combined cycle is now at 8,3 l/100km.

Did a stretch into a gale force wind this afternoon ... :shock: :shock2: Add to that the rolling hills outside Caledon .... probably the worst conditions for fuel economy. With these steep and very long hills you need to keep the revs above 3 000 rpm or the motor labours and slow down.

Did a stint on gravel - at the Hermanus market. Not bumpy at all.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Chris the beauty about the spare wheel being full size alloy is that you can do 5 wheel rotation and evenly wear all tyres down. At 34K the Michellin tyres that came factory fitted is only starting to show signs that they are being well run in. Being AWD it evens out the wear more evenly over the tyres on the road. Looking at the tread left on the tyres, I see a replacement set at 70-80K coming up.

My parent's VX does also not have rear foglights. Maybe the facelift it was included with the VX spec. Enjoy the sunroof a lot when it has been parked in the sun for a long time. Really helps with cooling down very quickly. The factory fitted cruise control with the 6 speed Auto D4D works beautifully. I am sure your's fitted will be also very effective and smooth. Auto lights and wipers is a nice to have but not a must have. Must have's include full size spare wheel, rear view camera & park assist sensors.

Very comfortable seating position all round in all the seats and lots of leg room front and back.
Johan Marais
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Pity the spare is IN the back.

Have previously had a flat where I had to unpack the whole boot to get the spare out ....

But this is SA ... hide it away or it grows legs .....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I put something on the rear seat today .. had to get out and open the door to get to it. No way I could reach it while seated in front.

Yes the vehicle is smaller than the Fortuner. But as it is only a 5 seater it allows AMPLE space for everybody !
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

nog n paar fotos van die RAV4 :cooldude:
RAV4-50.jpg
RAV4-55.jpg
RAV4-59.jpg
RAV4-61.jpg
venom38
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: johannesburg
Vehicle: hilux d4d

Post by venom38 »

Next time you stop somewhere, instead of using the handbrake put some extra force on the brake pedal. It even has hill ascend control!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

My vrou wil haar Verso inruil op n RAV. Sien dan hoe gaan sy my maak in hom ry in plaas van die SFA op soft trips!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Werner laat sy hom koop .... JY gaan nog daai sleutels wil af vry .... :twisted: :twisted:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

solank dit n Toyota is, is dit mos reg altyd reg
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

venom38 wrote:Next time you stop somewhere, instead of using the handbrake put some extra force on the brake pedal. It even has hill ascend control!
DANKIE Corne. Dit werk LEKKER :thumbup: :celebrate:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Eerste week, en LANGPAD het net meer as 1 000 km op die klok :cooldude:

Harde dag in die kantoor gehad .... moes 300km werkstrippie doen, Robertson toe en terug.

Nogal lekker met n papier plaat op ... :siffler: :twisted: :siffler: :twisted:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Few weeks, and a couple of tanks of petrol later. Here is my short term feedback -

If you like the high seating position of an SUV, but want the fuel economy of a car, and still have more space than in a car, without the parking issues of a larger SUV .... the RAV fits the bill !! :thumbup:

real wolf in sheeps clothing ... :siffler: :twisted:

put foot and she aint no slouch.

drive sensibly and you can easily get better than 12 km/l. Actually got 12 km/l WITH the odd bit of fun inbetween.

really like the RAV :thumbup: :cooldude: :clap:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Vandag n harde dag in die "kantoor" gehad ... :cooldude: :yahoo:

Moes inspeksies gaan doen van n aantal geboue ... So is ek vroeg oggend oor die berg. Toe die son sy koppie lig sit ek in Tulbach in n coffee shop voor n kaggel en geniet n lekker koffie.

En toe begin die "harde werk" .... fotos neem van die landgoed. (mag ongelukkig nie nou die fotos hier plaas nie)

deur die kelders ...
deur die ander geboue ...
lekker stap deur die plaas ...
absoluut asemrowende uitsigte !!!! Koppie in die middel van die vallei met n 360 grade uitsig van die vallei en berge reg rondom !!
plaas-paaie ....
en toe kan ons nie inkom by die een area nie en moet so klein ompaaidjie ry - met die RAV :cooldude: :yahoo: :celebrate: :laugh2:

So ry ons verder af en af met die plaaspad .. wat meer spoor as pad raak ... maar ek onthou nog hou om te kyk vir die lyn, en sien waar dit aansluit by die plaaspad .... my gids raak bekommerd ... :twisted: :twisted: ... slow and steady .... the final link to the road was properly rained out, with some deep ruts visible !! Going back was NOT an option. Got the line right, and approached it slowly, not sure if I would have enough ground clearance ... and jerked the engine dead ..... again, slowly, again engine pulled dead ... low range would really have helped. But I refused to rush it and allow the wheel to dig in. Once again, riding the clutch for a second and out she crawled. :yahoo: :celebrate: :cooldude: Should have seen his face when I said it is not the AWD model. :mocking:

LEKKER dag "in die kantoor" :thumbup:

the biggest draw back - lack of low range ... going up steep sections the lowest speed is just too fast to crawl over bad sections. And dont bump the throttle - the engine is just too powerfull and the wheels loose traction immediately. Steady on the throttle.

Man I LOVE the RAV :cooldude:

Return to “Other Vehicles”