Hilux 3.0 d4d mapping question?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jagerbom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: Fj Cruiser , Suzuki Samurai met attitude en my geel monster Can-Am Renegade 800 4x4

Hilux 3.0 d4d mapping question?

Post by Jagerbom »

Whom can help me on the quest to get the new Prado mapping for the 3.0d4d
on my sc 4x4 bakkie.The new prado comes out with the 3.0d4d and puts out more then 400 Nm
and my existing engine one just past 340Nm.The problem i have is with the 31x10.5x15
BF Muds Km2 i have on.Taking a lot of power turning them. :thumbdown:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Hilux 3.0 d4d mapping question?

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi why not chip and dyno and you get approx. 390nm?
Jagerbom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Fj Cruiser , Suzuki Samurai met attitude en my geel monster Can-Am Renegade 800 4x4

Post by Jagerbom »

Die ding is Oooms as jy chip dan verloor jy jou waarborg op jou voertuig.Nou hoekom kan jy nie
net die map kry van die prado en op die huidige computer box laai nie.Want dis al wat sac ook doen hul kan
net nie die mapping verander nie nou sit hul , hul eie box by wat programeerbaar is.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Die chip wat ek in het is 'n plug and play unit, as hy in gaan vir 'n diens, haal ek hom uit!

Sal you pm, later!
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Kyk bietjie hierna - http://www.turbochip.co.za/chiptuning.htm
Bel vir Elton en gesels met hom. Dis nie n chip nie. Hy herprogrammeer jou kar se ECU, soos wat jy wil doen. Wou dit self al op die Ford doen, maar kom nooit daarby uit nie.

Ek sien nou daai website word nie geupdate nie, maar ek is seker hy het al D4D's gedoen.
ImageImage
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Post by Mars67 »

Who would know if they only change the map or if there are other mods? A Toyota Techie told me that they use a different EGR Valve?
Jagerbom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Jagerbom »

Dumb question what is a EGr valve?Does it regulate your boost?
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

The prado afaik uses a slightly different turbo, different EGR valve, Bigger intercooler and obviously other software. The map from a prado won't work on a S/C D4D, as the vehicle has a completely different setup with other control units and modules that work in the ECU.

The basic engine is the same, but the rest is different, as it is a completely different vehicle. Also the reason why the Hilux is so low spec on torque is to make them last longer under harsh conditions which a prado will most likely not be subjected to.

I will be honest and say, go for something like a plug and play unit if you want a bit more power.

Also just remeber that the more you have the more you want...... :twisted: :twisted:
Johan Marais
Jagerbom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Jagerbom »

Hehe n mens wit altyd meer he as dit begin lekker raak :twisted:
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mars67 »

I suppose this question has been asked several times but here goes anyway. Will the chip not place undue strain on components such as the Injection pump?

The installers say no, they just optimise the setup for that particular engine but it is also possible to program a "high performance" profile for which they are not prepared to take any responsibility.
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mars67 »

Not a dumb question Jager. It is the Exgaust Gas Recirculation Valve which returns some of the exhaust gasses to the cylinders. The purpose is to reduce the amount of excess oxygen to reduce NOx emissions. Also exhaust gas has a higher specific heat than air and so serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. There are trade offs however. Adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. In modern engines where the engine is electronically controlled the EGR can actually help to improve performance.

AFAIK It does not have anything directly to do with the boost of the turbo.
Jagerbom
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Jagerbom »

Thank you-If thats the case i see some people put a small ball bearing in the vacuum pipe of the EGR valve?
Is that to keep it close so more clean air can be sucked in the chamber?
Mars67
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mars67 »

No it is to disable the EGR Valve so that no exhaust gases are recirculated. This is based on the premise that the EGR, especially the old generation types, which were not controlled by the ECU reduced performance of the engine. With the new EGR's it is not that simple. You will be getting false readings into the ECU probably leading to the Engine Management light coming on. Well designed EGR systems can actually increase performance as it serves to reduce the combustion temperatures reducing the likelyhood of detonation. They can therefore use more aggressive fuelling maps.

Here is an excellent article on the topic. http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

Return to “The Workshop”