06 3.0 D4D Sensor failure

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

06 3.0 D4D Sensor failure

Post by Mars67 »

Hi Guys from a newbie to this forum. I am the proud owner of a 2006 3.0 D4D DC 4X4. I bought it new and have driven it 125k without it missing one beat. It is the best car I've ever owned until this morning. Yesterday I started it as per normal and then the engine light stayed on. I drove straight to Toyota Lynnwood and they put the tester on to see what was wrong. The techie told me that both the Intake Air Temperaturre Sensor and the Engine coolant Sensor are blown. They both give a reading of -40C. I saw the results on the tester with my own eyes.

The bakkie still started fine, idled smoothly and had normal power. This morning when I started my bakkie she started up immediately but has a bad misfire. Sounds as if she is running on two cylinders and obviously no power.

Has anyone had a similar experience. Why would both those sensors blow/fail simultaneously and for no apparent reason?
The battery is still strong and cranks the engine normally/vigorously. The alternator is charging. The only "electical" issue I have noticed is that she seems to be heavy on globes. Only the High and Low beams which I have had to replace twice now.

Where can one find these parts at a decent cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: 06 3.0 D4D Sensor failure

Post by Mars67 »

Judging by the silence I take it that everyone is as stumped as I was. :? Well I am happy to say that my Hilux has regained its title as the best vehicle I have ever owned. :thumbup: I managed to get two second-hand sensors from Tokia LDV Parts in Montana and started to install them to see if this would solve the problem. When I was replacing the Air Intake Temperature Sensor which screws into the intercooler housing I noticed a 2 cm piece of eletrical wiring lying on the inlet manifold!!! I removed the cover of the intercooler and saw more tiny bits of fine copper wire lying deeper under the intercooler. I had to remove the intercooler to see exactly what was going on only to find that a rat had eaten up 4 cm from 6 of the 8 wires of the harness connecting to all the sensors on the front of the engine. It had also chewed off one of the injector wires on the nr 3 cylinder! It must have eaten the wires of the sensors the previous night and returned to chew some more wires and the injector wire on the next night. Leading to my mighty 3lt being halted in it's tracs by a small and most irritating little creature! I had some wiring harness from a kit car that I built and was able to splice in like-for-like wires into the harness and re-insluated them.

The end result is no more engine light and the bakkie is going like a boeing again!!! :lol: :lol: I now have some spare sensors.
The lesson learnt is that the reading one will see on the diagnostic tool if there is an open line to a temperature sensor is -40C. Check to see if the wires to the sensors aren't broken.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx David, I will be doing some preventative maintenance in the garage this week!

Bought some parts from Sp@r called r@ttex..... :lol:

Tx, for the interesting post! These little mice can however cause great havoc :twisted:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Those little critters can wreak havoc... about a year ago I noticed dog food falling out the engine bay under my wife's golf 4 as she reverse down the drive way, of course I opened the bonnet to investigate... there sat the chap looking totally innocent... a split second later he made a gettaway, damaged tail enol... the little &%$# had packed dog food chunks all over the engine bay... $%##@%$! ... i then gave the engine a basic clean with the hose pipe... put the dog food in a place where the rats can't get to it and forgot about the whole thing... then about a month ago my dogs cornered and killed another rat, a mini daschhund nogals! Then 2 weeks ago while my wife was reversing the Golf out the driveway.... a dead rat fell out under the engine bay... geesh... the chap got wacked by the fan belt... dood! Again I investigated under the bonnet, fortunately this time... no dog food packed left right and centre... except rat droppings everywhere and the stench of rat urine... :sick:... this time I stripped all the covers off and did a proper clean with engine cleaner, parafin and the high pressure cleaner... I got lucky cause the critters hadn't chewed or damaged anything!

As a precautionery measure I'm thinking about installing one of these anti-rat devices:
2405592_5d24b4fcb1.jpg
2405592_5d24b4fcb1.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
mr b :wink:
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mars67 »

Good one RustyRod. I don't think you are ever going to get a pump jockey to check the oil again! :shock: Would be entertaining to watch though!

I have been living on a smallholding for many years now and have actually noticed that the rats are more likely to move into the houses, garages in winter. I keep my bakkie under a carport and I always stop with the nose facing outwards as the rats are then less likely to get into the engine bay, or so I thought. :? We put out some traps. A tip there is that it is crucial that you do not touch the trap with your bare hands. Any human smell on the trap or bait and you can forget about it. Also they prefer things like toffee or peanut butter over cheese. Hopefully I will be able to report on some good results soon. :twisted: :twisted:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Those little critters can wreak havoc... about a year ago I noticed dog food falling out the engine bay under my wife's golf 4 as she reverse down the drive way, of course I opened the bonnet to investigate... there sat the chap looking totally innocent... a split second later he made a gettaway, damaged tail enol... the little &%$# had packed dog food chunks all over the engine bay... $%##@%$! ... i then gave the engine a basic clean with the hose pipe... put the dog food in a place where the rats can't get to it and forgot about the whole thing... then about a month ago my dogs cornered and killed another rat, a mini daschhund nogals! Then 2 weeks ago while my wife was reversing the Golf out the driveway.... a dead rat fell out under the engine bay... geesh... the chap got wacked by the fan belt... dood! Again I investigated under the bonnet, fortunately this time... no dog food packed left right and centre... except rat droppings everywhere and the stench of rat urine... ... this time I stripped all the covers off and did a proper clean with engine cleaner, parafin and the high pressure cleaner... I got lucky cause the critters hadn't chewed or damaged anything!

As a precautionery measure I'm thinking about installing one of these anti-rat devices:
RR, that's really funny man, loved reading it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Workshop”