KZ-TE vs. 3.0 D4D

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Justin Marshall
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: HJ 60

KZ-TE vs. 3.0 D4D

Post by Justin Marshall »

It's decision time, I'm looking for a double cab that will be used as an everyday car and occassionaly as the off road trip car (I have an monster HJ 60 for the serious stuff). I'm going diesel to take advantage of cheaper bio-diesel.

I know the KZ-TE is a proven motor and very reliable vehicle alround but I'd like to work out whether I go for a 2005 KZ-TE who's styling will start to look a bit dated in the next 3 years or look at buying a newer 3.0 D4D. I haven't as yet decided whether I'll go with the 4x4 variant of either vehicle.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: KZ-TE vs. 3.0 D4D

Post by Niel »

Hi Justin, welcome to the forum. I don't like the new shape Hilux in its DC form. I can only add that the commonrails (d4d) don't like "dirty" diesel so keep that in mind when you travel africa. The direct inject (kzte) diesels will handle "dirty diesel better. D4D does have better fuel consumption and can be better tuned.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Welcome to the forum Justin. Hope you find what you are looking for.
To God be the glory
Jaco
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Somerset-West
Vehicle: 2.2P Hilux DC 4x4

Post by Jaco »

Hi Justin,
Also a good idea to verify if the new model will fit into your garage. A friend of mine is battling to get it into his garage - it is huge in lenght and width.
RaiderGP
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota Hilux D-4D Raider D/C 4x4

Post by RaiderGP »

Hi,

I've owned a 2003 KZ-TE D/C for about two years.. Was an excellent vehicle.. I had done the full SAC conversion which really made the vehicle come alive.. was much more powerful (99kw at the wheels) and very reponsive. Fuel-wise it was much lighter too.. I averaged about 10l/100km... I made one long distance trip to Vic Falls and four adults managed comfortably.. My only gripe was that it was not a 4x4... :(

so.. last year I sold the vehicle and bought a 2006 D-4D D/C 4x4.. Wow! I was seriously impressed!! The ride, comfort, fit and finish was waaaay ahead of the previous model! the only thing that I wasnt too happy with was the performance.. for a 120kw motor.. it was a bit sluggish for my liking (especially since I was so used to the lively performance of the tuned KZ). I soon had a Dastek Plug 'n Play fitted and that sorted out the performance issues... :mrgreen:

Other than that.. the newer model is great for family outings and for use as a daily vehicle. Off road capability? well.. this is my first 4x4 and I have been out on several occasion...and am very impressed! makes molehills out of mountains!! ...only problem is them aluminum side steps are rubbish and will catch on most obstacles.. so you gotta remove them.. There are also plenty other mods one can do to make the new model a real rugged offroad machine!

For me.. well.. the vehicle suits me just fine in standard form..so I will be keeping offroad mods to a minimum. I'd recommend fitting proper rock-sliders and perhaps raising the body if you can afford the expense!

About the size..hhmm.. the vehicle is bigger...wider, longer and heavier than the previous model.. with the nudge bar and tow bar the vehicle just makes it into my garage (I actually have a foam strip on the front wall and when I park, the nudgebar has to be touching the foam strip!) with this setup, my garage door clears the tow-hitch by like 5cm.. :shock:

hope this info helps...

my 7c worth.. :wink:

~ PV
2006 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D Raider 4x4 D/C
Dastek Power Plugged
Future mods: Rock Sliders, EGT Guage, Suspension (when the lotto Gods shower me with their blessings...)

2001 Golf 4 GTI
Chipped, Decatted and Free flowed

...for the love of BOOST !
Justin Marshall
Vehicle: HJ 60

Post by Justin Marshall »

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice is great thanks!
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Hi Justin,welkom to the forum.cant help you on the subject,as long as it is a Hilux :)
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Justin Marshall wrote: Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.
Sfuff the stinky diesels get a 4 liter V6, much more thrilling to dive then an old oil burner :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Nou praat jy 8)
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

And with the current price of diesel it will take you years to get any benefit out of driving one! Go for the 4.0 V6. It's a great motor with lots of power and torque. And you get 8km/l with a heavy foot in town driving! :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermartizburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4lt V6 (Vigo)

Post by djkleu »

I agree, I had the 3 d4d, it goes well but the drive is just so different from a Petrol, and for me the petrol is better.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”