electronic ignition

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mvs127
Town: PE
Vehicle: Hilux

electronic ignition

Post by mvs127 »

Does anybody know where I can find an electronic ignition for my Ford Essex engine. My Lux is very thisty (4kms/l) and I'm trying to get it to run a bit more economical. I need a bigger airbox and many folks told me to dump the Donaldson for the old "pancake" type filter. Would this be a bad idea? Should I rather try to get hold of a bigger Donaldson? I stay in PE but will make a plan if parts are elsewhere (courier,etc).
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Mario,

All you need to know is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8302

I just did this 2 months ago on my V6. My fuel consumption is about 6.5 km/L on the open road, and about 4.5 to 5 offroad in low range.

I improved my fuel consumption slightly by reducing the Idle jet size on my Weber 38 from 0.50 to 0.45.

I am running 142 mains and 190 airs.

The Donalson is fine for the Essex. Pancake filter will just draw in hot air which is less dense and reduce volumetric efficiency = less power.

These engines don't rev high, therefore I wouldn't change the Donaldson. I tried a BMC cone filter I had (off my old BMW 328i)to see if it made a difference, and gained nothing. Also not advisable for dust filtation offroad.

Good luck
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

A few things on a Ford V6:

The carb top needs to have enough breathing space above, 1.5 x the choke size (38x1.5=57mm), a pancake doesn't work!

Try to get a 27mm venturi carb (written on the side) they were lighter and had more torque than the 29mm.

Use the donaldson, carb top and intake pipe off an old Courier v6.

Most old v6 distributor's weights are seized or worn and their vacuum units leaks, get your timing right.

The ford v6's were lighter on fuel than the 4y, proven many times.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Does this hold for the 4y EFI as well? What is the consumption with a Ford V6 conversion?
Hoppy wrote:A few things on a Ford V6:

The carb top needs to have enough breathing space above, 1.5 x the choke size (38x1.5=57mm), a pancake doesn't work!

Try to get a 27mm venturi carb (written on the side) they were lighter and had more torque than the 29mm.

Use the donaldson, carb top and intake pipe off an old Courier v6.

Most old v6 distributor's weights are seized or worn and their vacuum units leaks, get your timing right.

The ford v6's were lighter on fuel than the 4y, proven many times.
mvs127
Town: PE
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by mvs127 »

Thank you for the help. I'll stick with the Donaldson, just a bigger one. The one I have currently takes a GUD ADG638 filter and is smaller than the original Donaldson fitted on Hiluxes. I think it uses a ADG727 filter. I have got a really big Donaldson, but don't have the space for it. Andrew, that V6 conversion of yours looks really neat. It looks like a proper JT conversion. When did you do it and who did it? Thanx for the jetting specs and the contact details for electronic ignitions.
Cheers
Mario
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Mario,

It was an original JT V6 which I removed from another Hilux in bad condition. I stripped it, rebuilt it and did the conversion myself at home.

Before:
JT V6 in donor vehicle in a very bad state.JPG
Rebuilt:
JT V6 rebuilt.JPG
Installed:
JT V6 transplanted into Sifu-Lux.JPG
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Sifu-Lux wrote:Hi Mario,

Before:
JT V6 in donor vehicle in a very bad state.JPG
Goeie eiers was there an engine under all that dirt??
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Post by Mars67 »

Beautiful Job!!!!

Return to “The Workshop”