Leaking Radiator

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Leaking Radiator

Post by Moonunit »

HI all

Need some advice, got a 1998 LTD SFA with a 22R. Previous owner put in a new radiator but it seems it is leaking. Rather than repairing I want to replace with new. Spoke to my local CHE(Cape Heat Exchange) and they recommended building a copper radiator for around R3500.00 installed. It will be bigger and taller, and according to them much better than what I have now.

What do you guys suggest, go with the copper one or replace with aluminium? If aluminium what type? I remember reading somewhere that the BMW 740 radiator fits. Don't mind spending R3500 but want to know that it will be a permanent fix, but if I can get away with less even better.

Thanks in advance.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Leaking Radiator

Post by Mud Dog »

Just go for the standard alu radiator (about R900) .... It'll work as well if not better than a copper one. Witha standard radiator you can still use your existing cowl, whereas with a larger custom unit you would have to have a new cowl made up .... more $$ that they will be stinging you for!! :crazy: The guys at Toyota with the thick coke-bottle glasses and white coats would have designed a bigger radiator if it was required. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

What engine do you have in?

We had this discussion on the Tazz thread the other day. Aluminium is better for heat transfer.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Need some advice, got a 1998 LTD SFA with a 22R.
It's a 22R Pieter, so no conversion that requires more cooling. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

agree with Andy. I had a 4 core copper radiator in my bakkie with Kzte and had heating problems. change to standard kzte aluminium radiator for R1200 and problem was solved. :thumbup:
One life, one dream, one toyota
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

The 2.7 aluminium radiator from Gemini Spares in Brackenfell will fit straight in and will do the trick. R 900 IIRC.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Always a wealth of knowledge here.

Anymore input/experience always appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Replace the thermostat while the coolant is drained.
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Leaking Radiator

Post by Moonunit »

Spoke to Allen and Francois, they recommended the 2.4D radiator as it has a thicker core but it is a bolt on fit and requires no modification. Will ask Francois to change thermostat as well.

Thanks for the advice all!

Return to “The Workshop”