Other ways to start an automatic vehicle required

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Other ways to start an automatic vehicle required

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Okay here is the problem, if you are driving an automatic car, bakkie or van and it will not start because the battery is flat, what other way is there that you can start this vehicle?

If you are stuck out in the country and there is no way that you can get a jump start because your starter motor is also shot.

And there is no way that you can obtain another battery, what do you do?

Your comments are required here please.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Other ways to start an automatic vehicle required

Post by Mud Dog »

If you can get it to roll at more than 35 kmph, the torque converter should 'kick in' for a run start.

Just an idea off the top of my head (never heard of this before and not even sure that it would work) is to remove one of the plugs, make sure that the piston is about ½ way past tdc on it's way down, pour a little lighter fuel or petrol into the plug hole and get a light to it ....might just be enough to turn the motor over so that one of the other pistons that is ½ way on it's way up on compression fires. You might have a problem getting the removed plug back while the motor is running, but at least you would be able to get to a point of help. (If it works) ..... :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes you are partly correct, I spoke to a friend of mine just now, he said that you have to tow the vehicle in DRIVE up to a speed of at least 60km per hour with the key ignition switched on, the vehicle will then start, on tar this sounds fine but off-road, well it could be quiet hectic indeed and interesting as well :yahoo: here we come watch out :thumbup:

Your other method I have no idea if it will work, maybe somebody can try and then let us know? :twisted:

Thank's for the input :cooldude:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

We did this once with an old automatic Chev Impala (the run start) .... funnily enough up on the Hogsback. Someone had left the radio on and the battery ran down overnight. We had heard about the high speed start and if IIRC we were told a speed of 40 kmph was required. We had no other options that we could think of and nothing left to loose. We figured that if it didn't start at least we would be closer to neighbours at the end of the downhill run so we wouldn't have to walk too far for help. The only snag was that it was a gravel road with occasional drainage furrows across it. As it turned out, it was a little bumpy but worked just fine and kicked in before the 40kmph mark.

As far as the other idea is concerned, I was thinking of a scenario where you have no downhill run and no other vehicle to tow you. I have no idea if it would work, but if there was no other option, I would try it. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gunta
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I switched of my car going down a hill and put in neutral . When I put it back into drive nothing happened, so I had to start the car with the key again. Maybe that run start over 40km/h only works on some. I have often thought how one can start an auto if the battery is flat. Need to do some research.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Post by Uys »

Automatic vehicles start when you turn the key! That's it!
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

That has been my experience as well.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

We were at a small landing strip in Ovamboland, i watched a few airforce guys wrap a tow strap around a Dacota propeller cone they gave it a light pull sideways with a landrover and the thing fired! (one piece of junk starting another!)
They revved the one motor to charge the batteries and eventually the other one started by itself, leaving a puff of smoke and a puddle of oil under each motor.
I refused a lift back to Ondangwa and took a truck that took us 4 days instead (much safer!)

Maybe you can wrap a strap around your cranck pulley! :eh:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

It would be better to put a crank on the pulley and start it by hand like the old Ford T car. :lmao: :lmao:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sheesh! :shock2: I didn't think that was possible with the more modern high compression motors .... some cars were supplied with crank handles still when I was a younger youngster. :D:

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I saw how a guy cranked a V8 Range Rover and it does work.Always thought that it actually is a clever mod
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Friend of mine had this old 1970 Citroen GS and cranking it was his favourite party trick... Shame, hy het nie speelgoed gehad toe hy klein was nie... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

We had an old Peogeot 404 station wagon with a crank start when I was a kid.
Our old Vaaljapie tractor also started with a crank.
Maybe all you gusys with auto's should install a crank.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

You can also install a little 2-stroke motor to turn the big one.Like the Russians
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Or use a cartridge.
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Allan, Dakota ( and most piston aircraft ) is fired by magneto's. Any movement on the prop will produce spark. Car : dead battery, no spark , no joy. If you can turn the engine over, maybe some spark from he alternator , depending on the wiring. Older cars, maybe, new computerised wonders, I doubt it.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.

Return to “Open Discussion”