Removing a blade from OME front suspension

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Removing a blade from OME front suspension

Post by Family_Dog »

I had fitted a full OME suspension set to my 4Y Hilux, new shocks all round, and six leaf springs, front and rear. While this certainly increased the ride height to about 35-40mm higher than I previously had with the negatively-arched standard front leaf springs, I found the ride comfort to be uncomfortably hard. I then found out that OME has two suspension kits available for the old SFA Hilux, a 5-leaf kit as well as a 6-leaf kit. I figured they had fitted the wrong kit to my vehicle, inspite of asking for the "comfort" suspension to be fitted. I don't have a winch nor a heavy diesel engine, so I am sure I can get by with the standard 5-leaf kit.

I am taking the vehicle in tomorrow for this extra blade to be removed, will be interesting to see the difference in driving comfort as well as body-height afterwards.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I had the blade removed today, and the overall result is a much smoother ride. Downside is I lost about 15mm in height clearance, but will have to live with that rather than the bone-juddering harsh ride I previously had.

Taking a tape measure and measuring from the bottom of the front rim above the tyre beading), I get 83mm to the lower end of the wheel arch now.

What do other people get for this same measurement?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

ride height

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Hello Family Dog

Yes you are very correct about the various kits that they sell, if you are concerned about the ride height, you could still consider fitting larger tyres to your truck, this will also give you more height, some rear revolver shackles will also give you more height, but to fit these shackles there are a few other items to consider.

Your truck sure looks nice and clean, nice looking vehicle.

On my Hilux I have std Hilux springs fitted and then Black Diamong front springs, on the one side, (drivers side) there is one extra spring than the left hand side, the reason being, the extra weight of the driver, power steering box and the fuel tank have to be considered.

On your trucks now, are there the same amount of spring blades all round.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Simon

The Procomp kit I have, have different spring packs for left and right but these springs have the same amount of blades on each side. It is as you rightly said to compensate for the weight difference. between left and right.

On my Procomp kit I had to install the blade marked L on the right and vice versa since the kit is deigned for Left hand Drive vehicles in the UI ma sure the OME should be similar :wink:
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Front blades

Post by Riceburner »

The leave spring perches on the driverside is lower than the passenger side. Marlin crawler ships a spacer with the kits to compensate for this.
KZN KZTE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Himeville
Vehicle: 2000 2700i 4X2 D/Cab

Re: Removing a blade from OME front suspension

Post by KZN KZTE »

Hi FD,

I know this is an old post, but the subject drew my attention.
Coming back from my 1st long business trip since I bought the bakkie last month.
I traveled up country through some of KZN's gravel and pothole filled roads and I found the suspension extremely hard on my back. I really don't know how long the front suspension can last with all the hard knocks it's taking which causes me to have to bite on my teeth.

My bakkie is stock standard and I wanted to know if this is normal. I always heard the jokes about Toyota and kidney belts but never knew it's this bad.
Driving on tar is an absolute pleasure but the potholes and bad roads are killers!
Is this 'normal' or is my bakkie's suspension just shot (145,000 on the clock).
Tyre pressure is on 2 bar.

Can I remove one of the blades on my standard leave springs?
I even thought of fitting springs to my driver seat to absorb the knocks :)

Any advice?
Cur: 2000 Toyota Hilux 2700i 4X2 (Missing V6 power)
Pre: 2001 Pajero 3.5 V6 Manual Gen3 (Lemon)
Pre: 1999 Pajero 3.5 V6 Auto (Written off )
Pre: 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4X4 Auto (Still a Softy)
Pre: 2001 Toyota Hilux KZTE 4X2 (Hard suspension killed me)
Pre: 1995 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8i Auto (Broke down too much)
Tow: Venter Botswana (Sold)
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Eric.

The Ome have for the SFA right and left hand side Leafsprings, It should be OME99A(OME91A) and OME99B(OME91B) old part #. Last # is the 6 blade one. Then the new part # is the OMECS008FA and OMECS008FB. Heavy duty is the OMECS009FA and OMECS009FB.

The A is Right(Driver side) is about 8mm higher than the B(Passanger side). Another thing is to check for the front saddles if they are not distorted.. I think already did a write up here somewhere how to correct them. This will without changing changing anything increase the height in the front between 15- 30mm, depending on the condition of the blades.

If there is more questions let me know. :thumbup:

Louis
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Pierre,

Check your Shocks.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:
Another thing is to check for the front saddles if they are not distorted.. I think already did a write up here somewhere how to correct them. This will without changing changing anything increase the height in the front between 15- 30mm, depending on the condition of the blades.
:thumbup:
This was the case with mine Louis, I'd be keen to hear what your remedy is for this; :arrow:

my right is affecting by 30mm, we are proposing the installation a of a spacer between saddle and pack :|

What do you think :?: :?:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Did you consult Darryl, Richard? .... not perhaps fitted on the wrong sides? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:Did you consult Darryl, Richard? .... not perhaps fitted on the wrong sides? :think:
No man, Daryll was there for the fitment, I didn't do it myself; it has the right spring packs. :roll:

The front right saddle was very worn (convexed) :?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I'm also considering removing a leaf in front, since I have had the axle moved forward and a shim/support placed on the leaf springs perch I find that small sharp bumps have become pretty hard, jarring...

Any thoughts / advise?

B
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

The front right saddle was very worn (convexed)
By "saddle" I assume you're refferring to the pedestal on the axle housing? (It should be flat surfaced)
since I have had the axle moved forward and a shim/support placed on the leaf springs perch I find that small sharp bumps have become pretty hard, jarring
I don't know, Bretton, but common sense would suggest that the best spring performance would result from the axle being mounted centre on the leaf pack. Once you move the axle forward you are shortening one side of the pack's flexing length, thus making it stiffer. :think: :think: :?:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

I need a volunteer to part of R175 that we can do a write up on this issue. I need the Hilux for a day. Remember the outcome can vary because of the age of the blades, the newer the better the outcome.

Anyone interested?

Louis
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

What are you proposing, Louis? Do you want to remove a blade and do "before and after" tests? What kind of tests?

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

I want only to correct the saddles where the blades rest, make it flat again to show how it affect the ride height in the front.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:I want only to correct the saddles where the blades rest, make it flat again to show how it affect the ride height in the front.
Sounds like a great exercise :!:

Shame I'm in CPT :cry:
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Jy kan dit met myne doen Louis.
Sê net waneer.

Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Should be interesting to see how much difference it will make. I can ubderstand how the U-bolts will pull the spring down (flatter) if the edges of the pedestals are worn away and the rest surface is then convex. The problem, where it exists, can be shimmed to correction or the pedestal itself beaten on the sides in order to raise the leading edges. :think:

Have you come across this often Louis?

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Hoe lyk jou planne volgende Woensdag? Dankie Evert.
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Andy,

Since the time that we did Scotts Hilux we were becoming aware of this more often than usuall. The saddles get distorted with age, just as we fitted the new suspensions before that time the people bought it back and said the blades sagged. The saddles is the culprit, not the blades. Remember if the std blades is in and it is old it can be a different outcome than if there is new blades in. I see that Evert has the Mikems in, before and after measurement will tell the difference.
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Louis

Volgende woensdag klink goed.
Hoe laat moet ek da by jou wees?
92 Hilux dc 2.2

ImageImageImage
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Evert, so tussen 8 en 9uur. As jy vroeer wil kom sal ons dit kan reel.

Groette,
Louis
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Louis

Dit is reg so
Sien jou woensdag

Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2

ImageImageImage
Hiluxman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: '89 SFA DC Botswana Spec

Post by Hiluxman »

Ek het een bladveer uitgehaal elke kant voor, en camil coil-over shocks ingesit wat hom weer terugvat na oorspronklike hoogte maar tog beter laat ry. Nog 'n opsie, alhoewel die camil shocks kritiek kry oor hulle olie in het en nie gas nie
'89 Hilux DC 7mge Cressida Conversion
'96 Land Cruiser GX 4.5 OME Suspension, ECB bull bar and Warn Winch
'05 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS Premium
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Evert is dit nog reg vir vandag?

Louis
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Arthur

Mooi dink, dit gaan nie oor olie of gas nie maar die kwaliteit van die shocks wat hulle gebruik, klomp ouens het al issues gehad. Die ander ding wat jy in ag moet neem is dat die damp rathe van die coil en blade springs verskil en hulle kan dalk teen mekaar inwerk en jou performance belemmer
hilux hilife
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: '97 hilux D/C 2.7i 3RZ

Post by hilux hilife »

Hi All
i read this thread with interest as I suspect a problem with either my steering geometry or my front suspension - my blades are also negatively arched which might be because of the saddles as mentioned here but what worries me more is the bakkie wanders terribly on the road. If the road has the slightest imperfection, bump or ridge the bakkie is all over the place as if the steering is loose. I nipped up the adjustment on the steering box but it didn't really help. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. :(
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

hilux hilife wrote:Hi All
i read this thread with interest as I suspect a problem with either my steering geometry or my front suspension - my blades are also negatively arched which might be because of the saddles as mentioned here but what worries me more is the bakkie wanders terribly on the road. If the road has the slightest imperfection, bump or ridge the bakkie is all over the place as if the steering is loose. I nipped up the adjustment on the steering box but it didn't really help. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. :(
Mike

Have a read here man (this Thread split to be more specific):

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7412

Good luck :wink:

R
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If there is no uneven wear on the front tyres then there is no likely geometry problem, but how much play is there in your steering? Any play in the drag link or steering arms knuckles?

KZN KZTE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Himeville
Vehicle: 2000 2700i 4X2 D/Cab

Post by KZN KZTE »

Louis - what happend? Could you do your tests?
Cur: 2000 Toyota Hilux 2700i 4X2 (Missing V6 power)
Pre: 2001 Pajero 3.5 V6 Manual Gen3 (Lemon)
Pre: 1999 Pajero 3.5 V6 Auto (Written off )
Pre: 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4X4 Auto (Still a Softy)
Pre: 2001 Toyota Hilux KZTE 4X2 (Hard suspension killed me)
Pre: 1995 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8i Auto (Broke down too much)
Tow: Venter Botswana (Sold)
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by LouisZ »

Pierre,

Look at this viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7412.

Hope it helps.
Louis