FRONT SPRINGS ON AN SFA 1997

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
toyota
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

FRONT SPRINGS ON AN SFA 1997

Post by toyota »

Hi once again can any one tell me which way the front springs on a 1997 hilux should curve, mine curve downwards and the drivers side looks lower than the other side. WHAT TO DO. :?: :(
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: FRONT SPRINGS ON AN SFA 1997

Post by Haboob »

They are probably just a little tired, this is a common problem, but not always serious. Speak to Dylon (A M Racing). He will probably advise you to fit OME as a more permanent solution. Retensioned springs done in your area are normally a temporary solution, and the manufacturers springs will not last as long as OME and not give you the same comfort or quality. Spend a bit more & have a longer lasting solution. If you attended the Breakfast the solutions were all available there...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
4thGeer
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: King Williamstown
Vehicle: HILUX SFA

Post by 4thGeer »

Hi john i have the same problem with my lux the springs do curve downwards even from new im also goin to have to go the ome way.
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

myne are more or less strait, also always wondered about that, anyone the the price of th ome?
Chris16v
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 87 Hilux SFA 4y EFI

Post by Chris16v »

John read this article that Louis did , I have the same problem and will do this when I fit new suspension .

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/strengthen-hi ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

John, leave it like that till after your Bots trip .... I'm sure you're not going to do any major obstacles. It's not an urgent issue and the vehicle will be fine .... lots of SFA's running around with sagging leaf packs, some of them like that for decades.

OME is the better option IMHO, put pricey. What you can do as a medium term fix is to press them back into shape .... far better than 're-tensioning' with heat. In my youth (long time back :D: ) we beat the blades back into shape (rear packs on platkarre), which also works, just a lot of effort, especially with the heavier, thicker and broader blades of a truck.
See here ..... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28052&p=331711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
toyota
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by toyota »

Thanks Andy
As you said I will wait until I get back from Bots.The only off roading we will be doing is from Maun airport to his small holding and their is nothing we will be camping with buckets in the trees to shower and long drops for the rest.Not having driven very long distances with the lux it is just hoped nothing will go wrong as the time is so short.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”