Over spending on a vehicle, mods, extras etc

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Over spending on a vehicle, mods, extras etc

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Okay here is something to think about...........I am NOT referring to any vehicle on this web site because there seems to be many people that write things and do not think first what they are writing and saying........ so I am going to use a Jeep Wrangler, in the year 2000 a TJ Jeep Wrangler was purchased from Ronnies Motors in East London for R199 000.00 this Wrangler was a std vehicle, most std 4x4 vehicles can be used for general 1 to 3 rated 4x4 trails, to be used to go fishing, maybe driving in some snow or on the beach to go fishing or on an overland safari into Africa.

This Jeep as a standard vehicle had a serious flaw in the design of it, on e rear output shaft of the transfer case, there was a splined section where the speedo drive was connected, this splined section snapped off and thus to sue this Jeep to drive off-road above 3 to 5 rating of a 4x4 trail was just not possible, thus it was either carry out modifications to the vehicle or sell it and buy an old Hilux with solid front axle?

However having an interest in the TJ Jeep Wrangler and seeing what the chaps in America do to their Wranglers and how they modify them, the modifications on this Wrangler began.

Many thousands of rands were spent on this vehicle, name a few of the mods that were carried out on it they are as follows:
Atlas 11 transfer case was fitted, this transfer case basically replaced the std case and then instead of the splined output shaft where the rear propshaft went on, it now had bolted flanges on both sides.

Warn front and rear side shafts were purchased as well as a Pro-comp suspension system, disconnects in the front, heavy duty propshafts, Richmond auto lockers front and rear. 35" Mickey Thompson baja claw tyres. Hydraulic winch in front, front bars, side bars, rear bars etc.

The Wrangler soon became a vehicle that could be driven on rated 5 trails.

Now buying all of these extras for this Jeep soon meant that the value of the vehicle was in fact doubled, however this did not mean that it could now be sold for R400 000.00

Similar to the person that fits an extra locker in their vehicle, roof top tent, drawer system in the rear, canopy, bull bar in the front with a winch, high lift jack, fridge freezer, air con, tow points, roll bars, paint work, side rock bars, etc.

All this extra money spent on a vehicle is sometimes fun for a person and gives a person something to do, it gives them a vehicle that they can use in various ways, but................

When the time comes to sell the vehicle, or it is stolen or written off in an accident, most times the vehicle is not insured with all of the extras and thus this is a "huge" loss to the owner and then the owner thinks because they have spent all this extra money on their pride and joy, they will get it back, well they will not.

I have seen many times on these various web sites where a person is trying to sell their 4x4 and they end up removing various extras from the vehicle to try and sell the vehicle cheaper and then they sell the fridge, roof top tent, drawer system on the side, this does work for some people and they are lucky to get their money back like this, however if you are not in a hurry to sell your love and joy and you have a safe place to keep the vehicle, then you just have to wait for the buyer to come along.

But believe me you will never get your money back on all the extras that your 4x4 has on it.

I know that I will never get the money back on the WRANGLER, but it is not for sale............
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Re: Over spending on a vehicle, mods, extras etc

Post by Agteros »

Agree with you Simoan. I itch to do the Lexus V8 on mine (if only I can find the right guy to do it). That money I know I will never see again.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Any money spent on your 4x4 in terms of extras and modifications is the same as money spent on DSTV subscription... in order to get value for your money you have to use it... and you van never resell it....
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

I agree, its scarce that you get the money back that you have spend on a vehicle.... . I spend for my enjoyment and usefulness. When it comes to selling I usually give the option of buying the add ons with the vehicle, or leaving it out. Your choice.
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Thats totally true in what you are saying...lol....where can we view that wrangler thats not for sale.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

agreed.

HOWEVER - it is possible to insure SOME of the extras .... But you will need to confirm with your insurance how to do this.

With Santam I had to provide a letter on a letterhead of a fitment centre confirming a list of extras, and the value of this. I have specified about 50k worth of itemse in the camper - only a small extra on the premium :)
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

I have way overspend over the years but wont change one thing back.

My bakkie is insured for R97000; the extras for R115000.... This saved me from a write off as my insurer looks at the total insured cost (sum of the two) and not just vehicle value... Found this out
By accident (excuse the pun) but was very relieved.

But i know i wont get it back when i sell. Will drive that vehcile until the wheels fall off... And the put on some new wheels...
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

@ Simoan.

Thanks again for Andries tel. no. I left messages and hope he will contact me.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Simoan, I agree with you, but hobbies is expensive, and when starting one, you never think about "will I get my money back". The other question is, what would you have spent the money on otherwise and would you have got the same enjoyment out of it.
At the end of the day, we do spend tooooo much on our vehicles, but you only live once.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

on the wrangler , i feel for you
have my fighting machine and wont sell it either
i have had and am still having alot of fun in it

try quad bike racing , every year it just gets more and more
i tried calculating the costs to run 1 year
got half and stopped
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

JEEPIE wrote:on the wrangler , i feel for you
have my fighting machine and wont sell it either
i have had and am still having alot of fun in it

try quad bike racing , every year it just gets more and more
i tried calculating the costs to run 1 year
got half and stopped
2000 and 2001 I raced electric RC cars.

Only local races, none of the up-country National series.

STOCK racing, thus not even the expensive class.

tried to add the costs for 2001 ... got past R 30 000 and STOPPED adding up ! :shock2: :surrender:

No such thing as a "cheap hobby" ....

if you are worried about the resale value - DONT get into photography !!!

Return to “Open Discussion”