Cederberg over Easter

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4 DC A/T

Cederberg over Easter

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a fix and I hope that my fellow travelers here on the forum may be able to assist.

We are a group of eight (four vehicles - all 4x4's) that are planning a trip into the Cederberg over the Easter Weekend. The plan is to drive from Cape Town on the Friday Morning via Ceres. We would like to spend one night somewhere close to the Stadsaal Caves and then travel up to Whuppethal the next day. We'll overnight in Whupperthal on Saturday and Sunday and then drive over Hoek se Berg pass to Clanwilliam and back to Cape Town on Monday.

My challenge is that I can't seem to find accommodation for the Friday night close enough to Stadsaal Caves. Two of the traveling couples have small babies, so we are trying to spend as little as possible time in the cars as well as accommodation that will suit mommies and babies for a comfortable, but reasonably priced stay - so more than likely cabins or cottages.

I have tried the following places with no luck:
Kromrivier -full
Dwarsrivier/Sandrift - full
Jamaka Farm - full
Driehoek - full
Nuwerust - full
Mount Ceder is too expensive

Is there maybe some of you that know of nice places to stay in the area?

Any help will be appreciated.
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: Cederberg over Easter

Post by GI Jane »

Julian, you've covered all the places I know, not sure if Algeria campsite is within the distance you want to cover, you may want to try them ie cape nature...
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Have you tried Oasis. It is more of a backpackers but maybe they could help. They are close to the caves and the owner, I think Danie, will tel you how and where to go.

Good luck in your search.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

The owners name is Gerrit not Danie. They have the best steak and chips I have had in a very long time.
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4 DC A/T

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

Thank guys. I spoke with Gerrit. He is fully booked. Algeria is unfortunately way out of our planned route. To top it off, I spoke with Biedouw 4x4 last week and this week they're fully booked - can't believe how quickly the places get lapped up!

I am still open to suggestions, please :beg: :beg:
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”