4x4 Camping Weekend;13 - 15 January 2012;BergKraal-Vredendal

SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

4x4 Camping Weekend;13 - 15 January 2012;BergKraal-Vredendal

Post by SideKick »

Hi all

Over the past weekend I've dropped a lot of hints about this 4x4 Camping weekend I'm planning in Jan and got a lot of positive feedback :yahoo:

So while we're still in the spirit of this past weekend . . .

I'm planning another camping 4x4 weekend, much like this past year end camping 4x4 weekend, for the weekend of the 13th to the 15th of Jan at BergKraal 4x4 in Vredendal (Like Mr B said, the bar has been set quite high). I would also like to have it in the spirit of this past weekend. A great time with great people, with some 4x4 fun on the side.

Some specifics about the trail.

It is a 54km trail. In my not so professional opinion, I would rate it a level 3 - 5. The route itself is a 54km level 3 trail with every kind of challence and obstacle along the way (I think of it as a 54km play pit). From the basic to the extreme (one obstacle is know for eating axles for breakfast). Also, every difficult obstacle can be bypassed. So if you don't want to, you don't have to. Good ground clearance would be nice, but we did get 2 x stock standard Pajero's with zero ground clearance through the whole trail, so it's not an requirement. I don't thing diff lock is required, and I'm not sure about low range. By what I remember, I don't think it's required. It is a guided tour by a very awesome Oom Frikkie :cooldude: . A minimum of 5 vehicles is required to do the trail. If we are a lot more than 10 vehicles, like 20, then it might have to turn into a two day route to be able do do everything, or we just start the trail earlier in the morning . . . There are portapotties scattered along the trail for if nature calls. And at the halfway mark (at the cave with the bushman paintings) we can have a quick lunch or braai. Wood and roosters will be supplied.

It's been a while and my memory is rusty, so my trail report of when I was there can be read here if you are interested:

http://hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the camping part. Camping is R80pppn. Again, wood and roosters are supplied for the campsite, so we can have a lekker braai every evening :D: There is a geni for if needed, as well as toilets and showers. Can't remember if the geyser is gas or electricity. There is a little furnished cabin that sleeps 8 if someone is interested at R150pppn.

The trail is R150 per vehicle (which in my eyes is forniet for the trail you do :shock2: )

If anyone has any questions, please let me know!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Re: 4x4 Camping Weekend;13 - 15 January 2012;BergKraal-Vrede

Post by SideKick »

I'll start a new list :D:

1. SideKick / Spikkels - Camp fees = 2 nights R 320, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 470
2. Boom / Mrs Boom - Camp fees = 2 nights R 320, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 470
3. Gerrie - To confirm
4. Jaco / Elsje - To Confirm
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If you don't require diffloc, then it's a max grade 3.5... and if you don't require low range... then it's a max grade 2!

Grade 5 means there's a very good chance of vehicle damage, be it cosmetic or mechanical!

Hang Stephan, if it's at all possible I'll try to join! Please give us the costs involved as this(+fuel monies) will probably be the determining factor!

B

Sorry ja, see you got the costs... and a spit braai? :twisted:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mr_B wrote:If you don't require diffloc, then it's a max grade 3.5... and if you don't require low range... then it's a max grade 2!

Grade 5 means there's a very good chance of vehicle damage, be it cosmetic or mechanical!

Hang Stephan, if it's at all possible I'll try to join! Please give us the costs involved as this(+fuel monies) will probably be the determining factor!

B

Sorry ja, see you got the costs... and a spit braai? :twisted:
If we are enough ppl, then I'm sure we can organise another spit braai :twisted:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Sounds awesome SW. Will see how my calendar works out for the new year, and let you know. :thumbup: :thumbup:

We might have some big training session on that weekend.. :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

I"m keen, when do you want final numbers by.....
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

and maybe instead of having a spitbraai, we have a potjie cook-off.... later on we have all the correct numbers we organize a few teams to cook different potjies, or is that too much like hard work...
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

vald wrote:I"m keen, when do you want final numbers by.....
Mmm . . . I don't know. Depends, if we do something like the spit, then we will need to know up front. If not spit, then I guess by the day before :blink:
vald wrote:and maybe instead of having a spitbraai, we have a potjie cook-off.... later on we have all the correct numbers we organize a few teams to cook different potjies, or is that too much like hard work...
That sounds like fun too. I just feel sorry for the ppl on my team :angel:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I've got some wilds-vleis looking for a pot! Maybe one of the boerseuns... aka Boetie... could give me some lessons!
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Mr_B wrote:I've got some wilds-vleis looking for a pot! Maybe one of the boerseuns... aka Boetie... could give me some lessons!
Ja Mr-B you, Kim and the kids must come visit one saterday then i'll teach you a few tricks on potjie, (but come early) a good potjie take's the whole day to make, aspecially wild, must be nice and tender and soft when its done,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

truckin wrote:must be nice and tender and soft when its done,
Just like the ouens who makes the potjie by the time it is done..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

My Brother-in-Law apparantly has a very nice Biltong and Yoghurt potjie . . . Maybe I'll try his recipy . . . :think:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I do an unbeatable brannewyn-and-coke pot... just add ice and enjoy... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by truckin »

ThysdJ wrote:
truckin wrote:must be nice and tender and soft when its done,
Just like the ouens who makes the potjie by the time it is done..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jy weet mos n mens meet n potjie se kook tyd in bottle :lmao:
wild vat so 2 bottle om gaar te wees :tease:

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I'll team up with Stubs... from past experience we have the winning formula... a Nestle Kingcone and James King 21yr old Whiskey pot!

I'm lead to believe it's unbeatable! :twisted:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mr_B wrote:I'll team up with Stubs... from past experience we have the winning formula... a Nestle Kingcone and James King 21yr old Whiskey pot!

I'm lead to believe it's unbeatable! :twisted:
You can make the dessert potjie . . . :party:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Dit klink na 'n jol!!!
Ons sal ook graag wil gaan, maar sal natuurlik nog datums ens moet check.

Ek sal die potjies "judge" want kook kan ek nie!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Wil jy dit 'n CLUB ding maak?
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Come on guys & girls...did you check out Stephans Bergkraal pics....LEKKERRR MAN!!! :yahoo:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

swartvark wrote:Wil jy dit 'n CLUB ding maak?
Mmm ... Wat dink julle? Ek het klaar n paar vriende genooi en Gerrie van die wegRy wil ook kom laaste wat ons gepraat het.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Hi

Great news! If we are 10 vehicles, then Frikkie will drop the price of the camping to R50 pppn :thumbup:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

And just one more thing. The potjie . . .

I believe that is a timely process and we might not have enough time. What we can do is either have the potjie competision the friday night, or we split the trail into two days. Half Saturday and half Sunday.

What do you guys think?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Probably on the Friday night, if the trail is all day. It may be better to do the trail in one day... and Sunday pack up day....
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

vald wrote:Probably on the Friday night, if the trail is all day. It may be better to do the trail in one day... and Sunday pack up day....

I agree on that one Val. :thumbup:

Sondag wil ek RUS!!.........ek dink ek gaan dit nodig he na die Saaarag se speel! :beach:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

vald wrote:Probably on the Friday night, if the trail is all day. It may be better to do the trail in one day... and Sunday pack up day....
I also think so.

And Frikkie doesn't mind what time we arrive friday or leave sunday. If you want to arrive 8:00am and leave 8:00pm, then that's fine.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Potjies can take anything from 1 1/2 to 3 hrs, and if it is meat that takes longer to cook that can even be partially precooked at home beforehand.....so that gives may give us enough time for the potjie on Friday....
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: somerset west
Vehicle: hilux 2.2

Post by Andre du preez »

Kan julle nie die trip later in die maand reel nie. Ek wil so graag saam gaan.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Andre du preez wrote:Kan julle nie die trip later in die maand reel nie. Ek wil so graag saam gaan.
Daar is klaar n dag trip in die pyp lyn vir twee weke later in Paarl (Jan Babilons Toring) die laaste naweek van Januarie . . .
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Andre du preez »

Ok, maar Stephan kan ons nie werk daar aan om vroeg volgende jaar Lambertsbaai Dunes te gaan ry nie.
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Andre du preez wrote:Ok, maar Stephan kan ons nie werk daar aan om vroeg volgende jaar Lambertsbaai Dunes te gaan ry nie.
Het jy al ons kalender gesien?

Gaan kyk hier:

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/events/western-cape.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Het jy n spesifieke naweek ingedagte?
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

SideKick wrote:
Andre du preez wrote:Ok, maar Stephan kan ons nie werk daar aan om vroeg volgende jaar Lambertsbaai Dunes te gaan ry nie.
Het jy al ons kalender gesien?

Gaan kyk hier:

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/events/western-cape.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Het jy n spesifieke naweek ingedagte?
Ek sien n Lambertsbaai naweek is klaar op vir die eerste naweek in Maart :thumbup:
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

I'll start a new list :D: - Updated (We get the camping discount if we are 10+ vehicles camping there)

1. SideKick / Spikkels - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
2. Boom / Mrs Boom - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
3. Gerrie - To confirm
Andre du preez
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Andre du preez »

Ja dit klink lekker...... Ek sal graag bergkraal wou doen maar ek is daai tyd nog op die boot.
Stekel
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sunningdale
Vehicle: Hilux V6 4.0 2008

Post by Stekel »

Ek ga definitief saam :yahoo: Potjie klink great vir die Vrydag / Saterdagaand. Ons kan n vinnige cadac braai doen by die boesman grot.

Gan solank begin oefen vir die Pot compo ! :twisted:
Stekel
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sunningdale
Vehicle: Hilux V6 4.0 2008

Post by Stekel »

Eks in vir die Bergkraal trip EN die Lambertsbaai trip!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Daar behoort nie 'n probleem te wees nie.

Ek en Muis is in!!! :thumbup:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Please add Mr B and fam to the list, after this last one Kim is enthusiatic! Not sure if it was driving BoltII or the flippin lekker geselskap that's had the desired effect?
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

I'll start a new list :D: - Updated (We get the camping discount if we are 10+ vehicles camping there)

1. SideKick / Spikkels - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
2. Boom / Mrs Boom - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
3. Gerrie - To confirm
5. Bretton / Kim / 2 x kids - Camp fees = 2 nights R 400, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 550
6. Swartvark (Tiaan) / Muis (Annelize) - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
7. Stekel / Alana - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
8. Stubs - Camp fees = 2 nights R 100, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 250
9. Val ???
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Is dit net ek of is hierdie thread maar stil?

Kan ons nie fancy raak en hom onder die anouncemens sit nie?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

SideKick wrote:I'll start a new list :D: - Updated (We get the camping discount if we are 10+ vehicles camping there)

3. Gerrie - To confirm
5. Bretton / Kim / 2 x kids - Camp fees = 2 nights R 400, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 550
6. Swartvark (Tiaan) / Muis (Annelize) - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
7. Stekel / Alana - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
9. Val - Camp fees = 2 nights R 100, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 250 (to confirm)
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Mr_B wrote:Please add Mr B and fam to the list, after this last one Kim is enthusiatic! Not sure if it was driving BoltII or the flippin lekker geselskap that's had the desired effect?

Must be the "geselskap"..............Kim doesn't look like a Tupperware addict. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

3. Gerrie - To confirm
9. Val - Camp fees = 2 nights R 100, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 250 (to confirm)
10. George- to confirm next year
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

swartvark wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Please add Mr B and fam to the list, after this last one Kim is enthusiatic! Not sure if it was driving BoltII or the flippin lekker geselskap that's had the desired effect?

Must be the "geselskap"..............Kim doesn't look like a Tupperware addict. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Well I can tell you the tupperware cupboard in the kitchen is my least favourite! Not to worry the Bolt-On mods are already underway! It just never stops!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Mr_B wrote:
swartvark wrote:

Well I can tell you the tupperware cupboard in the kitchen is my least favourite! Not to worry the Bolt-On mods are already underway! It just never stops!
:laugh2: :laugh2: Jip.......3 to 6mm Steel beats plastic everytime!!!!
Don't worry "B".........Bolt II is already a sexy Beast!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

My verlof vir FRIDAY 13th :shock2: is geboek!! :cooldude:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

SideKick wrote:I'll start a new list :D:

1. SideKick / Spikkels - Camp fees = 2 nights R 320, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 470
2. Boom / Mrs Boom - Camp fees = 2 nights R 320, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 470
3. Gerrie - To confirm
5. Stubs to confirm
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

SideKick wrote:I'll start a new list :D:

3. Gerrie - To confirm
5. Stubs to confirm
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

3. Gerrie - To confirm
8. Stubs - Camp fees = 2 nights R 100, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 250 (to confirm)
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Mr_B wrote:If you don't require diffloc, then it's a max grade 3.5... and if you don't require low range... then it's a max grade 2!

OK. I went through all my pics of my last visit there. Even if you skip all possible obstacles, you will still need low range . . .
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

anyone want to sponsor my fuel for this weekend ...its nearly 400 clicks from my office in Caledon.....4y divided by 5k's/l = staying at home.... :naah:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by swartvark »

Stubs wrote:anyone want to sponsor my fuel for this weekend ...its nearly 400 clicks from my office in Caledon.....4y divided by 5k's/l = staying at home.... :naah:
You can tow your Lux there with the Corsa..............you'll get there faster and save on fuel!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

now you talking...hehehehe...nah I will be there... just gonna leave on the Tuesday and take a slow drive... :mocking:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

As ek nog in die land is sal ons dit probeer maak!

3. Gerrie - To confirm
8. Stubs - Camp fees = 2 nights R 100, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 250 (to confirm)
11.Johannes + Bianca + 2 klonge - To confirm early next year.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

3. Gerrie en Mev Gerrie - Camp fees = 2 nights R 200, Trail Fee = R 150 Total to pay R 350
11.Johannes + Bianca + 2 klonge - To confirm early next year.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Yippee... looks like we're getting a nice size group together.... my radio will be fitted by then and good chance to test it out...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Without wanting to upset anyone, I'm 50/50 at this point, will only be able to confirm in the first week of Jan!
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by truckin »

Uhmm, ek stel belang, as daar nog n gaatjie is vir my, maar ek sal ook eers 1st week jan weet waar ek staan met die oes, dit sal bepaal of ek in is of uit, (Sidekick wats jou afsny datum vir hierdie byeenkoms?)

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

There is no D-Day where we will say you can't come anymore. But I would like to know by the 8th so that I can give Frikkie accurate figures of how many people to expect.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Ok, me thinks it sound like a good idea, can i take my scooters or are they full of crap?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Allan copied off their website ". Motorfietse ook welkom - koste beloop R50 per motorfiets".... so yes they are welcome......
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Sounds like a good idea then
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “Western Cape”