How not to do a recovery

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Kaaskrul
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2018 Hilux X-Cab 4x4 Dakar

How not to do a recovery

Post by Kaaskrul »

Wow!!! Eish.

http://jussayin.lolspotsarticles.com/20 ... -beach?p=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: How not to do a recovery

Post by Mud Dog »

I wonder if they realise just how lucky they were .... that could have had a far more serious outcome :crazy:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

These guys are so lucky they should buy lotto tickets every week and they WILL win... every time.. :silent: :silent:

But let this be a lesson.. do we keep spectators far enough away when we do recoveries?? :think: :think: :think:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Wurmscooby
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4 SFA

Post by Wurmscooby »

agree could have been fatal.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:These guys are so lucky they should buy lotto tickets every week and they WILL win... every time.. :silent: :silent:

But let this be a lesson.. do we keep spectators far enough away when we do recoveries?? :think: :think: :think:
At the very least to be away from any part of the recovery by 1½ times the length of the recovery strap / rope.

It's all been said many times before, but still cannot be stressed enough. Tow-bars / bumpers are not for recovery unless properly braced with reinforced mountings and suitably rated bolts. If there are no recovery points, 2nd best option is the axle, BUT, only attach right up against and to the inside of the U-bolt. Axle housings can bend easier than you may think.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Eina. Dont think those two buggers will stand near a recovery again in a hurry !
Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Post by Pietman »

Eisch. This could have been fatal!!! :silent: :silent: :silent:
EX ALTO VINCIMUS
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:These guys are so lucky they should buy lotto tickets every week and they WILL win... every time.. :silent: :silent:

At the very least to be away from any part of the recovery by 1½ times the length of the recovery strap / rope.

It's all been said many times before, but still cannot be stressed enough. Tow-bars / bumpers are not for recovery unless properly braced with reinforced mountings and suitably rated bolts. If there are no recovery points,2nd best option is the axle, BUT, only attach right up against and to the inside of the U-bolt. Axle housings can bend easier than you may think.
Julle ouens in Oos Londen se axles is lekker stewig.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:

It's all been said many times before, but still cannot be stressed enough. Tow-bars / bumpers are not for recovery unless properly braced with reinforced mountings and suitably rated bolts. If there are no recovery points,2nd best option is the axle, BUT, only attach right up against and to the inside of the U-bolt. Axle housings can bend easier than you may think.
Julle ouens in Oos Londen se axles is lekker stewig.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jy willie sal weetie! :lol: :lol:

Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Stupid people doing stupid things...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hangover wrote:Stupid people doing stupid things...
phpBB [video]

View Original
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

george wrote:
Hangover wrote:Stupid people doing stupid things...
phpBB [video]

View Original
Dis hoekom daai walies plat karre ry... En net plat karre...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

This guy doesnt come from East London... And the fact that its a Jeep also has nothing to do with it.. Careful when attaching snatch ropes to axles ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

phpBB [video]

View Original

Rather go for a bridle wrapped around a chassis member with a dead shackle.. that way the wheels stay where they are supposed to be.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hear what you're saying Thys, but that's a bit of an exaggerated example don't you think? I mean, firstly the recovery direction is wrong (very bad in fact), and with force like that the chassis would have probably been bent anyway. I reckon they would probably have damaged any vehicle with that kind of effort, recovery points or not.

The thing I have against attaching ropes / straps to the chassis rails is that they have to come up against some form of 'stop' that prevents them slipping along the rail and very often these have edges that will cut / damage / compromise the strap, and when it snaps there, the shackle goes flying. Also most of the time there are electrical / fuel / brake lines running alongside the rails which could be compromised and lead to further problems.

I know it's not ideal to attach to the axle - there is a risk of shearing the locating pin and the axle moves on the leaf pack, probably less chance of snapping two thick tensile u-bolts, but also possible with enough force.
I dunno, obviously one would have to assess each scenario on it's own merits / pitfalls, but generally I would still be inclined to opt for the axle. :think:

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I take a graded chain & connectors with me if i do recoverys, the axle is not the ideal place to snatch, if i don't trust the recovery points, i use my chain.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Hoppy has the correct answer to this problem, and that black chain is a neat piece of work. A dead shackle cannot fly. It just drops to the ground like a stone.

You are quite correct Andy, every situation should be assessed and handled on its own merit, but even then, I would not use an axle as a place to attach a recovery strap. I would much rather risk losing a strap than losing or dislocating an axle. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

idiots
idiots
idiots
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)

Return to “Open Discussion”