Drivers door catch

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ TE 4x4 D/C and Suzuki SJ413
Club VHF Licence: HC 308

Drivers door catch

Post by Opsmedic »

Hi All
The bracket to which the driver’s door catch attaches inside the A pillar is loose on my IFS. I pulled off the plastic panel in the driver’s foot well to see if a can reach it but access is severely limited. What I did feel is that the whole bracket has detached somehow inside the body. Any suggestions on how to re-attach it.
Thanks
Dave
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Re: Drivers door catch

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Dave, are you referring to the metal "striker" that is mounted on the body (to your left) if you stand in front of the open door facing the driver seat? AFAIK those nuts are spot welded to the body and you need only tighten the bolts from the striker plate side. Unless something broke inside the pillar.

It would help if you could post a photo of what is causing your grief, then I will endevour to assist some more!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Theunis I think David is referring to the door stay (on the hinge side). Not sure myself how they are attached mounted .... would have to look, but the SFA may differ from the IFS.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Opsmedic »

Got the offending part out. It is spot welded on four places within the pillar and all of those welds have come loose. I am going to try pop rivet it into place and see how long that will last. To weld it back into place is going to be impossible.
Attachments
DSCF4248.JPG
DSCF4248.JPG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

You can try the pop-rivets but I'm not too sure how long that will hold ..... they're not very strong. I assume that the flange with the holes is inside the pillar while the mounting for the stay arm protrudes through to the outside. In this case it would be better to weld a couple of 6mm nuts to the rear of the flange over the holes in line with the holes on the pillar and then just bolt it in place from the outside while holding it in position from the inside. Use a couple of short verandah bolts, they have a very flat head. If you are not comfortable welding on thin material with little or no meat, then brazing might be a better DIY option.

Good luck.

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rebel 4x4
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

I would try riv nuts, using countersunk screws.
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rivnuts would stand a little proud and keep the flange from seating ... could work though. :think:

Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Opsmedic »

Did a real DIY on it. Drilled two holes on the parts that look linke wings and glued on to nylon lock nuts with Pratley because don't have a welding kit. Two bolts from the front side and bolted it back in place. The bolt heads have enough clearance but I will have to secure to opposite end somehow to the A pillar there is quite a bit of movement and I am worried that i will crack the door frame.

Return to “The Workshop”