Spare Wheel Carrier - Ideas for self build please.

Members' DIY projects
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Spare Wheel Carrier - Ideas for self build please.

Post by Johannes van die See »

I'm planning on building my own rear bumper with spare wheel carriers during my next off period back home end July.
Starting with my plans and ideas and need some info on where to find the locking latches for the spare wheel carriers.
Any ideas for the bumper would be nice thanks.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Spare Wheel Carrier Locking Latch - Product Search

Post by Family_Dog »

Johannes,

Keep it simple - make your own.
SWC Locking System.jpg
SWC Locking System.jpg (124.25 KiB) Viewed 4718 times

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Lekke oom Eric, I like that idea much more!
Thanks!
Image Link Broken
hatvani
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Dar es Salaam
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux 2.5TD D4D. 4" lift with 32x11.5x15 tires, A-bar, Hannibal roof rack with Eezy Awn tent..

Post by hatvani »

I'm thinking something similar, but incorporating the existing tow bar I have as the base of the swing arm. It's one of those bars with the full width of the vehicle. Will it be solid enough?
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

hatvani wrote:I'm thinking something similar, but incorporating the existing tow bar I have as the base of the swing arm. It's one of those bars with the full width of the vehicle. Will it be solid enough?
Tom
For one spare wheel it should be solid enough, two spare wheels might get a bit heavy.
I'm planning for two so I would much rather build a complete new towbar/rear bumper that can handle the load.
Image Link Broken
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Johannes, take note of that "L-shaped" lever far left of the bumper. That locks the SWC in the open position so that it does not swing to & fro when it is open, thereby damaging the tailgate. It simply falls into an appropriate hole and locks the Swing arm in the open position It is held firmly in place by means of a spring to force it down into the hole.

-F_D.

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

I already zoomed in on that lever Oom Eric, nice idea!
I'm wondering now, don't the speed cops give you problems with the spare wheel covering
most of the number plate?
Second question will two 33" wheels fit on the back without covering the tail lights.
Image Link Broken
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Johannes, herinner my oor so 2 weke dat ek vir jou n foto van my bumper se latches neem. Ook n gawe plan. Ek kan netnie nou nie, want my bakkie is nie naby my nie, maar oor so 2 weke is hy terug.
ImageImage
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

ToyX4 wrote:Johannes, herinner my oor so 2 weke dat ek vir jou n foto van my bumper se latches neem. Ook n gawe plan. Ek kan netnie nou nie, want my bakkie is nie naby my nie, maar oor so 2 weke is hy terug.
Dis reg tjom dankie :thumbup:
Image Link Broken
Family_Dog

Re: Spare Wheel Carrier - Ideas for self build please.

Post by Family_Dog »

Johannes, I have another numberplate - a square one - that bolts on to the outside of the spare wheel, so nope, that is not a problem. The number plate light is movable too, so I can reposition it if I have to.

I have photos of the bumper with a 31" Cooper STT tyre fitted, just can't seem to locate them now. If I do find them, I'll post one or two to get an idea of how it all looks when finished.

-F_D

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That looks like a seriously bulky heavy duty clip in the pic. .... Like overkill. What about the normal 'pin type' tail gate clips like Thys posted here ... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..... they come in different sizes and the bigger ones are more than sturdy enough to hold a swing-arm ... and they can be locked as well. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Mud Dog wrote:That looks like a seriously bulky heavy duty clip in the pic. .... Like overkill. What about the normal 'pin type' tail gate clips like Thys posted here ... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..... they come in different sizes and the bigger ones are more than sturdy enough to hold a swing-arm ... and they can be locked as well. ;-)
Thanks Andy, I agree the latches I posted are some what of an overkill!
Image Link Broken
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:That looks like a seriously bulky heavy duty clip in the pic. .... Like overkill. What about the normal 'pin type' tail gate clips like Thys posted here ... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ..... they come in different sizes and the bigger ones are more than sturdy enough to hold a swing-arm ... and they can be locked as well. ;-)
They may be bulky and heavy, but are about the only clips that work properly, the others tend to rattle.
Johannes, spend the extra $$ and get the right thing :thumbup:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

OOOOMS wrote:
They may be bulky and heavy, but are about the only clips that work properly, the others tend to rattle.
Goeie punt Mark, sien dit is hoekom ek die plek so baie like, al die slim manne kan help met
raad.
Ek dink aan al die opsies, wat van n double wheel carrier wat in plaas van kant toe swaai eerder na agter toe af sak
en horisontaal onder die tailgate sal wees as die tailgate oop is, of dalk heeltemal af sak sodat dit vertikaal onder die
bumper hang, gaan seker bietjie swaar wees om weer op te lig en te lock ne?
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Van daai tipe het ek al 'n paar gesien wat baie netjies lyk en selfs 'n alu plaat agter het wat dan 'n tafeltjie word as dit in die horizontale possissie is .... maar die GROOT downfall is dat dit doners swaar is on te lig. Bianca sal erg sukkel daarmee. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Mud Dog wrote:Van daai tipe het ek al 'n paar gesien wat baie netjies lyk en selfs 'n alu plaat agter het wat dan 'n tafeltjie word as dit in die horizontale possissie is .... maar die GROOT downfall is dat dit doners swaar is on te lig. Bianca sal erg sukkel daarmee. ;-)
:laugh2: I'll save her the gym costs and give her a good workout on my spare wheel carrier then.....
Eish dit klink rof..... :twisted:
Image Link Broken
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja, dit klink 'rof' .... :laugh2: .... the thing is, if you were to make use of some kind of assisting mechanism, you might have a problem with it being too hard to pull down in the absence of a spare ..... most of the weight is the wheel itself. :think:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:Van daai tipe het ek al 'n paar gesien wat baie netjies lyk en selfs 'n alu plaat agter het wat dan 'n tafeltjie word as dit in die horizontale possissie is .... maar die GROOT downfall is dat dit doners swaar is on te lig. Bianca sal erg sukkel daarmee. ;-)
Jy stem saam daai wiel op en af die heele tyd is nie lekker nie :thumbdown: Ek het self so een op my SFA gehad.....kortpad geneem en die skoolgeld betaal. Dit mag dalk vis sekere werk maar probleem 1
- as jy kinners het, moet jy dit self oop / toe maak, hulle kan nie en dit is eers dan dat jy agter kom dat hulle elke 20 minute iets wil uithaal of insit....
Nr2: Daai wiel is altyd vol stof :!: En jy het 2 hande nodig en elbow grease nodig om dit oop en toe te maak, so jy is altyd vuil :thumbdown:
Nr3: Die konstruksie van so iets is baie moeilik om stewig te maak om rede jy 'n lang arm het waarop die wiel staan / vasbout. En dit is moeilik om 'n vasmaak punt aan die bokant van jou tailgate te maak om rede die wiel voor die tailgte is en die tailgate is nie die stewigste stuk materiaal nie
Nr4: As jy nie 'n Alu Canopy het nie MOET jy amper elke keer as jy stop en iets agter wil uithaal die wiel laat sak....dit raak 'n pyn inni....jjy eet wat :!:
Nr5 Dis eintlik nie 'n wonderlike idee nie..... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Ek het al een gesien met shocks agter gemonteer, en dit kan werk, maar die vervaardiging en prosess daarvan is nie cost effective nie, ek glo.

Oh ja, daar is 'n Nr6.....nou as jy jou wiel / wiele laat sak het agter, is die goed heeltys inni pad en jou knie knoppe vol stof... :lol: :lol:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Just another thought ..... are you going to replace the standard rear bumper? Just build low level lights into the bumper and disconnect the existing ones on the bin .... you could even make a plan like that with the existing bumper. Then you don't have the light issue. A swing arm is still the best option, and if the lights are out of the way you should have space for 2 x 33' wheels. :think:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Johannes van die See wrote:
hatvani wrote:I'm thinking something similar, but incorporating the existing tow bar I have as the base of the swing arm. It's one of those bars with the full width of the vehicle. Will it be solid enough?
Tom
For one spare wheel it should be solid enough, two spare wheels might get a bit heavy.
I'm planning for two so I would much rather build a complete new towbar/rear bumper that can handle the load.
Tom, Johannes is 100% correct here :thumbup: x1 is OK, but x2 wheels :thumbdown:

I recently saw guy with a D4D who modified his existing / standard pype bumper into a singel spare wheel carrier. Pretty neat. I did take pics but he was not to impressed, (the Sandton type.... :lol: ) Will see if I still have em? and if so post them :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dont' seem to have it anymore, this is the only one I can find....
Attachments
rollbar 001 (Medium).jpg
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

OOOOMS wrote: They may be bulky and heavy, but are about the only clips that work properly, the others tend to rattle.

The catch used in Bulldog does not rattle. When inserting the lockpin, you push against the 'springiness' in the lever.

-F_D

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Family_Dog wrote:
OOOOMS wrote: They may be bulky and heavy, but are about the only clips that work properly, the others tend to rattle.
The catch used in Bulldog does not rattle. When inserting the lockpin, you push against the 'springiness' in the lever.

-F_D
:lol: :lol: Yeh, I like that catch Eric :thumbup:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

It is rather catchy.... :lol:

-F_D

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Family_Dog wrote:It is rather catchy.... :lol:

-F_D
Catch that :thumbup:
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Julle ou manne gee goeie raad!
:thumbup:
Ek sal nou begin met n lys van pro's en con's en al die goeie idees, dan kan ek
hopenlik oor twee maande as ek by die huis kom dadelik begin bou.

Idees oor hi-lift points en plug points sal ook behulpsaam wees asb.
Ek is oop vir enige idees en voorstelle behalwe n blou bul bumper sticker :!: :!: :!:
:tease:
Image Link Broken
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Roundbar in die bumper, een aan elke kant, flush finish :wink2:
hatvani
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Dar es Salaam
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux 2.5TD D4D. 4" lift with 32x11.5x15 tires, A-bar, Hannibal roof rack with Eezy Awn tent..

Post by hatvani »

Johan,

Do you think that the displacement of the two tires so far back with their considerable weights will effect the wear on the rear suspension? I'd think it will significantly alter the original geometry.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OOOOMS wrote:Roundbar in die bumper, een aan elke kant, flush finish :wink2:
Mine (and I notice quite a few others) have square tubing ..... Thys seems to think that this is better, more sturdy for the jack insofar as much that it cannot 'roll' or pivot, but I think if it wants to go it will go and it will twist / break the tongue on the jack. :think:
hatvani wrote:Johan,

Do you think that the displacement of the two tires so far back with their considerable weights will effect the wear on the rear suspension? I'd think it will significantly alter the original geometry.
Definitely, and affect the departure angle as well as affect the load on the rear axle. I've never considered this as ideal, but in certain cases it could be the lesser of other given evils. There's not much bin space on a D/C and if I had to carry an extra spare, I would prefer it at the back (load permitting) than on the roof. Sometimes the need for an extra tank displaces the spare from it's original position .... then where does one put it? :think:

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:
OOOOMS wrote:Roundbar in die bumper, een aan elke kant, flush finish :wink2:
Mine (and I notice quite a few others) have square tubing ..... Thys seems to think that this is better, more sturdy for the jack insofar as much that it cannot 'roll' or pivot, but I think if it wants to go it will go and it will twist / break the tongue on the jack. :think:
The logic behind the round HL jackpoint is a valid one for when you want to jack the vehicle up and push it off the HL Jack in a recovery situation, but at the same time this round HL jackpoint is unstable, because of its roundness when one wants to change a tyre.

TJM makes a jackpoint in their bumpers that look like this:
that accept the Hi-Lift Jack's lifting tongue, and eliminates the twisting action of a round HL jack point. The tongue of the HL jack is strong enough when inserted into this recepticle to the proper depth to withstand the twisting force, meaning it will not break off. But then again, with enough force you can break your finger off in your ......... :twisted: :twisted:

Be that as it may, there are enough justification to have both these HL jack point configurations on a vehicle, as long as one understands that each of them has its pro's and cons, and specified uses. Fact still remains that a HL jack is a dangerous piece of equipment that could cause serious injuries if not used properly. As Mark Gunta about HL jacks... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

Hi Johan,
That fist image you posted? what exactly is it (zoomed out).
I cant see any "arm" on which the wheel would swing, or are you just showing the latch?
Thanks
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

warrenaken wrote:Hi Johan,
That fist image you posted? what exactly is it (zoomed out).
I cant see any "arm" on which the wheel would swing, or are you just showing the latch?
Thanks
Warren
That is just the latch, the wheel sits on a normal swing arm carries, I tried to find
out where to get those latches but got better ideas from the slim ooms on the forum.

Cheers
Image Link Broken
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Johannes, ipv 'n gat te boor binne indi e agter bumper, dink bietjie oor die.....? 'n square / ronde plaat wat met x4 boute bo-op die bumper soos 'n golf of soortgelyke cv met bearing binne wat kan swivel. Dan kan jy dit eenvoudig af haal soos jy wil?
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

OOOOMS wrote:Johannes, ipv 'n gat te boor binne indi e agter bumper, dink bietjie oor die.....? 'n square / ronde plaat wat met x4 boute bo-op die bumper soos 'n golf of soortgelyke cv met bearing binne wat kan swivel. Dan kan jy dit eenvoudig af haal soos jy wil?
Nie n slegte idee nie Mark, ek dink Andre "Dustydre" het so setup op sy lorie gehaad, weet net nie watse axel stub dit was nie, maar nou dat jy dit noem dink ek hell why not, so iets kan die job baie eenvoudig maak.
Ai ek like dit om met die weise ou manne te gesels.
Image Link Broken
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Johannes, hulle gebruik gewoonlik 'n citi golf se voorste stub-axle, of jy kan 'n trailer sinne ook gebruik.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

ThysdJ wrote:Johannes, hulle gebruik gewoonlik 'n citi golf se voorste stub-axle, of jy kan 'n trailer sinne ook gebruik.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Thys, ek sal kyk watter een die goedkoopste is, al wat ek nou aan dink is....
Goed en wel jy mount die stub axel, maar waarin house jy die bearings, sny hulle die wheel hub sodat net die inner
wat die bearings house oor pas dan bou jy jou arm van daaraf, of laat draai die manne die bedryf?
Verstaan julle wat ek bedoel?
Image Link Broken
rydaar rocky
Town: piketberg
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 sfa
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by rydaar rocky »

Thanks for the encouragement and good ideas.
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

Saw a hilux last night with a really nice swing arm. It was very similar to Eric's in design but was mounted on the right of the std tube bumper.
If you out there, post some pics :thumbup:
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Johannes van die See wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Johannes, hulle gebruik gewoonlik 'n citi golf se voorste stub-axle, of jy kan 'n trailer sinne ook gebruik.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Thys, ek sal kyk watter een die goedkoopste is, al wat ek nou aan dink is....
Goed en wel jy mount die stub axel, maar waarin house jy die bearings, sny hulle die wheel hub sodat net die inner
wat die bearings house oor pas dan bou jy jou arm van daaraf, of laat draai die manne die bedryf?

Verstaan julle wat ek bedoel?
Image Link Broken

Return to “Build your own:”