D4D Auto vs. D4D Manual

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

D4D Auto vs. D4D Manual

Post by WayneSchalk »

I am browsing around for a bit newer Hilux with less KM on, there is a lot of the auto 4x4 available and would like some input form someone who has the auto and how would hou say it compares to manual.

I would not mind auto box as I am lazy :lol: but don't want it if it is *a*
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Re: D4D Auto vs. D4D Manual

Post by MCHILUX »

Auto anytime too much hassles with clutches on manual
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Post by Mars67 »

The auto is going to be heavier on diesel than the manual. I have a manual and had the opportunity to drive down to Cape Town and back in an auto. I was very impressed with the auto. I was surprised to feel how well the auto box is mated to the diesel engine. It pulls well, shifts smoothly, is very comfortable to drive and there is not that much of a difference in fuel consumption. Personally I would still go for the manual

What hassles are you aware of on the clutches MCHILUX?
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Post by Nick S »

I have the Auto and my boet has the Manual So we compare just about everything on the cars. :aggresive:
The manual is slightly less thirsty than the auto. That being said, for the comfort Ill ignore the difference as it is a very slight difference.

My boets manual has been in for a replacement clutch when it had about 20 00 km on the clock due to a noise and a shudder on pull off. :slap:

Personally I would go auto due to comfort and ease of drive. The manual is just as lekker I just PERSONALLY prefer the auto. :surrender:
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

I have a manual and if I had to choose again, Auto without a doubt, Yes I am lazy as well, but just to avoid having to ride the clutch a bit on an incline etc, the Turbo lag can be bollie
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

Post by Christian Kuun »

No matter what, once you go Auto, you never go back. I have a manual Fortuner and my wife an Auto Ranger.....I wish mine was Auto too!!!
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5
hendrik.earle
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 d/c a/t, 60mm lift, steeltop canopy, Custom Bullbar, Custom roofrack, WHEELS:vacancy open for 35x12.5r15

Post by hendrik.earle »

I drive a Vigo V6 Auto, will never go back to manual.
My father-in-law used to drive a Navara 2.5 manual. We went to 4x4 training together and the guys with manuals had to learn stall starts and what gear to choose when doing an obstacle etc. The auto's don't have that trouble, the only thing is on descents you use your brakes a lot and they can overheat.

Even after that my father-in-law said he is not lazy and will not buy an auto. Then one day he had to drive my Hilux somewhere, and a month after that he traded his Manual Navara for an Auto Navara 2.5, and also when he bought a new platkar for his wife he bought an Auto.

Another positive for me is when towing another vehicle with an auto you don't have any jerking, every thing happens smooth and the towstrap stays tight all the time.

Driving in sand you don't lose any momentum when changing gears.

Swambo's input: the Auto never rolls back when pulling away at a robot on a hill, or when in a parking on a street that is not level.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”