Splutter at low rev

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
David James adams
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2000 2.7 Toyota hilux

Splutter at low rev

Post by David James adams »

Hey guys.
I drive a 2000 model 2.7 hilux.
I bought it 2 years ago with 380000km it now has 430000km on the clock. It has been serviced every 10000 for the first 400000km but I recently pushed it to 250000km inbetween services.
Before my last service I noticed a slight splutter when the revs are below 1500rpm I then changed all the filters and spark plugs and did a full service.
This splutter didn’t get any better although the bakkie runs fine when the revs go above 2500rpm and my economy is still good.

I noticed that one of the vacuum pipes was missing (bypassing a sensor) but adding it back didn’t fix the problem

I have a slight leak in my break booster, causing a hissing sound from the air leak.

I blanked off the vacuum pipe to the break booster to test, this also didn’t change anything. -except for no breaks-

Has anyone got a clue what else to look at?

I saw in an Australian forum something about removing a pin in the diagnostic box which allows the engine to automatically sort out its timing, but I’m cautious to just remove the bridging pin like suggested.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Splutter at low rev

Post by pietpetoors »

Replace the plug wires. That is mostly either plugs or plug leads.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Also check idle air control valve, at your millage id will be blocked. Mine now on 480,000 k km

See:
viewtopic.php?t=36900
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome David! :thumbup:

I would do as Pieter suggested and since you've already changed the plugs, I would replace the plug leads next. Also check the dizzy rotor and rotor cap and the coil lead if the coil is not part of the dizzy.

If the motor runs as well as you say with good fuel economy, the chances of a mechanical problem are slim but you could do a compression test for peace of mind and eliminate poor compression as the cause. Injector problems is normally something associated with diesel motors and not so much with their petrol counterparts, but it's not impossible, so dirty or worn injectors at your vehicle's mileage is also a possibility.

Hope you find the problem without too much difficulty. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”