Sparewheel lock

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Sparewheel lock

Post by The Legend »

My SFA is fitted with a front runner long range tank above the spare wheel. Is it possible to fit a spare wheel Iock without removing the the long range tank?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Re: Sparewheel lock

Post by Rusti »

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I was thinking of putting a pad lock on the loop that the hook fits on when you lower the wheel.. if they can't lower it they can't steel it. But I haven't had a look to see if there is space to get a lock in there.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's quite easy to put a padlock on, but at best it's just a small hiccup for the would be thieves. They just break the lock off in a few seconds once they get under there, and if it's in an area where they know they don't have much time, they might just give it a miss. Padlocks are therefore not the answer.

Something else to bear in mind is that the padlock is forgotten about under there and not kept in good working order with regular cleaning / oiling. When you want to unlock it's either jammed with dirt and rust or the key doesn't even go in because of all the dirt. Then there's the possible problem of having lost / misplaced the key and cannot find it. Both scenarios have happened to me at some point, but I still use a padlock - rather that than nothing at all.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
theos
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D DC

Post by theos »

I have a chain bolted to the chassis. I then run the chain through the spare wheel and lock it to the tow bar with a good quality lock.

To stop it rattling I pulled a bicycle inner tube over the chain.
Never Ever say DIE !!!!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”