Skipper's Licence, Inland Waters

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Skipper's Licence, Inland Waters

Post by Family_Dog »

I was advised at the VR Boating Club today that we have to get our Skipper's Licence before August. One day's instruction and a handful of documents, including a fitness test from your Doctor. Not to forget the obligatory R1200.00

Will probably do mine next month... sigh! More expense. My boat is just over one year old, have no idea if it has built-in buoyancy or not. Anybody else own a Fazer?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pietermartizburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4lt V6 (Vigo)

Re: Skipper's Licence, Inland Waters

Post by djkleu »

HI F-B
R licence is required from August. Eye Test, Medical , four ID photos and Boat inspection.
I paid R550 for the course, R250 for boat inspection and number.
I have a friend who has a fazier, will check with him and post answer on the bouyancy.
Regards
Jon
djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by djkleu »

Hi FB
This is the story according to him.
WHere the serial number plate is by the motor well, there is a serial number for your boat, then there should be a L number with a figure showing how many litres of flotation there is, if any.
Apparently the Fazer only started getting flotation installed from about 2002, not sure what year yours is, but look for the plate and see if there is flotation number and figure put in.
Failing that they can put polyurethane flotation in for you.
Hope this helps
Jon
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info! My Fazer was bought December 2006, so it should have it fitted then. Strange, my old boat (bought in the '70s) even had Bouyancy chambers.

My biggest fear is trying to stay awake during the lectures, I tend to get bored easily and then fall asleep... :mrgreen: I'm too old for having to go back to school again :mrgreen:

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by djkleu »

The lectures are really basic, take 5 minutes to learn, and most of it is just basic common boating sense.
Dont even worry about it.
SLeep in the lectures and read the book after :D wards
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I downloaded the Regulations and started reading through them - 96 pages! But as you say, mostly common sense.

http://www.samsa.org.za/siteimgs/acts/N ... 202007.pdf

I've been boating on inland waters for most of my life, so shouldn't be a problem. Places where this is long overdue include the Vaal Dam, not a place anyone wants to be on water during a bad storm. The waves get big, considering you're on inland waters. And the Alohol Brigade then become fearless...

-F_D

djkleu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by djkleu »

I personally think it is a good idea. There have been too many boating deaths and incidents.
If you are caught over the limit on a boat from August it is the same as being on the road over the limit, fines and jail ?
Lets just hope that it is patrolled properly.
Some cowboy here cut off his daughters are last week, not nice, boats are serious things and not to be trifled with.
Long overdue is my feeling.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I agree, it's the usual story. The lame few destroy it for everybody. Anyway, let's hope it sorts out the Cowboys amongs us. Most (if not all) power boat Clubs have their own set of safety rules anyway, so it's a matter of now enforcing them nationally.

My boat apparently has foam, according to the serial #YB2691106FOAMED which is scratched in on the plate next to the motor.

1106 would seem to refer to the year, as I ordered it in November 2006 and got it three weeks later.

Still think R1200 is a bit rough, though! Could buy me a decent tyre for that price. :P

-F_D

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Eric... you know what else you can do with R1200? You can get your skippers licence! :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Yeah.... it seems that this is the way I am going to have to go :evil:

Seems a waste to pay all that dosh just to learn what you already regard as common-sense and then put your cell-number on the boat & trailer for all to see.

Aah well, gotta do my bit to perk the economy up. What next - a 4x4 licence :twisted: ?

-F_D

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Is this for a boat that has an engine, or a sail, how is a boat defined, what about a windsurfer or a surf board, raft made from drums and wood, floating jetty, jet ski, wet bike and what if a farmer for example has his own dam that is large enough for him to use his boat on, what about the guys who fish for troat and they have the waders with the tube, I forsee trouble heading this way for many people, what about the African who lives in the lullies and he has a canoe that he uses to get across a river in The Transkie, or who goes fishing up a river. :?:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

It seems it is only for boats larger than 3M and having an engine in excess of 15HP.

Common sense prevails whatever craft one is in. I remember arriving at the Vaal Dam some years back and noticed a guy sitting in a canoe out in the water. I thought this was strange, because there was a bad electric storm just before our arrival. It later turned out that the guy had been struck by lightning and half his body was charred. He didn't survive.

Reflect on how many folk have drowned at the VD by capsizing their canoes. No lifejackets, and many of them can't make the swim back to shore. We pulled out some people in this predicament and the reek of brandy on their breath was overwhelming.

Another time we were there, some idiot in a light single-engined aircraft thought it funny to buzz the fleet of sailing craft during a regatta. He was flying very low and just missed their masts. Until he misjudged, and ploughed right into the Dam, aircraft & all. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the very people he was aggravating had to pull him out of the aircraft onto the shore. We were watching all this from a distance, and by the time we arrived, someone had whisked him away before the regatta chaps decided to sort him out a bit more.

Idiots! :evil:

-F_D

SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes I have also seen people who use canoes and they do not even have the basic life jackets, even if they do not wear them while fishing, however fools will be fools.

Even on a paddle ski life jackets should be worn, no matter who you think you are.

I used to have a 3.65m Prestige brand new inflatable boat, had a 15Hp Ivenrude motor, used to pull my wife on a sauser on fresh water, she was very good at it, on salt water I pulled her on ski's, it worked very well, however due to the ongoing back problems many years ago, I sold it, times change and now we are into 4x4'ing.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Post by Engel »

Did my skippers about 10 years ago. Never received a card type lisence. ps. Its deep sea and I think 100t vessel. Have seen some really bad boating accidents. Almost all booze related and windgat laaities!
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek dink party mense raak net so bietjie mak as dit by die see kom. Hulle weet nie so mooi hoe om daai golwe en branders te negotiate nie. Ek dink hulle vergeet so nou en dan om hulle freewheelhubs te sluit :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Engel »

Het my copy gister gekry! Baie goeie diens gekry!

Oom eric, sit bulldog se engine in die boot dan is jy onder 15 hp dan het jy nie n lisence nodig nie!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Guys.

Eric you are right. Everything with propulsion of over 15HP needs a license. The length does not matter.
Regarding your flotation-You will need 30% flotation of the total weight of your boat (including crew and motor). IOW .If your total mass is 1000kg.You will need 300 liters of flotation.
On the sea you need 60%.
You guys up in the gold/platinum fields always pay more. :cry:
We charge R750 for Inland and R900 for the sea license down in Slaapstad
Here is our web: http://www.saskipper.com

Cheers
George
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Engel wrote:Het my copy gister gekry! Baie goeie diens gekry!

Oom eric, sit bulldog se engine in die boot dan is jy onder 15 hp dan het jy nie n lisence nodig nie!
Nuwe Ou-Toppie,

Bulldog se 'starter-moptor' gee meer as 15hp uit... Jy dink seker van 'n Das..Dut...Disb... Ai tog, daai ding wat djy ry! :twisted:

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Eric, ek dink jou wou sê daai ding wat hy in gesleep word :twisted:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

CasKru wrote:Eric, ek dink jou wou sê daai ding wat hy in gesleep word :twisted:
Cassie, dit is presies wat ek wou gese het! :) Dankie vir die help, ek kon nooit daai snaakse woord uitkry nie...

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
To God be the glory
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Engel »

watchit!! of gaan julle my ook ban en onder sensuur plaas :shock: tuffies, dink julle gatte stink nie :twisted: :P :P

aggenee, sorrie, hou my hier of my lewe gaan eindig. Wil ook met n vet lyf teen duine afseil voordat ek doodgaan!! :?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Herman

Jy en Ewald moet onmiddelik julle sin vir humor staak. Indien julle dit nie doen nie gaan die custodians van die land-bruiser-club van zimbabwe en hulle presedent Rob Mogabe jou internet kanseleer. En as jy eers aan internetlessness ly gaan niemand van jou vriende meer met 'n tang aan jou wil vat nie.

As dit nie help nie en jy lig nog steeds 'n opinie of maak grappies gaan hulle jou baas bel en kyk of hulle jou ge-fire kan kry.

As jy dan nog 'n sin vir humor oor het gaan hulle jou email afsny en jou posbus by die huis kom konfiskeer en as jy dan nog nie ophou grappies maak nie kom vat hulle sommer jou selfoon en datsun se sleutels ook - OPPAS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

BenHurBul wrote:Herman

Jy en Ewald moet onmiddelik julle sin vir humor staak. Indien julle dit nie doen nie gaan die custodians van die land-bruiser-club van zimbabwe en hulle presedent Rob Mogabe jou internet kanseleer. En as jy eers aan internetlessness ly gaan niemand van jou vriende meer met 'n tang aan jou wil vat nie.

As dit nie help nie en jy lig nog steeds 'n opinie of maak grappies gaan hulle jou baas bel en kyk of hulle jou ge-fire kan kry.

As jy dan nog 'n sin vir humor oor het gaan hulle jou email afsny en jou posbus by die huis kom konfiskeer en as jy dan nog nie ophou grappies maak nie kom vat hulle sommer jou selfoon en datsun se sleutels ook - OPPAS!!!
Herman

As jy dan nog 'n sin vir humor oor het gaan hulle jou email afsny en jou posbus by die huis kom konfiskeer en as jy dan nog nie ophou grappies maak nie kom vat hulle sommer jou selfoon en datsun se sleutels ook - OPPAS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
En laat jou n Blou Bul trui dra in die publiek :lol: :lol:
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Engel »

sorrie bennie....vra verskoning.....sallie weer nie. los net die datsun uit asb tog!!wil graag n hilux koop en sukkel nie

Niel, jy joke nie so oor n bloubul
trui nie ok!! :shock:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Herman

Hierdie is nou jou laaste kaans jy mag nie die Hilux se naam in disrepute bring nie. Jy mag nooit weer iets slegs van 'n Hilux sê nie, nie hier of op enige ander forum of even in die privaatheid van jou huis of even in jou gedagtes so iets dink nie. Onthou ek read mense se minds. As ons jou weer vang sal ons jou probeer intimideer deur ons chommie wat by die Zimbabwiese departement van ongeregtigheid werk te kry om vir jou bangmaak emails te stuur en jou te intimideer. Dan sal ons die Zano PF kry om jou Datsun te konfiskeer. :twisted: :twisted:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Engel, moet ek hom saam met Bennie stuur of self aflewer :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bennie, Lyk my ek is gef@#$. Ek sal net op die forum kan gesels (nie dat ek regtig op die ander wil gesels nie) want ek het 'n sin vir humor :shock: :shock:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Bly maar hier waar dit safe is :lol: :lol:
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Hi guys ,what is this you are talking about ,is it new law ,for boating ?

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Engel »

yip New law

You are not allowed to operate a vessel with a motor bigger than 15hp in water if you dont have a competency certificate [skippers lisence]. That means your laaitie of 12 cant drive your boat. Its all ok but your insurance dont have to pay or you will be guilty if you make any accident on the water. Harties and all the big places will police and the boatyard [camping spot] are not allowed to let you launch witout a skippers! Like driving your car without a lisence!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

They should start giving licenses to Dustbin drivers to show they're sane as they are driving Dustbins :shock: :shock:
To God be the glory
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Engel »

Ek try nog heeltyd die ding on topic hou dan kom maak jy sulke onverantwoordelike kommin...taar. Met respek van die datsun en sy baas praat OK :shock:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

It's an old law, but it is only now being enforced for Inland Recreational Waters. We need a "R" licence for inland boating purposes, guys at the Coast require a different licence.

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Went for the test yesterday, piece of cake! The First Aid course was a bit long and drawn out, but that was because the Instructor was a bit too thorough, going into procedures that are not required in terms of the SAMSA requirements.

Will probably get the results in a week or so.

-F_D

Rolbos
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hi Lux 3.0Lt Twin Cam

Post by Rolbos »

Hi manne, ek en my 5 seuns moet almal die nuwe Skippers lisensie kry. By verdere navrae @R1,500 per kop, gaan dit ons R9,000.00 kos. Is dit nie beaglik nie.
Waar kan ek tog iets in die nuwe Suid Afrika kry wat 'n ou nie so dood wurg nie.
Ek bly in Bellville en ons ry maar op damme en riviere. Meestal op die Hermanus Lagoon.
Kan iemand help ?.
Groete.
"Wat jy gee, bepaal hoe gelukkig jy lewe"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hi Louis
Ons prys is R1200 en ons is in Durbanville.
Kontak ons by 021-9753281 www.saskipper.com
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I'm still awaiting the results of mine! :mad: The people who ran the course for us must be the biggest bunch of misfits ever. I have complained to the powers that be about this but they could do nothing until the papers were handed in.

-F_D

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I'm still awaiting the results of mine! :mad: The people who ran the course for us must be the biggest bunch of misfits ever. I have complained to the powers that be about this but they could do nothing until the papers were handed in.
Eric.Please contact SAMSA.They take this very serious and will make work of this.If you submitted all your documents than the trainers that you dealt with is acting fraudulently.
www.samsa.org.za
PRETORIA
(HEAD QUARTERS)

161 Lynnwood Rd cnr Duncan Street
Brooklyn

P O Box 13186
Hatfield

Tel: +27 (0) 12 366 2600
Fax: +27 (0) 12 366 2601
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

George, I have spoken to them twice, I have all the dates and relevant data at work still. Apparently the guy I worked through in Potch is a member of the Deep Sea Anglers (I'm under correction here...) and when I phoned them as well, the girlie just said: "Oh, Willie again...".

If I get a chance, will take this up with them tomorrow. Willie has said he has now eventually (as of Jan this year) eventually handed the papers in, so I thought I would give him a few weeks to see what materialises. But I will never recommend any one to him again, ever!

-F_D

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Eric speak to Imraan or Karin.I can supply you with their e-mail adresses if you need to.
These guys are realy giving our industry a bad name :evil: :evil: :thumbdown:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

George, I have spoken to Imraan. I guess it's time I did this again. Please PM me the email address, I think I only have his phone number at work. Maybe he can take action against this guy. Geez, I did the course on the coldest day of the year at Potch Dam nearly two years ago, it was freezing and they still left the doors of the club house open so that the arctic wind coming off Potch Dam could blow right through and chill us to the bone.

-Chilly_Willy.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”